• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRKO Program Cahnge

In Cleveland they have sports with WKNR ESPN 850 and also there's a sister station WWGK 1540 with more sports, branded as "KNR2". Not that they do this (yet) but we could almost picture WXKS 1200 as "RKO2"...similar with conservative talk, and situations like above.

The issue with Talk1200 has been resolved....someone suggested I contact the program directly to let them know what was going on....I contacted "at home with Gary Sullivan" via Twitter, initially I had sent multiple emails to the program director at Talk1200 and Iheart to no avail, I sent emails for a month or so and no one listened or bothered to respond in any way shape or form.....anyway...I sent a Twitter message on a Friday directly to the show and that Sunday the issue was resolved...it has been two Sundays now and the issue has not occurred. Thank you for the advice!

Yes..from his site:
"Mike began his talk radio career in December 1972 at WEIM (Fitchburg MA). His program hosting affiliation includes:

National Syndication – Coast-to-Coast, Host
New York – WABC

Boston – WBZ, WHDH, WRKQ (sic), WITS, WBOS-FM"

RKO automation/computer is off kilter.Newscast at :51 past, several minutes of dead air at top of hour. iHeart happens.

RKO automation/computer is off kilter.Newscast at :51 past, several minutes of dead air at top of hour. iHeart happens.

Happens at smaller stations too. One day two weeks ago the automation at the all-automated/Voice-Tracked Oldies Station in my market was 45 minutes fast. The Top of the Hour News ,the commercials that accompany news, and the legal ID aired at 11:12AM (so I thought the automation was 12 mins slow) and then The Wolfman Jack Show, which normally airs Noon-1PM began airing at 11:15AM. (That's when I realized their automation was 45 mins fast).

apparently syncing computer times with ntp is an unknown quantity to radio folks :)

iHeart happens--RKO was stuck in a string of newscasts, ads and promos after 3 pm.Howie was finally joined in progress at 3:22

also concerning iHeart happens,.......
I'm SURE all those Septuagenarians and Octogenarians are SO grateful to learn what "Iggy Azalea"s" latest album to drop is all about on the relentless music updates on Ole Man Rea's "program". :cool:

I'm SURE all those Septuagenarians and Octogenarians are SO grateful to learn what "Iggy Azalea"s" latest album to drop is all about on the relentless music updates on Ole Man Rea's "program". :cool:

Meanwhile there are "aging prostate" spots airing on The Bull.

I'm sure those 30 year old country fans are appreciative to hear about what's in store for them in another 20 years.

Don't take everything personally. It's the cost of doing business.

You've mentioned this before....

This is not a mistake....gotta get that reach, and gotta use that unsold inventory space to promote the company brand any way you can!

I'm sure it helps build brand awareness of the iHeart app...and the message that it contains ALL kinds of music....and reinforces that WBZ is part of a much bigger organization.

This is not a mistake....gotta get that reach, and gotta use that unsold inventory space to promote the company brand any way you can!

I'm sure it helps build brand awareness of the iHeart app...and the message that it contains ALL kinds of music....and reinforces that WBZ is part of a much bigger organization.

gotta get those sales trolls out to get more (insert heavy indian accent here)..... "NeeeeeeNaaaaa's" lightbulb spots to fill those "holes"! :mad:

gotta get those sales trolls out to get more (insert heavy indian accent here)..... "NeeeeeeNaaaaa's" lightbulb spots to fill those "holes"! :mad:

It was once told to me by a Boston Sales Manager, that his goal was to always be 85% sold out...that way you know your prices are set right....and you can accommodate the last minute "I just have to have this on the air" client...who you can charge through the nose. ;-)

Also, most stations have a "fire sale" of unused inventory the day before the log gets printed.

I don't know if this is true...but it's what I was told by one person.

It was once told to me by a Boston Sales Manager, that his goal was to always be 85% sold out...that way you know your prices are set right....and you can accommodate the last minute "I just have to have this on the air" client...who you can charge through the nose. ;-)

Also, most stations have a "fire sale" of unused inventory the day before the log gets printed.

I don't know if this is true...but it's what I was told by one person.

Logs are prepared late the afternoon before the broadcast day or the weekend. Today they are seldom printed, as they are electronically ingested into a stations control system.

The 85% goal is a good objective, but trying to run "full" all the time is even better. Yes, you can't accommodate last minute buys but you send a message that you are successful and the client should plan ahead of time to get the best positions.

Sales managers, just like PDs, have individual beliefs on how to run a sales organization. So opinions on pricing, sales inventory, etc., differ.

I never raised rates on last minute buys. Gouging a client never has a good payback.

Just asking: since I have no occasion to tune in to any of Entercom's or Beasley's Boston stations, do those owner/operators continually promote their respective corporate brands as heavily as does iHeart? (That's iHeart: the largest radio station owner/operator in the USA.)

When CBS owned WBZ, there was lots of cross-promotion for CBS TELEVISION fare, and the perfectly natural plug for 98.5 The Sports Hub when a Patriots or Bruins game was to air.

When Entercom still owned WRKO, there were promos for WAAF back about 5 years ago, and, more recently, mention of a Red Sox game on WEEI-FM, but other than that....

And the pre-Beasley Greater Media stations hardly ever mentioned each other.

I found none of the above obnoxious or annoying.

iHeart endlessly promotes WBZ's availability on its app, even during major news stories, as if WBZ's transmitter were outputting the power of a 100-watt light bulb.

Note to iHeart: those "in the know" are aware you now own WBZ. And those who don't know what "iHeartRadio" means probably don't really care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom