• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KWHI Brenham

ChuckTiller

Star Participant
For the past four days, I've tuned into AM1280 and it seems to be off the air. Are they off or operating at reduced power? Does anyone know?

I drove by the KWHI transmitter site on my way to/from Austin this past weekend and there was a short second tower+gin pole next to the main tower. Either some sort of maintenance on the tower...or could this have something to do with the CP for their new daytime site? I did not check to see if the station was on the air.

Station was on the air 7/19. The AM is quite viable in the area. They'd lose a lot by being off the air. It might be the upgrade or some equipment issue if at lower power.

They have a CP for 3800 watts day, which would put a fairly good signal into Houston. At night it has 72 watts and that may be what they are operating on. Daytime currently is supposed to be 1KW.

At a 5:45pm check at my Cy-Fair location I was just hearing very, very faint Country music on 1280. If KWHI is on the air, they are running at low power, presumably the 72 watt nighttime signal.

Chris Montana, KWHI's PD sent me an email: "We have been installing a new tower for the past few weeks. The old tower is in the process of being torn down and we should be back to full power later this week. We have been running on low power through the process with the towers being very close to each other." Although he didn't say, KWHI is getting closer to going to 3800 watts in the day. Certainly, it will be back at a kilowatt.

Chris Montana, KWHI's PD sent me an email: "We have been installing a new tower for the past few weeks. The old tower is in the process of being torn down

So I guess the short tower with the ginpole I saw was actually the beginnings of the new tower. If the new 3.8kW day site is about to hit the air, perhaps the existing site is being reconfigured for primarily the low power night operation...?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom