• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

94.1 HD2

ksradiogeek

Star Participant
Just noticed yesterday that "Classic KMPS" is gone and has been replaced by the blues-formatted "Delta." When did the changeover take place? I believe classic country was carried over after the flip for a bit.

at the beginning of June they swapped HD 2 programming on KKWF (100.7) and KSWD (94.1). The Classic Country programming is now on the wolf HD2.

at the beginning of June they swapped HD 2 programming on KKWF (100.7) and KSWD (94.1). The Classic Country programming is now on the wolf HD2.

If the changeover took six weeks to get noticed, what does that say about loyalty to the product?

I actually agree with AQH on this one. Who is actually listening to the subchannels? I've been in several Ubers with HD, but one and only one was listening to anything other than the HD1. In fact, I noticed that a station was in HD one time, and the driver didn't even know what I was talking about.

I actually agree with AQH on this one. Who is actually listening to the subchannels? I've been in several Ubers with HD, but one and only one was listening to anything other than the HD1. In fact, I noticed that a station was in HD one time, and the driver didn't even know what I was talking about.

HD Radio tuning is often ignored by the general public because to them, it's just a bunch of crappy stations in between the ones they want. And the general public mostly does not have HD Radios (namely at home/portable.) Many new cars still don't have it and a lot of the aftermarket car tuners I've seen barely even have an FM radio. Period. To say nothing of HD capability. But they will often play radio apps/Sirius-XM/USB sticks/Bluetooth/iPods and sometimes CDs/DVDs. And radios in general are an afterthought at best with electronics manufacturers these days. Everything is apps now and wi-fi connected.

That alone strongly supports the fact the curve of radio is moving to streaming. And you can't fight the electronics makers and the consumer/tech market (Who's going to tell THEM "You've gotten too big for your britches. So no, people can't have that big new music app everyone is talking about. Our shareholder value is far more important. So get a radio.") NO ONE would survive the backlash from that.

HD Radio tuning is often ignored by the general public because to them, it's just a bunch of crappy stations in between the ones they want. And the general public mostly does not have HD Radios (namely at home/portable.)
Your second sentence has more validity than the first. It's hard to assign a qualitative difference to a station that you can't receive. So that lack of HD radios is why the general public ignores the stations. Personally I haven't bought a radio (any radio) in at least ten years. But I got one for free a few months ago when I bought a new car. For the first time, I can receive HD. Actually I find the stations that are now on translators (and some are feeding HD stations) to be better than the full signal stations.

HD Radio tuning is often ignored by the general public because to them, it's just a bunch of crappy stations in between the ones they want. And the general public mostly does not have HD Radios (namely at home/portable.) Many new cars still don't have it and a lot of the aftermarket car tuners I've seen barely even have an FM radio. Period. To say nothing of HD capability. But they will often play radio apps/Sirius-XM/USB sticks/Bluetooth/iPods and sometimes CDs/DVDs. And radios in general are an afterthought at best with electronics manufacturers these days. Everything is apps now and wi-fi connected.

That alone strongly supports the fact the curve of radio is moving to streaming. And you can't fight the electronics makers and the consumer/tech market (Who's going to tell THEM "You've gotten too big for your britches. So no, people can't have that big new music app everyone is talking about. Our shareholder value is far more important. So get a radio.") NO ONE would survive the backlash from that.

I disagree about the aftermarket car stereos, the driver I mentioned above had put one in his car, as that model of car would have been well before HD was even thought of as standard in cars. Now though, I'm not sure what percentage of new cars have HD built in. I know the new camries do, as well as the Rav4. My mom drives a 2012 Mazda 6, which doesn't have HD but I'm pretty sure the new ones do. The one subchannel listener I had drove a Prius, but I can't remember whether it was a standard one that he had done something to enable HD or whether it was a Prius V or C, both of which have it as standard, or at least the V does. It appears that the new ones have dropped HD as a standard though, as I've had a couple newer ones lately that haven't had it, but I know that the Prius V has HD up to about 2015.

49.8% of 2018 model cars have gone out the door HD equipped. The total percentage of cars on the road with HD hovers at a little under 16%. Standard on all BMW/Mini, Bentley, Tesla and Mercedes models. Available on all VW/Audi/Porsche, Ford/Lincoln, Toyota/Lexus, KIA/Hyundai, Mazda, Volvo, Honda/Acura models. Not so much from Nissan/Infiniti, FCA/Fiat/Chrysler or GM.

Problem for radio of course is that very few car audio systems are AM/FM/HD only. If they have HD chances are great they will also have Satellite and streaming built in as well.

Problem for radio of course is that very few car audio systems are AM/FM/HD only. If they have HD chances are great they will also have Satellite and streaming built in as well.

And HD is often confused with satellite and vice-versa.

94.1 HD is currently off, including HD-1. I don't know if this is temporary, related to your observation, or what at this point.

Could be they're on their backup transmitter or site. Not all the groups have HD capabilities for their backup transmission facilities.

Could be they're on their backup transmitter or site. Not all the groups have HD capabilities for their backup transmission facilities.

That would also explain the strangely poor reception down in the Edmonds bowl this morning. I mean, every Seattle FM sounds bad in the bowl, but 94.1 was almost unintelligible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom