• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNEW on HD-2?

I was listening to the New WNEW (the new New?) and noticed the legal ID identifies WNEW-FM, WNEW-HD1 and WNYL-HD-2. Why would they need to be on another full powered station's HD-2? It's not like they get any better coverage because of a slightly different transmitter location.

Any ideas?

I was listening to the New WNEW (the new New?) and noticed the legal ID identifies WNEW-FM, WNEW-HD1 and WNYL-HD-2. Why would they need to be on another full powered station's HD-2? It's not like they get any better coverage because of a slightly different transmitter location.

Any ideas?

We've already discussed this in another thread.

WNEW was added to 92.3's HD2 after they flipped to Alt back in November.

Probably a temp move, at least until E'com figures out what they're doing.

Something Entercom is known for. They tend to use HD2 and HD3 to help gain wider coverage for either an AM outlet or a FM sister station.

I hope Pulse87ny on 92.3 hd2. Keep fingers cross
That probably won't happen because it doesn't fit with the HD-1 but I know entercom wants to launch an LGBT station on HD-2 it may not be the pulse but it maybe similar although I think ihearts Pride radio is basically Top 40.

WNEW-FM HD2 is currently Smooth Jazz. I have it on in my kitchen, since I don't have a computer there. So it's something I enjoy, even though the playlist is fairly limited.

The other day, it played "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" by Crystal Gayle, an odd choice for Smooth Jazz. I'm surprised I hadn't heard it before because most of the other songs keep repeating.

So for anyone who doesn't have access for an internet Smooth Jazz outlet, it's good to have WNEW-FM-HD2.

I know entercom wants to launch an LGBT station on HD-2

Where did you see that reported?

The problem with the concept is that members of the LGBTQ communities are not monolithic in music tastes, just as is true with other groups in society. So there is a question of what an LGBTQ station might program that is of particular appeal and is not significantly duplicated on existing stations.

WNEW-FM HD2 is currently Smooth Jazz. I have it on in my kitchen, since I don't have a computer there. So it's something I enjoy, even though the playlist is fairly limited.

The other day, it played "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" by Crystal Gayle, an odd choice for Smooth Jazz. I'm surprised I hadn't heard it before because most of the other songs keep repeating.

So for anyone who doesn't have access for an internet Smooth Jazz outlet, it's good to have WNEW-FM-HD2.

I miss CD 101.9 so much. Grew up listening to it. I wish NYC could at least get something similar to either "The Wave 94.7 HD2" from Hamilton/Toronto or KVIL HD2's "The Oasis" from Dallas. At least add a few syndicated shows. I listen to Smooth Jazz 102.7 sometimes...but like you said, Gregg, their playlist isn't an ideal one to listen to often.

The problem with the concept is that members of the LGBTQ communities are not monolithic in music tastes, just as is true with other groups in society. So there is a question of what an LGBTQ station might program that is of particular appeal and is not significantly duplicated on existing stations.

I haven't see it reported myself, so the following is just speculation:

They might want to target the audience since iHeart is doing it with their "Pride Radio" HD channels.

CBS HAD been doing it with "Prism Radio." I remember it being on 96.5-HD2 in Philly for a while. Both are/were mostly just update dance music.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle13 View Post
I know entercom wants to launch an LGBT station on HD-2

There was a brief mention on a RadioInsight post by Lance Venta - he was speculating based on domains
registered by Entercom in late June 2018 that HD Radio LGBTQ stations would be launched in 9 markets:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...com-to-launch-lgbtq-hd-brand-in-nine-markets/

Experiments with LGBTQ stations isn't that good. iHeart has Pride Radio which it put on a few HD-2 stations but I don't think it's running anymore on an HD subchannel, only on the iHeart platform.

Canada gave an LGBTQ group in Montreal the license to an AM outlet on 990, to broadcast in French. But after a while, the station was not making a profit and it's now sort of an MOR/Standards format in French.

For a while, the Austin Pride Radio station was on a local translator there. (I would hear them on the iHeart app, as I'm not in the market.) They were actually programmed totally different from the USA Pride Radio feed. Very local and voicetracked

I think an LGBTQ station that focused on artists such as Sylvester, Divine, the divas like Cher, Britney, Gaga, Celine Dion, using dance remixes or mixes from circuit type djs such as Joe Gauthreaux, Barry Harris, Tony Moran might work. Although it may only appeal to the older gay demographics that once went out and danced in the gay clubs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom