• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ALT 92.3 now have morning show

J

Joylovepulse967

92.3 now have morning show . He name is ken something. I heard first time this morning

As previously mentioned by Barry in one of the New 102.7 threads - see his post at this link:

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/sh...-Fresh-102-7&p=6213801&viewfull=1#post6213801

the host's name is Cane (full name Cane Peterson) - not Ken.

Cane has previously appeared on the 92.3 frequency in New York back in the K-Rock (WXRK) days
from April 1997 to April 2005. After stops at SiriusXM + Minnesota, he returned to New York at the
(newly defunct) Fresh 102.7 to co-host the "Carson and Cane" morning show (with Karen Carson)
from July 2014 to December 2016.

From January 2017 to last Friday the 13th he hosted afternoons at Fresh after Jeffrey Jameson
was brought in to join Carson in mornings.

Yes. If I remember correctly, Crazy Cabbie (known for being part of Howard Stern on both K-Rock and the early Sirius days) was is producer back when Cane was on afternoons on K-Rock. Goes to show that although we perceive DJs to be synonymous with specific formats, but our perceptions are not sound.

Heck Adam 12 from Indie 617 (formally RadioBDC) worked weekends as "Holleran" on a WWBX (Hot AC) when 104.1 WBCN went defunct.

This station continues to go downhill.

It has just had two very good books, ranking 4th and 6th in Men 18-34. It's around 9th or 10th in 18-49 persons, up 4 or 5 positions from the pre-alt format.

It has just had two very good books, ranking 4th and 6th in Men 18-34. It's around 9th or 10th in 18-49 persons, up 4 or 5 positions from the pre-alt format.

I was referring to its music selection quality - I've noticed they've abandoned a lot of great songs recently on their playlists in favor of more overplayed pop-friendly mediocrities.

I was referring to its music selection quality - I've noticed they've abandoned a lot of great songs recently on their playlists in favor of more overplayed pop-friendly mediocrities.

And that move seems to have increased the ratings...

Like it or not... he is right! ALT 92.3 and ALT 103.7 (D/FW) have almost the same playlist but ratings have increased with a little "tweaking". David do you have the breakdown for ALT 103.7 KVIL (Men 18 - 34)?

Like it or not... he is right! ALT 92.3 and ALT 103.7 (D/FW) have almost the same playlist but ratings have increased with a little "tweaking". David do you have the breakdown for ALT 103.7 KVIL (Men 18 - 34)?

They were up to 6th in January, and were good until May and June, when they declined to 12th and 15th.

Later reports on the Entercom NYC DJ musical chairs shakeup are mentioning Cane as the "interim" morning show host on Alt 92.3.

Don't know if he finds his way to another daypart on 92.3, back to 102.7 or out-of-market (should he remain with Entercom).

To be determined...stay tuned...

They were up to 6th in January, and were good until May and June, when they declined to 12th and 15th.

While we're at it, do you have the ratings for Entercom's alt format in Orlando (WQMP 101.9)? That one seems to have the highest audience share 6+ wise, but I'd be interested to see the demo breakout.

I haven't heard the morning show, but I've listened at various times to just the music and wow, that station sounds GREAT. I love the playlist. The playlist isn't polarizing, I think it appeals to a large number of people, especially people who are not into typical rock music. Very modern sounding. People said that alternative wouldn't work because the fans are picky about the music and there are different types of rock, but this station I think has a very broad appeal, I think this was a very smart format choice.

I haven't heard the morning show, but I've listened at various times to just the music and wow, that station sounds GREAT. I love the playlist. The playlist isn't polarizing, I think it appeals to a large number of people, especially people who are not into typical rock music. Very modern sounding. People said that alternative wouldn't work because the fans are picky about the music and there are different types of rock, but this station I think has a very broad appeal, I think this was a very smart format choice.

I agree, I just hope they stick to playing new Alternative and not rely so much on the 90s.

The people that said Alternative would not work for some reason seem to believe it could not stand on it's own and you would have to mix Alternative with Classic Rock or AOR. That just does not work and would drive fans of either genre away since they are far too different. Today's Alternative is the dominate form of rock these days, it has a large enough familiar playlist with cross over hits that is just fine standing on its own.

WRXP was not a bad station starting out and close to Alt 92.3 but they tried that. They would go 40 minutes as an Alternative station sounding great like Alt 92.3 and then slip in AC/DC or Bruce Springsteen then back to another block of Alternative. It was completely retarded.

I hate that people are enjoying this POS station. They took out all the interesting 90s cuts in favor of all the overplayed same old shit. Also, today’s alternative is ****ing garbage, and you can’t deny that. It’s all pop crap with zero backbone. I am desperately praying for this station to go under, and I am filled with rage when I think that people actually are pleased with this awfulness.

I hate that people are enjoying this POS station. They took out all the interesting 90s cuts in favor of all the overplayed same old shit. Also, today’s alternative is ****ing garbage, and you can’t deny that. It’s all pop crap with zero backbone. I am desperately praying for this station to go under, and I am filled with rage when I think that people actually are pleased with this awfulness.

It's like this, the station's playlist appeals to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR!!! Period! Maybe says something about pop culture in today's USA

If it is any consolation I am no longer enjoying the station since I posted that because of the overplayed 90s and burned out hits. It has been said in another thread they are playing new Alternative but it is no longer a great selection. Only a few of the most popular played out songs from the last 15 year with a select amount of recent 2018 songs in heavy rotation. What does not help them is the Alternative playlist went to crap in 2018. Weezer Africa at #1. Very sad.

Seems like the powers that be that decide what songs or Artists are put on the Alternative charts have gone way too far feminizing the format. I was fine with lightening it up slightly over the last few years but they went too far into female oriented soft rock territory in 2018 rather than what historically would sound like Alternative. Chvches was another band in 2018 that went from Alternative sounding to producing Barbie sounding music that charted. It should have been kept off the Alt charts and/or Alt stations like 92.3 just deciding it does not fit the station.

Seems like the powers that be that decide what songs or Artists are put on the Alternative charts have gone way too far feminizing the format.

That's an interesting subject. It's the year of the woman. The music industry has been targeting alternative as being too male. We saw this with changes to the Grammy categories. So I think you're correct in your perception. The bottom line for radio and this station is that by softening things a touch, they're broadening the format and improving the ratings.

If it's a better gender balance they want, there are plenty of current female artists and female-fronted bands they could be playing that fit better with what used to define Alternative (and with the '90s-2000s tracks that they do play). Courtney Barnett, Meg Myers, The Interrupters (they have a top 10 hit that 92.3 hasn't touched!), St. Vincent, Speedy Ortiz, Beth Ditto, Metric... I could go on. But there's no use complaining - clearly bands like Imagine Dragons are what's "in" with average Alternative listeners right now, so all we can hope for is that this trend dies down just like the nu-metal and post-grunge trends of the 2000s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom