• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at Fresh 102.7?

Now, considering that 102.7 will be flipping to AC tomorrow, would this signal the return of 80's music to its playlist, even though its sister CBS-FM is (almost) heavily centered on? I recall couple of years ago when I was in the NYC area, I remembered Fresh played some handful of 80's product, but dropped them during its later years when it evolved to the format they're in today.

I tuned into Fresh earlier this afternoon and they were playing Africa by Toto. Is that song in their normal rotation? I didn't think so but I don't listen often.

Anyone think the shots at Lite are a smokescreen?

Maybe?! Although the "New" branding or use of WNEW wouldn't suggest a fully different format.

I tuned into Fresh earlier this afternoon and they were playing Africa by Toto. Is that song in their normal rotation? I didn't think so but I don't listen often.

It's a cover of Toto's "Africa" by Weezer. They've played it at least five times today only. Got really annoying, plus Toto's version is much better (imo).

PS, speaking of repetition, there's a lot of it. I've listened for over 10 hours the last two days, and Taylor Swift's "Delicate", Maroon 5's "Girls Like You", and Weezer's "Africa" are played every nearly two hours. Kinda like a stunting station's tight playlist. Hopefully it widens greatly tomorrow, and hopefully as a Soft AC counterpart to CBS-FM.

In Philly we have an Active Rocker and an Alternative and they both do rather well, so why not 84 miles Northeast...
Probably because 1) while both stations in Philly do well in ratings, the Alternative station should’ve been blown up years ago because of horrific billing and 2) the Alt station in NY has the (commercial) modern rock market all to itself and gets mediocre at best ratings.

Anyone think the shots at Lite are a smokescreen?

Well, good luck with that! In the past twenty or so years there had been stations with a similiar format whose intention is to dethrone the ratings leader WLTW but all have failed.(Remember Mix 105, Big 105, WPAT, Mix 102.7?) Whatever launches tomorrow remains to be seen, including whether it will challenge Lite FM by flipping to X-Mas music around Thanksgiving to try to improve its ratings.

As for WNEW going after the "Lite" audience, along with the liners bashing Lite for playing sleepy music, you know I was on my way to Philadelphia along the Schuylkill Expressway when I happened to tune to 106.7 and guess what? They were playing Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely"! This song was released back in '76. They also played some older 70's-early 80's songs than any other AC stations I have ever listened to.(At the time, there was significant enhancement across the FM band that enabled me to pull in WLTW with a decent signal while on the Schuylkill, even my portable radio stopped at 106.7 when doing the automatic scan!) So, whatever the folks at 102.7 is going to do will possibly lean younger, include more 90's songs in the playlist(possibly some 80's, but again remains to be seen due to possible overlap with CBS-FM). We sure will find out tomorrow.

WNEW ran a promo about a half an hour ago that had a "blah blah blah" background noise while the V/O said there'll be less talk and more music on Monday, only on 102.7. Maybe automation? Doubt it. Maybe 10,000 (or other #) songs commercial free? Certainly possible. What else that tidbit could mean, not sure.

All sweepers I heard so far:
1) Mom working with Lite, you working with 102.7 (the new AC station in NY?)
2) Sleepy lite workday gone with 102.7 (renamed Hot AC/new AC?)
3) Lite is old, 102.7 is new (same takeaway as #2)
4) A new chapter in 102.7 history begins Monday (could be a new format entirely, only sweeper that could suggest that, doubtful)
5) Fresh 102.7 voice-changing; something new Monday (no help, except a possible piece of a jingle?)
6) Less talk, more music on 102.7 (not format takeaway, but how the station runs...still vague)

Another sweeper just played. "Why listen to Lite at work. Find out the reason to switch to 102.7 tomorrow." Clearly closer to mainstream AC. Rest in peace any active rock, news, etc rumors.

I’m sorta surprised they’re not going for a rhythmic AC/throwback hip hop station like their stations in Chicago and Seattle. I know throwback hip hop tends to have a short life span, but Entercom has figured out how to keep it competitive in Seattle and it’s looking real good in Chicago too.

I’m sorta surprised they’re not going for a rhythmic AC/throwback hip hop station like their stations in Chicago and Seattle. I know throwback hip hop tends to have a short life span, but Entercom has figured out how to keep it competitive in Seattle and it’s looking real good in Chicago too.

Great point, you'd think Entercom could want to do that in Market #1. Some space is available, although trying to steer WQHT, WWPR, WBLS listeners will be tough. Chicago's WBMX has stabilized in the middle of the pack, around 3.5-4.5, unlike its first three months dominating. Don't know if I'd call it a definitive success.

Maybe?! Although the "New" branding or use of WNEW wouldn't suggest a fully different format.

It's a cover of Toto's "Africa" by Weezer. They've played it at least five times today only. Got really annoying, plus Toto's version is much better (imo).

PS, speaking of repetition, there's a lot of it. I've listened for over 10 hours the last two days, and Taylor Swift's "Delicate", Maroon 5's "Girls Like You", and Weezer's "Africa" are played every nearly two hours. Kinda like a stunting station's tight playlist. Hopefully it widens greatly tomorrow, and hopefully as a Soft AC counterpart to CBS-FM.

Stations that play new music are more repetitive than that. I listen to a station that plays current hip-hop music. I've heard some songs repeated in as little as 45 minutes!

Another sweeper just played. "Why listen to Lite at work. Find out the reason to switch to 102.7 tomorrow." Clearly closer to mainstream AC. Rest in peace any active rock, news, etc rumors.

Or any soft AC rumors. If they're positioning WLTW as something for a "sleepy lite workday," chances are they're planning something more uptempo/rhythmic. Apparently, there's no limit to New Yorkers' appetite for thump-thump-thump, or the resistance on Madison Avenue to anything but thump-thump-thump.

Another new sweeper just aired, this time about a coat of paint, and that it is something more than that, tomorrow. Weird.

Anyways, I did a little digging and the wnew1027.com site that redirects to fresh1027.com first redirects to new1027.radio.com, just like new1027.com redirects to that new1027.radio.com site. Being held "hostage" by a company that keeps these sites "protected". Not sure of the third domain, but it may also redirect to new1027.radio.com. Still do not get how that alone can be a distinguished AC format name.

Anyways, I did a little digging and the wnew1027.com site that redirects to fresh1027.com first redirects to new1027.radio.com, just like new1027.com redirects to that new1027.radio.com site. Being held "hostage" by a company that keeps these sites "protected".

Lance Venta discovered the same thing, and posted it on his Radio Insight blog. You will need to be a member to get the details:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/169409/domain-insight-whats-new-at-fresh-102-7-new-york/

The site already updated to the NEW 102.7...check it out..."Upbeat Variety for Your Workday"

Attachments

• CALLS_Header_Large_Logo%20%281%29.png
    CALLS_Header_Large_Logo%20%281%29.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 27
Looks like they launched without anything special at 6AM. The TOH was with the “New 102.7” name. Zedd’s “The Middle”, still Hot AC? The site is still refreshing to Fresh 102.7, but with the updated New 102.7 name, just like last night. Very anti-climactic.

Nothing to see here. Only a repositioning. Same music as before. So it's not so 'new'. Only a new Omnia.11 preset...

Launch is at 7 AM

I was listening, and they launched with the TOH at just past 6am. Will be posting whatever “launch” there was. Very anticlimactic, especially considering some of their sweepers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom