• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at Fresh 102.7?

Only the AllAccess article wrote 7am. No other sources, or WNEW themselves, have set a time. A little skeptical, but its the only time out there.

All Access quotes promos on the station: "FRESH 102.7 has been jockless since 3p and there is a promo running that says look for an announcement on MONDAY at 7a (ET)."

You included a "wake up" sweeper in your video. So obviously tomorrow morning is the target.

All Access quotes promos on the station: "FRESH 102.7 has been jockless since 3p and there is a promo running that says look for an announcement on MONDAY at 7a (ET)."

You included a "wake up" sweeper in your video. So obviously tomorrow morning is the target.

Good point. Nevertheless, I'll be recording at midnight, as well as by 6am just in case. Hopefully there'll be some change and not a minor tweak of name/airstaff.

It ain't gonna be Rock, Active or otherwise. No way. Never gonna happen.

The Alternative charts have been very popish Top 40 sounding for the last 5 years with most of the top 10 at any time crossing over to Top 40. It does not sound at all like 90s, 2k hard edge Alternative or rock for that matter. It appeals to the masses, male female alike and safe. I could see them doing something like that without the hard edge stuff as part of an Adult Top 40 format

Ancient music is going to die out some time. Someone is going to use that availability of newer hits from the last 5 or so years to stop the bleeding to web streaming and ensure their radio properties do not lose value due to the younger generation not being given a reason to stick around.

Last edited:
There's definitely an advantage to focus on current music rather than soft classics. Although they could do that as Fresh.

True, however I believe the "Fresh" brand was a mistake from the start. It sounds like a female hygiene product so you lose men and one wonders how much that brand name effected the tuning habits of women consciously or subconsciously. It is certainly time for new branding regardless.

The Alternative charts have been very popish Top 40 sounding for the last 5 years with most of the top 10 at any time crossing over to Top 40. It does not sound at all like 90s, 2k hard edge Alternative or rock for that matter. It appeals to the masses, male female alike and safe. I could see them doing something like that without the hard edge stuff as part of an Adult Top 40 format

Ancient music is going to die out some time. Someone is going to use that availability of newer hits from the last 5 or so years to stop the bleeding to web streaming and ensure their radio properties do not lose value due to the younger generation not being given a reason to stick around.

Right. And it’s called Alt 92.3. Why would Entercom harm a sister station?

Can the radio pendulum for AC swing back to soft if CHR isn't on board with it at all? Soft AC thrived for years on all those soft hits that dominated Top 40 radio after the implosion of disco in the late '70s and before MTV rock and pop begin its chart domination in 1982-83, mixing them in with current and recurrent soft hits. But CHR has been relentlessly rhythmic and uptempo for nearly a decade now and has dragged AC in that direction as well. So where will the impetus for an advertiser-palatable softer music mix come from?

So where will the impetus for an advertiser-palatable softer music mix come from?

Looking at the experience for KSWD, there is an audience for it. The question is can they sell it. And then will the format hold up after six months. No question there's a format hole. WCBS-FM isn't playing Simon & Garfunkel or some light 70s music. WLTW isn't playing it either. Of course there's a reason, and it's because it attracts people over 60. But maybe sing Entercom is already getting that audience for their AM stations, this is a way of bringing those advertisers to FM without a translator or moving one of those AM formats to FM. However, having said all that, what we've seen with these throwback formats is the audience tires of it after six months.

Right. And it’s called Alt 92.3. Why would Entercom harm a sister station?

Good point. I was not saying duplicate 92.3 but given they would be playing new music there would be some overlap. We already see some overlap between properties owned by the same company.

Looking at the experience for KSWD, there is an audience for it. The question is can they sell it. And then will the format hold up after six months. No question there's a format hole. WCBS-FM isn't playing Simon & Garfunkel or some light 70s music. WLTW isn't playing it either. Of course there's a reason, and it's because it attracts people over 60. But maybe sing Entercom is already getting that audience for their AM stations, this is a way of bringing those advertisers to FM without a translator or moving one of those AM formats to FM. However, having said all that, what we've seen with these throwback formats is the audience tires of it after six months.

And the reason they tire of it is because they play the same damn songs over and over and over.and over. Every two or three of months they should rotate out a 1/3rd to 1/2 of the songs and bring in "new blood" musically, so to speak. There's enough "light" music out there from the 70s onward that they could easily do that. And what was considered harder edged music back then could easily be considered light music today.

And the reason they tire of it is because they play the same damn songs over and over and over.and over.

Maybe or they tire of it because it's the same tempo. I don't know about you, but when I listen to music, I don't choose a bunch of songs based on tempo. That's so boring a predictable. When I go to a concert, nobody does a show that's all one tempo. That's so boring and predictable. So programming a radio station based on tempo is a very boring and predictable thing, even if you vary the specific songs. I mean, "Here's more wallpaper for you to fall asleep to." Is that going to excite me? No.

The formats that seem to do the best are the ones that offer variety. One reason why country is gaining popularity is there's a lot of variety in terms of tempo, instrumentation, subject matter, and age of artist. People seem to like variety in their music mix. So a format that mixes in some currents might work.

Last edited:
Now, considering that 102.7 will be flipping to AC tomorrow, would this signal the return of 80's music to its playlist, even though its sister CBS-FM is (almost) heavily centered on? I recall couple of years ago when I was in the NYC area, I remembered Fresh played some handful of 80's product, but dropped them during its later years when it evolved to the format they're in today.

This change brings me to a $64K question, come November will it flip to all-Xmas and compete with WLTW?

In Philly we have an Active Rocker and an Alternative and they both do rather well, so why not 84 miles Northeast...

Because New York City and environs are demographically very different from the Philadelphia area. Large population that's hardwired culturally for rhythmic and doesn't want to hear any form of rock.

In Philly we have an Active Rocker and an Alternative and they both do rather well, so why not 84 miles Northeast...

They're owned by competing companies. The active rock is Beasley, the alternative is iHeart. The question was why would a company compete against itself.

The Entercom alternative station in NYC isn't doing as well as the iHeart alternative station in Philly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom