• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at Fresh 102.7?

Fair enough. I can relate. The funny thing about letting the music talk, is (often) the larger the playlist, the more chances of missteps on the focus. You would that the "science" of radio would have more precise answers, but that, I guess is the local magic and the heartbeat of real radio. Do you think NEW stands a chance to rock the boat?

WNEW, based on the last 3 days, has a much smaller playlist than WLTW... WLTW is about 450 songs that get weekly play, and WNEW is around 275 (but there may be a few more as I just have 3 day's data for WNEW vs 7 for WLTW).

WLTW plays significant 80's gold. WNEW has nearly nothing earlier than 1997/98. I looked at the logs for the last 72 hours, and they play about 2 currents (this year or very late last year) on WNEW, while WLTW has very little 2018 music at all, and the rotations on the "semi-currents" are much slower.

WNEW is indeed doing a lot more spins each day, due to less talk and fewer commercials. In each of the three days, there have been around 70 more spins on WNEW, or about 3 more songs an hour than WLTW.

WLTW plays significant 80's gold. WNEW has nearly nothing earlier than 1997/98.

And as I said in an earlier post, I think this is an effective approach. The AC format is a very broad canvas, and it can be subdivided into many sub genres. I think a currents-based AC is a way to chop off some of WLTW's audience. But it also touches on WPLJ and even WKTU. Still I wonder why they ran a promo saying they play more songs when in fact they don't.

And as I said in an earlier post, I think this is an effective approach. The AC format is a very broad canvas, and it can be subdivided into many sub genres. I think a currents-based AC is a way to chop off some of WLTW's audience. But it also touches on WPLJ and even WKTU. Still I wonder why they ran a promo saying they play more songs when in fact they don't.

They are talking about play count, not library count. Average of 3 songs/spins an hour more than WLTW.

I heard them using a recorded imaging about other stations running long sets of music and then "20 minutes of commercials." Then the female voice went on to say that they won't do that. The commercial breaks will be (I'm paraphrasing here) "no longer than a wait at the tunnel." (I wish I had the exact words.) LOL I've waited at the tunnel a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes at times.

Keepin' it local, though!

Every market is different. In New York adult females either want to hear the current hits and go for 100.3/103.5, or they want variety and go for 106.7. It just never works to try to put something on between these. Now in LA KBIG has certainly found a way to make the hot ac format work. They own the AC competition and the heritage chr, so you have to factor in the fact that they can keep the ac a little older and the chr more rhythmic to widen the lane for the hot ac but there is more to it then that. Every market is different...I'm amazed that its the same company that gets it so right in the Apple but 80 miles south-west.....(I'll keep this positive).

102.7 is a better radio station than they were a week ago. "Fresh" is such a horrible radio name, which is funny because the positioner word "refreshing" is awesome for ACs. We all know why.... Beyond that, it seems to be more gold based, a good thing, and they are tighter on the currents. Good for 102.7 and 92.3 to let Alt have that Foster the People song all to their own.

Since the tweaks were made to WNEW 102.7, the overall ratings have climbed over two months from 2.4 to 3.0.

Every market is different. In New York adult females either want to hear the current hits and go for 100.3/103.5, or they want variety and go for 106.7.

Well, KTU is essentially a Rhythmic Hot AC, playing a lot of golds and recurrents. I guess the issue is that NYC is more of a Rhythmic town. Which is why I think a more Urban-leaning Rhythmic Hot AC, with a heavy dose of '90s/early 2K hip-hop and upbeat R&B, is at least worth a shot here. (Hot 96.9 Boston is an example of this.) Cumulus could give it a try on 95.5 - they don't have much to lose at this point.

Well, KTU is essentially a Rhythmic Hot AC, playing a lot of golds and recurrents. I guess the issue is that NYC is more of a Rhythmic town. Which is why I think a more Urban-leaning Rhythmic Hot AC, with a heavy dose of '90s/early 2K hip-hop and upbeat R&B, is at least worth a shot here. (Hot 96.9 Boston is an example of this.) Cumulus could give it a try on 95.5 - they don't have much to lose at this point.

I don't understand why Cumulus doesn't move the Urban AC format from 103.9 to 95.5. They could go head to head with WBLS which usually has very good ratings.

Because PLJ bills a TON of $$$ for that cluster. Flip it and lose it all.

No, it does not. WPLJ billing is off over 60% in the last 6 years and has very little revenue to protect.

The last time I saw figures (a couple years ago), the two were fairly close to one another in the billing department. I think 95.5 had a minor lead at the time, but it's possible things have changed since then. 102.7 has been one of the lowest billing full market FM stations in the Big Apple for a number of years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom