• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looks like michael coleman's gone from wbz!

The bigger question is,........has a go fund me page been set up yet for "Charlie from Haverhill and his loose false teeth!? :cool:

The bigger question is,........has a go fund me page been set up yet for "Charlie from Haverhill and his loose false teeth!? :cool:

I don’t see the connection between your obscure reference and whether Michael Coleman is still with WBZ or not.

I haven't heard Michael Coleman on WBZ News Radio 1030. Looks like IHeart let him go.

Disclaimer: I do not know Michael Coleman either professionally or personally, save for what I've heard of him over WBZ Newsradio 1030.

Since none of you has stepped up and shed any light on his situation, I would like to make a few observations from the outside looking in:

Mr Coleman is a producer of WBZ newscasts; as such, it is not common to hear him over the air. However, he did voice-overs on several commercials, notable among them those for McKinnon's Meat Market and Route 2 Carpet, as well as news/weather promos, especially during this past winter, where he'd parody a classic rock tune. Just this morning, I heard him doing a VO for Williamson Pump and Motor.

My best guess (and super-strong hope!) is that he is taking some vacation time and/or has been busy producing newscasts and not doing as much VO work.

I would like to know the basis for the bold statement by the OP quoted above.

Disclaimer: I do not know Michael Coleman either professionally or personally, save for what I've heard of him over WBZ Newsradio 1030.

Since none of you has stepped up and shed any light on his situation, I would like to make a few observations from the outside looking in:

Mr Coleman is a producer of WBZ newscasts; as such, it is not common to hear him over the air. However, he did voice-overs on several commercials, notable among them those for McKinnon's Meat Market and Route 2 Carpet, as well as news/weather promos, especially during this past winter, where he'd parody a classic rock tune. Just this morning, I heard him doing a VO for Williamson Pump and Motor.

My best guess (and super-strong hope!) is that he is taking some vacation time and/or has been busy producing newscasts and not doing as much VO work.

Blind hatred of iHeart, of course, a staple of this board for eons.

Michael Coleman does not have anything to do with producing newscasts on AM1030. He is paid to produce commercials, on air promos and imaging for the station. He is paid for his ability to create, produce and at times voice commercials and promos. He has nothing to do with news content.

Michael Coleman does not have anything to do with producing newscasts on AM1030. He is paid to produce commercials, on air promos and imaging for the station. He is paid for his ability to create, produce and at times voice commercials and promos. He has nothing to do with news content.

Mr Garrett,

I appreciate the clarification on Michael's duties. Since he is often referred to on-air as "WBZ producer Michael Coleman", I just assumed he also produced newscasts.

But do you or does anyone else reading this know if the OP is just speculating or telling the truth?

I believe I'm hearing ads on WBZ (maybe even WRKO?) for Precision Fitness Equipment voiced by Michael Coleman.

Can anyone confirm?

Scott Fybush has published his year end review. He has this from August that should answer your question regarding Michael Coleman:

The next chapter in the Boston Shuffle took WBZ (1030) out of its home of 70 years at 1170 Soldiers Field Road, relocating to iHeart’s expanded cluster studios up in Medford, albeit without several traffic reporters and production guru Mike Coleman, who’d been abruptly cut in the last few days in the old facility. Assistant news director Jon MacLean was also out just a few weeks into the move.

Scott Fybush has published his year end review. He has this from August that should answer your question regarding Michael Coleman:

The next chapter in the Boston Shuffle took WBZ (1030) out of its home of 70 years at 1170 Soldiers Field Road, relocating to iHeart’s expanded cluster studios up in Medford, albeit without several traffic reporters and production guru Mike Coleman, who’d been abruptly cut in the last few days in the old facility. Assistant news director Jon MacLean was also out just a few weeks into the move.

Nothing preventing him from voicing ads working for an agency or directly for the advertiser, right? I suppose iHeart could refuse the ad unless someone else's voice was on it, but would they be that petty -- especially if it could cost them the spot? After all, Coleman was a behind-the-scenes presence and his termination was only big news in the insular Boston radio community. As a listener -- and I used to listen to WBZ when I was visiting the Boston area regularly until 3 years ago -- I had no idea who he was until he became the focus of so much outrage here.

Yes, thank you, I had read Fybush's Year in Review, although even before reading that, other posters had pointed out that Michael's separation from WBZ was not speculation but fact. The Jon Maclean bit caught me by total surprise, since no one had mentioned this in either of the two radio boards.

Nothing preventing him from voicing ads working for an agency or directly for the advertiser, right? I suppose iHeart could refuse the ad unless someone else's voice was on it, but would they be that petty -- especially if it could cost them the spot? After all, Coleman was a behind-the-scenes presence and his termination was only big news in the insular Boston radio community. As a listener -- and I used to listen to WBZ when I was visiting the Boston area regularly until 3 years ago -- I had no idea who he was until he became the focus of so much outrage here.

In another thread, it's been hinted that I am "obsessed" with WBZ. OK, yes, that's true. Maybe because it's one of the two stations on the Boston radio dial that I can relate to.

I'm aware iHeart can do whatever it wants with WBZ. But it's been said elsewhere (not by me, although I agree with it) that WBZ is a Maserati and iHeart thinks it can be driven like a Toyota.

WBZ is a Maserati and iHeart thinks it can be driven like a Toyota.

If that's true, it's a very old Maserati in need of a new engine. Because it's living on borrowed time on the AM band.

Something will have to change there, otherwise it won't matter what analogy you make.

In another thread, it's been hinted that I am "obsessed" with WBZ. OK, yes, that's true. Maybe because it's one of the two stations on the Boston radio dial that I can relate to.

What is the other station?

Just curious, since you enjoy WBZ....How long can one listen? Maybe a couple of times a day one can tune in...but not for very long IMHO. If I put it on in my office...by about 20-25 minutes (after the THIRD) traffic report, I can't take it anymore.

That said, WBZ is a great station, and I am happily surprised at how iHeart has run things in the year they've had it.

Just heard the image liner "Always Live, Always Local"...which should calm the fears of those that thought it was going to turn into a syndicated utility station. They seem to understand what they have in WBZ.

The company that has REALLY trashed the heritage AM's they've had was Cumulus. KABC, WABC, KGO, etc....

The company that has REALLY trashed the heritage AM's they've had was Cumulus. KABC, WABC, KGO, etc....

The trashing began when those stations were owned by ABC. Citadel didn't help. Cumulus got stuck with the mess.

The trashing began when those stations were owned by ABC. Citadel didn't help. Cumulus got stuck with the mess.

Yes, definitely.

Even in the 6+ standings, WABC and KABC are so far down in the list it's almost criminal.

And you are probably right that it started with ABC itself, since they wanted only the Radio Disney and ESPN (ROTFLMAO) stations, and Citadel was terrible. It would appear the Cumulus stations that do well were not the legacy ABC O&O's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom