• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Program Director at El Zol WHAT AM

Who cares!!!

Philadelphia Hispanics and the radio industry care!

Imagine the reaction if your remark had been about the PD at one of Urban One’s stations.

And WHAT shows consistently in the ratings. Repeat : 'consistent'. If they had a bigger signal they'd show higher. But a consistent, persistent appearance anywhere in the ratings despite a wee AM signal says something. When I lived in NE Philly, WHAT would start to get chewed up on my radio well before sunset.
At the time, I enjoyed their PM drive show Night Flight. It was sort of a smooth-jazz/mellow urban A/C show. I have a few untelescoped cassettes of them. Two of the interfering stations probably were WMID Atlantic City and WRAW Reading. The three stations are somewhat short-spaced.

Plus (unless I read the Philly ratings wrong) they are the only Hispanic-oriented station in the market. Leave 'em alone.

Plus (unless I read the Philly ratings wrong) they are the only Hispanic-oriented station in the market. Leave 'em alone.

Only ones that subscribe. WHAT on 1340 and 99.9 goes up against "Mega 105.7/1310" It's an AM with FM translator battle, but both seem to hold their own well enough in Philly.

Thanks for the clarification, Stars. I had been under the extinct depression that ALL the stations in a Top Ten market subscribed. You know: get that national brand out there.

Talk about short-spacing ....
Despite being just three channels apart, WEMG's and WHAT's sticks are awfully close. They are in different states, I know. And no doubt these facilities were granted only due to their low power -- see 1420 and 1400 in New Bedford/Fall River Mass -- when licensing appears to've harkened to times when allotments allowed such courtesy. Usually, for clear- and regional signals in a market, the separation was four or five frequencies away.
1360-1410 .... 860-900 .... 620-660 .... 1430-1480, and so forth.

(I've gotten WEMG up here a few times, back when they were WSSJ. Ive never heard WHAT. DXing and DXers mean nothing, of course, to radio station sales and revenue. So I get the idea that the bulk of WHAT's consistent/recent ratings has been from their 99.9?)

Thanks for the clarification, Stars. I had been under the extinct depression that ALL the stations in a Top Ten market subscribed. You know: get that national brand out there.

Despite being just three channels apart, WEMG's and WHAT's sticks are awfully close. They are in different states, I know. And no doubt these facilities were granted only due to their low power -- see 1420 and 1400 in New Bedford/Fall River Mass -- when licensing appears to've harkened to times when allotments allowed such courtesy. Usually, for clear- and regional signals in a market, the separation was four or five frequencies away.

(I've gotten WEMG up here a few times, back when they were WSSJ. Ive never heard WHAT. DXing and DXers mean nothing, of course, to radio station sales and revenue. So I get the idea that the bulk of WHAT's consistent/recent ratings has been from their 99.9?)

Not 100% sure. Back when they were Adult Standards, they pulled about the same numbers (0.4, 0.5) with just the AM stick

Lower rated stations that would not get agency business don't generally subscribe, as the ratings are of no use to them. In any case, the ad agencies that use ratings numbers see everything in the market, whether subscribed or not.

It's just the public data release of 12+ or 6+ numbers that excludes the non-subscribed stations.

Even in some larger markets there are cases of larger operators not subscribing or only buying a partial service. For example, in 4-book Buffalo, Cumulus only buys the Spring and Fall books, so they are not included in the Winter and Summer public data release.

Those two are really not too close. 30 kHz.

In many countries... those that wrote regulations more recently... AM separation can be 20 kHz in the same city and it works fine.

XEN in Mexico City is 100 kw (d) on 690. XEMP is 10 kw (d) on 710 and XEX was 100 kw on 730 (they have lowered power to save money of late). I never heard problems in any part of the CDMX area. All were and are licensed to the same city.

I owned both HCRM on 570 and HCSP on 590, and there was another owner's HCEG on 550, all licensed to the Quito market, not suburbs. Never any problem, so I suspect that the 40 kHz restriction had to do with the radio technology of the 30's and, perhaps, an excess of caution by the FCC.

Only ones that subscribe. WHAT on 1340 and 99.9 goes up against "Mega 105.7/1310" It's an AM with FM translator battle, but both seem to hold their own well enough in Philly.

And the AM stations at 690, 1590 and 1680 are all listed as some kind of Spanish language Christian or "variety" formats. In the case of 1680, it's one of Art Liu's brokered operations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom