• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTNS Coshocton

Compliments to the operators of WTNS AM/FM in Coshocton, Ohio. I live out of state and happened across them on the internet. Gave a listen to the FM on mywtns.com googled the station and they have probably one of the neatest looking studio/office buildings in America for a small town station. I think the art deco styled WHBC Canton building is probably the most attractive radio station building built in the golden age of radio but WTNS certainly is a standout in that style for a much smaller town. Google 114 N 6th Street, Coshocton, Ohio and you should see a street view. The programming is also very strong for a small town operation with lots of local ads and local news to compliment the AC music. Amazingly the same family that put it on the air in 1947 still operates it. They also owned the daily newspaper but sold it in the late 1960s and kept radio. Usually the reverse happens. Coshocton appears off the beaten path, somewhat economically depressed, but those kind of places stand a better chance of a local station thriving if the operator knows how to monetize it and has close ties to the community. A good local radio station operated by people who try to make their town a better place to live and work is still important to people who live there. The folks at WTNS obviously understand the formula. These type operations are becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

I agree WTNS is a true "small town sounding" AM/FM. I am sure they have built a legacy with their local community and that has helped them stay the same all these years.

C...they have probably one of the neatest looking studio/office buildings in America for a small town station. I think the art deco styled WHBC Canton building is probably the most attractive radio station building built in the golden age of radio but WTNS certainly is a standout in that style for a much smaller town. Google 114 N 6th Street, Coshocton, Ohio and you should see a street view.

I took a look at the building in Google, and it looks rather uninviting; the station did not go on the air until the very end of the Golden Age, so what it looks like is a run down (window damage, dirty, cracked cement, etc.) marginally successful station.

Here is a building from the same post-war era, even of similar style (the all look like a copy of floor plans out of RCA Broadcast News) but owned by a very prosperous radio station. I first visited the same building in 1958, and they have kept it up nicely, and it's a well equipped station all around.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwjDqfuEhtDeAhUmr1QKHS3vBqoQoiowCnoECAYQBg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom