KXSF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KXSF

KXSF

Just saw posted in Facebook-- (details anyone?)

KXSF Launch Party & Fundraiser! 102.5 FM
    w/ LIVE BANDS (7-10pm), KXSF DJs before and after performance) ~ Big Light + Assateague + Go by Ocean

SF's newest FM station KXSF (formerly KUSF/SFCR) returns to the airwaves at noon on July 10th at 102.5 FM.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/fi...F&nav=&x=8&y=5

Obviously the former KUSF crew applied for and were granted an LPFM license, and that's what this is. It's been 7 years since KUSF was sold. They formed a non-profit: San Francisco Community Radio Inc. So it will be a non-commercial low power station, operating 1.57 watts from the KOFY-TV tower. Good luck to them!

Due to technical difficulties with the transmitter installation at Sutro Tower, the July 10 launch has been delayed by a couple of weeks - stay tuned for details.
    The Launch Party scheduled for July 10 has been postponed as well.

Info: http://kxsf.fm/blog/102-5-fm-launch-date-delayed.html

Home page: http://kxsf.fm/ (includes a schedule page and press release about its mission)

The station does stream 24/7 (it has been "on" for at least a few days already).
    Over the air hours are scheduled to be 12 hours per day from 10 AM - 4 PM and 10 PM - 4 AM.

A writeup was done by InsideRadio.com ->

http://www.insideradio.com/free/san-...cd520cc3a.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    So it will be a non-commercial low power station, operating 1.57 watts from the KOFY-TV tower. Good luck to them!
    How can 1.57 watts possibly put out a viable signal, even from Sutro Tower? Or did RadioLocator.com misplace the decimal point, and it's actually 15.7 or even 157 watts?
    Last edited by Signal Geek; 07-11-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Correcting figure

Quote Originally Posted by Signal Geek View Post
    How can 1.57 watts possibly put out a viable signal, even from Sutro Tower? Or did RadioLocator.com misplace the decimal point, and it's actually 15.7 or even 157 watts?
    According to FCCData.org, the power is .00157 KW, which translates to 1.57 watts.

https://fccdata.org/?facid=192498

The map makes it look like it should cover all of downtown.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal Geek View Post
    An LPFM can't, ever, have over 100 watts. At the height of Sutro, 1.57 watts is the equivalent of a 100 watt LPFM at the standardized height.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Thank you BigA and DavidEduardo for confirming the ERP. But even with their transmitter at the highest peak in San Francisco, I'm still curious if 1.57 watts provides decent listenable coverage. My only real-world LPFM signal experience is with KRLY/Alpine CA. They broadcast at 4 watts from an elevation of about 2600 feet AMSL on the side of a mountain. In a few spots around San Diego County, you can pick up the station from 25 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

An LPFM can't, ever, have over 100 watts. At the height of Sutro, 1.57 watts is the equivalent of a 100 watt LPFM at the standardized height.
    @David

I understand HAAT vs. Power but can 1.57 watts really penetrate anything in downtown? What about at street level?

And the Bay Bridge, a giant crash zone of KSFM and KDON. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.
    Now I just play radio online at www.allthebestoldies.com.

Quote Originally Posted by stewie View Post

I understand HAAT vs. Power but can 1.57 watts really penetrate anything in downtown? What about at street level?

For people inside offices, or outside the perimeter, there's always the stream

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    For people inside offices, or outside the perimeter, there's always the stream
    Totally and that's kind of where I'm going with my question. The coverage area IMHO isn't a huge car radio listening area given it really only covered the downtown area and maybe a bit over the water. You'll hardly hear it south of San Bruno and across the bay. Why spend the money on an LPFM like that?

Maybe I'm bias (because I fun an Internet radio station in San Francisco) but I'm curious what you think Big A. I've followed you on this board for many years, interested in your opinion.
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.
    Now I just play radio online at www.allthebestoldies.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast