• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXSF

Obviously the former KUSF crew applied for and were granted an LPFM license, and that's what this is. It's been 7 years since KUSF was sold. They formed a non-profit: San Francisco Community Radio Inc. So it will be a non-commercial low power station, operating 1.57 watts from the KOFY-TV tower. Good luck to them!

Due to technical difficulties with the transmitter installation at Sutro Tower, the July 10 launch has been delayed by a couple of weeks - stay tuned for details.
The Launch Party scheduled for July 10 has been postponed as well.

Info: http://kxsf.fm/blog/102-5-fm-launch-date-delayed.html

Home page: http://kxsf.fm/ (includes a schedule page and press release about its mission)

The station does stream 24/7 (it has been "on" for at least a few days already).
Over the air hours are scheduled to be 12 hours per day from 10 AM - 4 PM and 10 PM - 4 AM.

A writeup was done by InsideRadio.com ->

http://www.insideradio.com/free/san...cle_4e42eefa-840d-11e8-95a4-cfecd520cc3a.html

So it will be a non-commercial low power station, operating 1.57 watts from the KOFY-TV tower. Good luck to them!
How can 1.57 watts possibly put out a viable signal, even from Sutro Tower? Or did RadioLocator.com misplace the decimal point, and it's actually 15.7 or even 157 watts?

Last edited:
How can 1.57 watts possibly put out a viable signal, even from Sutro Tower? Or did RadioLocator.com misplace the decimal point, and it's actually 15.7 or even 157 watts?

An LPFM can't, ever, have over 100 watts. At the height of Sutro, 1.57 watts is the equivalent of a 100 watt LPFM at the standardized height.

Thank you BigA and DavidEduardo for confirming the ERP. But even with their transmitter at the highest peak in San Francisco, I'm still curious if 1.57 watts provides decent listenable coverage. My only real-world LPFM signal experience is with KRLY/Alpine CA. They broadcast at 4 watts from an elevation of about 2600 feet AMSL on the side of a mountain. In a few spots around San Diego County, you can pick up the station from 25 miles away.

An LPFM can't, ever, have over 100 watts. At the height of Sutro, 1.57 watts is the equivalent of a 100 watt LPFM at the standardized height.

@David

I understand HAAT vs. Power but can 1.57 watts really penetrate anything in downtown? What about at street level?

And the Bay Bridge, a giant crash zone of KSFM and KDON. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

For people inside offices, or outside the perimeter, there's always the stream

Totally and that's kind of where I'm going with my question. The coverage area IMHO isn't a huge car radio listening area given it really only covered the downtown area and maybe a bit over the water. You'll hardly hear it south of San Bruno and across the bay. Why spend the money on an LPFM like that?

Maybe I'm bias (because I fun an Internet radio station in San Francisco) but I'm curious what you think Big A. I've followed you on this board for many years, interested in your opinion.

I'm curious what you think Big A. I've followed you on this board for many years, interested in your opinion.

For some reason, there is a big movement in this country for LPFM. The movement was strong enough to get Congress to move and create this hyper-local form of radio, even when it would be easier and cheaper for them to go online. At the same time, I'm reading that there are hundreds of pirate radio stations operating around the country. Yet I also read that FM is dead or dying. If that's true, why would anyone start an LPFM or a pirate. Obviously the opinion that FM is dead is very overstated. We will see if the people running KXSF will be able to raise enough money from the people in their coverage area to stay on the air.

@David

I understand HAAT vs. Power but can 1.57 watts really penetrate anything in downtown? What about at street level?

And the Bay Bridge, a giant crash zone of KSFM and KDON. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

It makes little sense to me, either. If they do music in the tradition of the station they are "emulating" and add to coverage by streaming, they have to face high royalty payments. On the other hand, the under 2 watt signal will not get into buildings and will not cover the shadow areas of those large structures in the built up areas of the supposed signal area.

In my experience, low power at great height means you do not have a good signal anywhere.

If they do music in the tradition of the station they are "emulating" and add to coverage by streaming, they have to face high royalty payments.

However, because they're streaming a broadcast station, there will be a slight discount in the digital royalty. So it should be cheaper than online only.

However, because they're streaming a broadcast station, there will be a slight discount in the digital royalty. So it should be cheaper than online only.

Good point; maybe their strategy is to operate the LPFM to get the better royalty rate and to focus on the streaming as the principal growth area. But rent on the antenna location must be significant just to pump out the equivalent power of an LED bulb.

Even at 157 Watts, (which LPFM thankfully can’t get) Entercom would have their communications attorney on speed dial. KSFM Woodland is alive and well at 102.5. Can’t imagine there being any appreciatable spacing at 1.5 watts. Mister Microphone might perform better.

Even at 157 Watts, (which LPFM thankfully can’t get) Entercom would have their communications attorney on speed dial. KSFM Woodland is alive and well at 102.5. Can’t imagine there being any appreciatable spacing at 1.5 watts. Mister Microphone might perform better.

Even if you extend all the way out into the fringe, 1.57 watts, 157 watts, it doesn't matter. It's just a giant crash zone of KSFM/KDON as you head east until you get to around Vacavile.

Attachments

• msmith_screencapture_ 126.jpg
    msmith_screencapture_ 126.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 30
I forgot about KDON. Excellent point!
Even if you extend all the way out into the fringe, 1.57 watts, 157 watts, it doesn't matter. It's just a giant crash zone of KSFM/KDON as you head east until you get to around Vacavile.

102.5 KDON/KSFM signals may fight each other on the bridges and other parts of the Bay Area. But look at the FCC's map: KXSF's primary contour only covers land areas of the City and County of San Francisco proper. So they're not expecting a decent signal on the bridges or East Bay/Marin anyway.

102.5 KDON/KSFM signals may fight each other on the bridges and other parts of the Bay Area. But look at the FCC's map: KXSF's primary contour only covers land areas of the City and County of San Francisco proper. So they're not expecting a decent signal on the bridges or East Bay/Marin anyway.

Think of it as a restaurant downtown. If you want take out, there is the stream. But for the signal, you need to be downtown.

A lot of hipsters are living in town. The Presidio is in their primary contour.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom