KXSF - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KXSF

Quote Originally Posted by stewie View Post
    I'm curious what you think Big A. I've followed you on this board for many years, interested in your opinion.
    For some reason, there is a big movement in this country for LPFM. The movement was strong enough to get Congress to move and create this hyper-local form of radio, even when it would be easier and cheaper for them to go online. At the same time, I'm reading that there are hundreds of pirate radio stations operating around the country. Yet I also read that FM is dead or dying. If that's true, why would anyone start an LPFM or a pirate. Obviously the opinion that FM is dead is very overstated. We will see if the people running KXSF will be able to raise enough money from the people in their coverage area to stay on the air.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    @David

I understand HAAT vs. Power but can 1.57 watts really penetrate anything in downtown? What about at street level?

And the Bay Bridge, a giant crash zone of KSFM and KDON. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.
    It makes little sense to me, either. If they do music in the tradition of the station they are "emulating" and add to coverage by streaming, they have to face high royalty payments. On the other hand, the under 2 watt signal will not get into buildings and will not cover the shadow areas of those large structures in the built up areas of the supposed signal area.

In my experience, low power at great height means you do not have a good signal anywhere.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    If they do music in the tradition of the station they are "emulating" and add to coverage by streaming, they have to face high royalty payments.
    However, because they're streaming a broadcast station, there will be a slight discount in the digital royalty. So it should be cheaper than online only.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    However, because they're streaming a broadcast station, there will be a slight discount in the digital royalty. So it should be cheaper than online only.
    Good point; maybe their strategy is to operate the LPFM to get the better royalty rate and to focus on the streaming as the principal growth area. But rent on the antenna location must be significant just to pump out the equivalent power of an LED bulb.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    But rent on the antenna location must be significant just to pump out the equivalent power of an LED bulb.
    Unless it's an "in kind contribution." For a tax benefit to the tower owner.

Even at 157 Watts, (which LPFM thankfully canít get) Entercom would have their communications attorney on speed dial. KSFM Woodland is alive and well at 102.5. Canít imagine there being any appreciatable spacing at 1.5 watts. Mister Microphone might perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediaace View Post
    Even at 157 Watts, (which LPFM thankfully canít get) Entercom would have their communications attorney on speed dial. KSFM Woodland is alive and well at 102.5. Canít imagine there being any appreciatable spacing at 1.5 watts. Mister Microphone might perform better.
    Even if you extend all the way out into the fringe, 1.57 watts, 157 watts, it doesn't matter. It's just a giant crash zone of KSFM/KDON as you head east until you get to around Vacavile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.
    Now I just play radio online at www.allthebestoldies.com.

I forgot about KDON. Excellent point!
    Even if you extend all the way out into the fringe, 1.57 watts, 157 watts, it doesn't matter. It's just a giant crash zone of KSFM/KDON as you head east until you get to around Vacavile.

102.5 KDON/KSFM signals may fight each other on the bridges and other parts of the Bay Area. But look at the FCC's map: KXSF's primary contour only covers land areas of the City and County of San Francisco proper. So they're not expecting a decent signal on the bridges or East Bay/Marin anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal Geek View Post
    102.5 KDON/KSFM signals may fight each other on the bridges and other parts of the Bay Area. But look at the FCC's map: KXSF's primary contour only covers land areas of the City and County of San Francisco proper. So they're not expecting a decent signal on the bridges or East Bay/Marin anyway.
    Think of it as a restaurant downtown. If you want take out, there is the stream. But for the signal, you need to be downtown.

A lot of hipsters are living in town. The Presidio is in their primary contour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12