• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why is KCBS AM in San Francisco but KCBS TV is in Los Angeles?

What is the guy talking about? KNTV has always been licensed by the FCC to San Jose since previous owners/leadership ran KNTV back when Channel 11 was an contract ABC affiliate.

Also KICU aka KTVU+ a Fox Owned station has the city of License to San Jose even though its offices are in Oakland though.

KQEH aka KQED+ a PBS Affiliate has its city of License as San Jose because of FCC license even though its offices are in San Francisco.

Well KABC7 a Disney O&O has a city of License of Los Angeles even though its offices are in Glendale and Disneys CEO and Board office is in Burbank.

KOVR CBS 13 has its city of License in Stockton even though its Offices are in West Sacramento. And so on.

I'm not sure how the media critic in question claimed marketing ploy though for city of License.

The city of license/broadcasting facility/transmitter thing used to confuse me, too. In the 70's, I dated a woman who worked at (then) "KRE, Berkeley" - now KBLX - and it was simple - studios on the Berkeley waterfront, transmitter outside the window. Then I found out that "KFRC, San Francisco" used the same broadcasting tower in the Berkeley bay mud. When KYLD was on 107.7, their city of license was San Mateo, but they broadcast from San Francisco. The KGO, San Francisco transmitter is in the SF Bay mud near Palo Alto. So I get the concept of "city of license" but also understand why it confuses people.

RE: KNTV. What that Chronicle Tv critic was forgetting was that for many years, KNTV was truly a local San Jose station - first as a secondary ABC affiliate in the Bay Area (to KGO-TV), then later as an independent. When KRON 4 sold in 2002 or so, and NBC lost the negotiation for the station (to dumb-ass Young TV), they bought KNTV for the purpose of turning it into a Bay Area station, as it was the only NBC affiliate. In fact, they moved their transmitter to Mt. San Bruno between SF and Daly City, though "San Ho" (as some locals call it) remains the city of license.

"KTVU, Oakland" makes sense because it has always been licensed to Oakland, and also has their broadcast facilities there - on Jack London Square.

It hasn't gotten any easier or simpler with all of the move-ins and various other changes that have taken place. The main thing is that every move a station makes, in terms of where the studio is, where the transmitter is, and where the tower is, needs FCC approval. That means paperwork has to be filled out, it has to meet technical standards, the station's legal representation has to approve it, and the FCC Media Bureau has to approve it. Every step of the way.

KCAL Radio San Bernardino and KCAL-TV Los Angeles always had different owners and different City of License.

However I'm not sure when the rule for different owners to use the same call letters took into effect.

I know CBS was allowed to use the KCBS calls for Los Angeles TV and KCBS calls for San Francisco radio though since 1984 though.

KCAL Radio San Bernardino and KCAL-TV Los Angeles always had different owners and different City of License.

However I'm not sure when the rule for different owners to use the same call letters took into effect.

I know CBS was allowed to use the KCBS calls for Los Angeles TV and KCBS calls for San Francisco radio though since 1984 though.

But as stated, both KCBS's have the same owner. An example of same calls/different owner happened when Disney sold off their radio stations, so KABC and KGO radio became Citadel owned stations, but the call letters stayed on the Disney ABC owned TV stations. WABC too, I imagine, and probably some others.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-01/entertainment/ca-359_1_southern-california

Here is the article of the time Disney launched KCAL-TV at the time it noted that Disney had to pay an undisclosed royalty fee to the 1989 owners of KCAL-AM and KCAL-FM for KCAL-TV to start. Note I'm not sure if this royalty fee is still true today given that KCAL-TV and KCAL Radio have gone through ownership changes over the past three decades. Most Notably KCAL-TV has changed owners from Disney, Young and CBS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCAL-FM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCAL_(AM)

KHJ-TV, the station that brought Southern California viewers everything from Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, to a live call-in show with local politicians to the Lakers' new Yugoslav center Vlade Divac reciting a station identification in his native tongue, lives no more. On Saturday, the Walt Disney Co.'s first and only television station will change its name and call letters to "KCAL, California 9."

"In our research, KHJ, after all these years on the air, had a non-entity image," said Blake Byrne, Channel 9's president and general manager. "And we decided we would like to have a name that at least had the potential to create a positive image."

Since Disney took control of KHJ-TV last December after buying the troubled station from RKO for $320 million, the station has seemingly been intent on severing all ties to the past. Longtime general manager Chuck Velona was ousted, as were veteran news director Stephanie Rank Brady, news anchors Wendy Gordon, Tom Lawrence and Lonnie Lardner and sportscaster Scott St. James. Walt Baker, Channel 9's vice president of programming, who had been with the station since 1967, resigned last month.

Changing its name and logo apparently exorcises the last ghost from Los Angeles' perennially last-place VHF TV station, which, before the Disney sale was consummated, had been in trouble for more than 20 years because of a licensing dispute between its parent, RKO, and the Federal Communications Commission. Those problems had forced the station to air an unusually large amount of public-affairs programming, which contributed to its dismal ratings.

"KHJ was known as such a rag for so many years, this change might make the people at the station feel good," said Rick Feldman, station manager at KCOP Channel 13. "But odds are it doesn't mean anything in terms of adding viewership. It didn't mean anything for KNXT to become KCBS (in April, 1984). This is not going to change a thing. It's a non-issue."

Byrne said that the station looked at lists of new call letters before settling on KCAL. Two radio stations in Redlands already were using those letters, however, so, Byrne said, KHJ paid them a "large (undisclosed) fee" for permission to use them too.

"We thought (KCAL) was terrific," Byrne said. "California is what we're all about."

The thinking, Byrne continued, is that the new name will give the station a more local flavor. Since KTLA Channel 5 and KLAC-AM (570) already had Los Angeles in their names, "California 9" was the next best thing.

"Southern Californians and Northern Californians all identify themselves as Californians," Byrne said. "It ties into the self-image we would like to have. I would hope that it would help people in all of Southern California--in Riverside and San Bernardino and Orange County as well as L.A.--to identify with the station."

The station first went on the air experimentally in 1931 as Don Lee Television's W6XAO. It became KHJ in 1951. The call letters, one ex-employee said, stood for kindness, happiness and joy. The latter was often difficult to muster in the years before the sale to Disney.

"We had to be more innovative than would normally be expected because of the lack of financial support that we had," former program director Baker said Thursday. "RKO was spending a ton of money on lawyers in a gigantic battle to save the license. At one point for more than a year we had at least one Washington attorney in the building at all times and I was flying to Washington every other week. And even with all of that we managed to present a pretty good front."

KHJ started "The Million Dollar Movie" and, with a couple of "Elvira" specials, was the first station in the city to broadcast in 3-D. The station was home for "Groovy," "Boss City" and "The Real Don Steele Show" as well as the annual "Your Choice for the Oscars." "Government on the Line" enabled viewers to call in and talk directly to local and state politicians. A "Save Our Sports" telethon, Baker said, was instrumental in saving the sports programs at Los Angeles city schools in the wake of Proposition 13.

Here is the article of the time Disney launched KCAL-TV at the time it noted that Disney had to pay an undisclosed royalty fee to the 1989 owners of KCAL-AM and KCAL-FM for KCAL-TV to start. Note I'm not sure if this royalty fee is still true today given that KCAL-TV and KCAL Radio have gone through ownership changes over the past three decades.

The article does not say "royalty fee". It just says "fee". I've worked on a couple of call letter sharing deals, and usually the "fee" is a one-time payment to get the current user of the call letters to grant consent before the FCC for another licensee in another service to use the calls also. Pay the fee, get the FCC call change and no further payments.

Another big difference between San Francisco and Los Angeles, historically, is that the CITY of Los Angeles was able to expand, geographically by annexing big parts of outlying areas, like the San Fernando Valley - much of this due to the fact that LA city owned access to fresh water needed for agriculture, and the expansion of the population. Though the City & County of San Francisco's Hetch-Hetchy dam, does supply other cities on the SF Peninsula, SF never used their muscle to annex other cities and towns down the Peninsula, so it remains a geographically small (49 square mile) area at the northern tip of the peninsula

San Jose, at the southern end of San Francisco Bay, has no such geographic limitations, is about 180 square miles, and still has lots of open land to build on. San Jose passed SF in population sometime in the 1980's, though SF has grown by over 80,000 people since the 2010 census, and as Landtuna pointed out, has no place to build, but UP. This...and the continuing Tech Boom, is why San Francisco has become the most expensive place to live in the continental USA - even more so than New York City.

San Francisco could not have expanded by trying to annex additional area to become bigger even if it had wanted to. City booundaries can't extend from one county to another. They became the 'City and County of' in 1856 when the state split of the peninsula to the south away into another coun ty because of lawlessness.

Last edited:
What is the guy talking about? KNTV has always been licensed by the FCC to San Jose since previous owners/leadership ran KNTV back when Channel 11 was an contract ABC affiliate.

Also KICU aka KTVU+ a Fox Owned station has the city of License to San Jose even though its offices are in Oakland though.

KQEH aka KQED+ a PBS Affiliate has its city of License as San Jose because of FCC license even though its offices are in San Francisco.

Well KABC7 a Disney O&O has a city of License of Los Angeles even though its offices are in Glendale and Disneys CEO and Board office is in Burbank.

KOVR CBS 13 has its city of License in Stockton even though its Offices are in West Sacramento. And so on.

I'm not sure how the media critic in question claimed marketing ploy though for city of License.

I do remember in previous threads we mentioned KHJ9/KCAL9 was in various disputes over its broadcast license because of RKO General that lead to KHJ9/KCAL9 being required to say "Norwalk/Los Angeles" and that's what lead to Disney having to mention Norwalk during its time as owner of KCAL9 until Disney divested KCAL9 for ABC and KABC7 that lead to the Norwalk City of License to be lifted and changed back to Los Angeles under Young Broadcasting ownership.

Does anyone know the reason Norwalk became the city of license? For decades it was KHJ-TV Los Angeles, 'An RKO-General Station'

About Norwalk, nobody in their right mind would put anything to do with media in the city midway between LA and Orange County.

Does anyone know the reason Norwalk became the city of license? For decades it was KHJ-TV Los Angeles, 'An RKO-General Station'

About Norwalk, nobody in their right mind would put anything to do with media in the city midway between LA and Orange County.

Long story, based on RKO’s long and, ultimately, failed effort to hold its licenses against FCC investigations and strike applications. At one point, being the first local TV service to another area community got points.

Remember, in a large market, the actual Community of License is irrelevant as long as the signal covered the market.

Found an answer in a six-year old post on this very board (FYI, KHJ-TV's sister WOR-TV had its city of license changed from New York to Secaucus, New Jersey in 1983):

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?627716-KHJ-TV-9-Morning-Movie-Opens-1989&p=5675786&viewfull=1#post5675786

I'm sure the real reason is that KFOX were already established call letters that had nothing to do with 20th Century Fox, which is where, after all, that Rupert Murdoch and News Corp got the "Fox" branding. It's not like News Corp could just "reserve" the call letters for their own use, and steal them from the former owner. I recall that when I was a kid, there was a "KFOX" AM radio station in the LA market - out of Long Beach, IIRC - and it played country music.

Until recently, there was a "K-Fox" FM station in the Bay Area, though I believe the calls were "KKFX" or similar.

Similar story, which may be apocryphal. When Bay Area radio maverick James Gabbert decided to become a TV broadcaster in the 80's, and bought broken down independent Channel 20, he wanted to buy the KFRC call letters from RKO General, the owners of KFRC AM radio. RKO declined the offer.

So it's not like News Corp could just grab the KFOX calls without some work, red tape, and $$$. Also, KTTV is a heritage LA station, and to some extent, "KTTV" had some value to viewers in the 80's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFOX_(AM)

Interestingly KFOX Radio in Los Angeles is currently a Korean Format station in the market.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFRN

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDAY

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom