Why is KCBS AM in San Francisco but KCBS TV is in Los Angeles? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is KCBS AM in San Francisco but KCBS TV is in Los Angeles?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    KNX-AM is a brand alone, and is known all over SoCal at the news station, still owned by CBS/Entercom.
    Nit-picking, perhaps: There is no such thing as CBS/Entercom. Entercom absorbed the CBS radio properties with a procedure that gave CBS shareholders shares in Entercom. But CBS, Inc. does not own Entercom; its shareholders got stock in Entercom which they could hold or sell independent of their CBS shares.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    Note that the legal call letters for the American Samoa station are "KKHJ-FM." 93.1 FM. The station would not have been able to use the actual "KHJ" call letters, because they remain at 930 AM - in Los Angeles, regardless of the defunkedness of RKO General.
    For quite a few years in the 1990's 930 in LA was KKHJ, and only through a clever ruse which the FCC swallowed hook, line and sinker were the 3-letter calls returned to the facility.

Unless it had been licensed around 1922, the Somoan facility could never have had the KHJ calls.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Note that the legal call letters for the American Samoa station are "KKHJ-FM." 93.1 FM. The station would not have been able to use the actual "KHJ" call letters, because they remain at 930 AM - in Los Angeles, regardless of the defunkedness of RKO General.
    Shouldn't that be "defunctedness"? :-))

And to take it back to "Kevin Bacon" - KCBS San Francisco's FM repeater on 106.9 FM still has the KFRC call letters.
    Both the main channel and their repeater, which goes by KFRC-1. Not to foment upheaval, but recall what the fake Chris Edwards did with KYAF in Firebaugh? Boss of the Bay...or was that Boss of the Farmland?

Pretty much nobody but us radio nerds cares about call letters these days.
    Yup...that and city of license.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Hey Alexa, call Doc & Nurse Jeff...we're really screwed up!

Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    I find it interesting with all this talk about call letters, LA rarely uses the complete calls on any news stations, except for KTLA and KCAL, though KCAL is basically KCBS. It is ABC7, NBC4, CBS2, Fox11, etc. and has been that way for decades. I wonder if some stations may revert to "full" calls at some point, as the network becomes less important to the local news product.

From a radio perspective, LA of course still has KABC, but like many old AM's is not performing like it once did. KNX-AM is a brand alone, and is known all over SoCal at the news station, still owned by CBS/Entercom.
    Another CBS owned station that likes to ID itself by call letters is KPIX 5 San Francisco the primary CBS affiliate in the area but that was a carry over when CBS took over the old Group W stations.

And of course when Fox Took over KTVU in Oakland they use both Call letters and network name like "KTVU Fox 2 News"

Thanks to all for answering this. I have often wondered why it took so long for CBS to change KNXT to KCBS in Los Angeles when KABC-TV and KNBC-TV had been using their calls for years on LA stations. I also wondered why KCBS-AM was in San Francisco. Now I have my answers.

Fox never chose to follow this in New York or LA switching WNYW to WFOX or KTTV to KFOX. WFOX is now used (since 2014) by a Fox station in Jacksonville, Florida and KFOX is used by a Fox station in El Paso, Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    For quite a few years in the 1990's 930 in LA was KKHJ, and only through a clever ruse which the FCC swallowed hook, line and sinker were the 3-letter calls returned to the facility.
    The FCC swallowed caca?
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Yup...that and city of license.
    I had an argument (via email) about a decade ago with the local TV critic for the SF Chronicle, when he trashed our new NBC TV affiliate - KNTV - for their TOH ID - "KNTV San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland." The critic claimed that putting San Jose first was a marketing ploy to appeal to all the high-tech nerds of Silicon Valley.

I emailed him, said NOPE - San Jose is their city of license. His response - "City of what?"

After I explained it, it became clear that in 2 decades of TV criticism, much of it regarding local Bay Area programming, he didn't know what city of license was.

I had an argument (via email) about a decade ago with the local TV critic for the SF Chronicle, when he trashed our new NBC TV affiliate - KNTV - for their TOH ID - "KNTV San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland." The critic claimed that putting San Jose first was a marketing ploy to appeal to all the high-tech nerds of Silicon Valley.

I emailed him, said NOPE - San Jose is their city of license. His response - "City of what?"

After I explained it, it became clear that in 2 decades of TV criticism, much of it regarding local Bay Area programming, he didn't know what city of license was.

What is the guy talking about? KNTV has always been licensed by the FCC to San Jose since previous owners/leadership ran KNTV back when Channel 11 was an contract ABC affiliate.

Also KICU aka KTVU+ a Fox Owned station has the city of License to San Jose even though its offices are in Oakland though.

KQEH aka KQED+ a PBS Affiliate has its city of License as San Jose because of FCC license even though its offices are in San Francisco.

Well KABC7 a Disney O&O has a city of License of Los Angeles even though its offices are in Glendale and Disneys CEO and Board office is in Burbank.

KOVR CBS 13 has its city of License in Stockton even though its Offices are in West Sacramento. And so on.

I'm not sure how the media critic in question claimed marketing ploy though for city of License.

I do remember in previous threads we mentioned KHJ9/KCAL9 was in various disputes over its broadcast license because of RKO General that lead to KHJ9/KCAL9 being required to say "Norwalk/Los Angeles" and that's what lead to Disney having to mention Norwalk during its time as owner of KCAL9 until Disney divested KCAL9 for ABC and KABC7 that lead to the Norwalk City of License to be lifted and changed back to Los Angeles under Young Broadcasting ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    The FCC swallowed caca?
    In one big bite!

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post

I do remember in previous threads we mentioned KHJ9/KCAL9 was in various disputes over its broadcast license because of RKO General that lead to KHJ9/KCAL9 being required to say "Norwalk/Los Angeles" and that's what lead to Disney having to mention Norwalk during its time as owner of KCAL9 until Disney divested KCAL9 for ABC and KABC7 that lead to the Norwalk City of License to be lifted and changed back to Los Angeles under Young Broadcasting ownership.
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1004990001.pdf

The change back to just LA as the city of license happened well before the Young ownership.

I don't know why they made the change at that specific time, but of course they wanted to eliminate "Norwalk" from the ID.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234