• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPHT and KYW on FM, will it happen?

So what will be the fate of the Sinatra show? Will it's sixty plus year run end or is its time slot considered harmless allowing Sid to stay on?
There’s always an opportunity to sell time to more scam financial artists and dubious “remedies” for what ails you.

Sometimes I can’t believe that show is still around.

If WHYY is tie with KYW in 18-34, moving to FM won't change a thing.[/url]

While I can't say I agree that adding an FM signal wouldn't change a thing regarding younger listeners, I should point out that my response was tongue-in-cheek. :)

I think the industry really missed the boat with HD. The way they advertised it ("stations between the stations"???) was so bizarre to me. I acknowledge that a lot of radio geeks dislike HD because of it screws up DX-ing. But the sound is just so much better. And the (at-this-point-mostly-wasted) opportunities for interesting formats on the side-channels was something I think could have been a big opportunity for radio. I always felt like stations should have been doing a much better job of advertising what their "commercial-free" side-channels were offering and telling people how to hear them. I felt like that was the way to get people to consider buying new receivers. At the very least, demand could have encouraged many more car companies to have HD stereos as optional equipment.

I don't get to hear radio much these days but when I do (usually during a road trip), HD side channels are mostly what I end up listening to! But I suppose they're going to continue slowly become simulcasts of sister stations until the whole experiment finally dies out. Hopefully, they'll at least come up with some other use for the technology.

When I first heard about HD Radio I was exciting I thought it was going to be a big thing. I thought AM stations that had FM sister stations would move to an HD sub-channel and in 5 or 10 years when HD became the norm, they would shut down their AM signal, allowing other stations to move to the abandoned frequency i.e. day time only stations or lower power stations. I thought that would've been a way to declutter the AM band.

When I first heard about HD Radio I was exciting I thought it was going to be a big thing. I thought AM stations that had FM sister stations would move to an HD sub-channel and in 5 or 10 years when HD became the norm, they would shut down their AM signal, allowing other stations to move to the abandoned frequency i.e. day time only stations or lower power stations. I thought that would've been a way to declutter the AM band.

I couldn't agree more, Marc B! That's exactly what I thought would happen. Especially for AM stations with limited signals that had an FM counterpart. They could eventually turn off that AM transmitter and the stations that remained could change their patterns, increase power, etc. and make the AM band a little bit better.

The big problem happened when the FCC didn't force radio manufacturers to include HD on all their radios. (Think, AM Stereo. They never picked a standard, and it died.)

The big problem happened when the FCC didn't force radio manufacturers to include HD on all their radios.

Considering that doing so would have been a financial bonanza to exactly one company -- iBiquity, which licenses the technology -- and an unfunded mandate to all the manufacturers of radios, the FCC was wise not to step in there. Besides, the radio horse had already left the barn for consumers, who weren't buying new radios anymore. It had been decades since original FM programming in stereo gave them a reason to go out and buy a new radio, and HD's "channels between the channels" playing songs that 90+ percent of the population didn't want to hear on any device were never going to be a strong enough reason to get them to buy another one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom