• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDAS-AM is on 102.5 and no one noticed

...or cared for that matter. W273DO signed on a few days ago, and gives WDAS-AM its first regular FM signal. Wish they had this back when it was smooth jazz, a format I particularly loved. Now may I ask, what on earth is the point of this signal? WRFY blasts all the way into Sicklerville, NJ and I regularly listened to it in and around Camden, because its signal was just that strong. Who is paying for the translator and licensing, and why are they even bothering? 1480 hasn't made the books in months, and I guarantee you ask anyone even in the heart of center city if they even heard of 1480 or "breakthrough radio" and maybe you'll get two people- Michael Tozzi and the engineer who installed 102.5.

Feel free to drop your two cents.

The signal is blatant interference. I was listening to the Tropo opening on Sunday and I was kind of confused because I thought I heard another signal that was DX besides WBOC. As soon as I heard the ID for the CHOP station, I wanted to scream. I can rant about useless translators all day, but I digress.

Putting that signal on a HD multicast signal makes much more sense. Even 88.9 is a much better spot.

The only way to get a clearer FM dial is to move.

Could CHoP also be footing some of the transmitter bill just as they're responsible for a portion of on-air content? And what's the signal's range? I could see it making some sense if it hits CHoP proper so people can actually listen to the station they're presumably hearing/seeing about. Aside from that I'd have no idea why that station needs an FM repeater and why an HD feed from a sister station isn't there instead. Perhaps not yet?

Also let me get in on the lament that this broadcast wasn't on-air for a prior incarnation of 'DAS-AM (the '11-13 R&B Oldies version)

Could CHoP also be footing some of the transmitter bill just as they're responsible for a portion of on-air content? And what's the signal's range? I could see it making some sense if it hits CHoP proper so people can actually listen to the station they're presumably hearing/seeing about. Aside from that I'd have no idea why that station needs an FM repeater and why an HD feed from a sister station isn't there instead. Perhaps not yet?

Also let me get in on the lament that this broadcast wasn't on-air for a prior incarnation of 'DAS-AM (the '11-13 R&B Oldies version)

An HD "feed" is not a good replacement for a translator. An HD subchannel is most useful as an enabler for a translator; we know the HD will get zero to very little audience but the translator can get decent audience levels if well located and using a fairly decent facility.

A quick glance at a map looks like it covers CHOP, but not even the northernmost or westernmost parts of the city. A bit into NJ, and about as far south as the airport.

In all seriousness, I can’t imagine there’s a lot of radios in use at CHOP. Streaming, perhaps. But “traditional” radios in the building? I’d honestly be surprised if it numbered much at all.

Exactly Abraham. Could you imagine the interference inside CHOP? There's no reason anyone would have an FM radio tuned to 102.5. It's just not gonna happen. This is by far the most abhorrent translator in the city, but WHAT-AM's 99.9 gives it a run for its money. I rather like WURD-AM's 96.1 since they play some really good motown and lo-fi beats at night, and their nighttime signal is all but useless at night since CHUM from Canada kills it.

Nevertheless, this 102.5 is a waste of money and RF. The music is chicken rock and WRFY is a way better station but now it's gone, unless you can null out the translator. I got the antenna to do so, but normal folks won't even bother. Most around the city weren't listening to WRFY till you get out to west chester, but even then, WDAS-AM isn't bringing anything new to the table. It is just stupid.

96.1 has a very strange directional pattern for 100w, you can receive them as far away to the east as Lakehurst, NJ, but in Bala a few blocks behind them, nothing. With the target audience they are trying to reach, why shoot your signal right into the Jersey Pinelands. The newbees 92.9, 94.9, 95.1, 98.5, 99.9, 103.7 and 106.5 would of suited them better.

96.1 has a very strange directional pattern for 100w, you can receive them as far away to the east as Lakehurst, NJ, but in Bala a few blocks behind them, nothing. With the target audience they are trying to reach, why shoot your signal right into the Jersey Pinelands. The newbees 92.9, 94.9, 95.1, 98.5, 99.9, 103.7 and 106.5 would of suited them better.

I'm assuming 96.1 and 102.5 aim east to A.) Maximize coverage over city limits and B.) Protect against 96.1 WCTO and 102.5 WRFY. 99.9 also seems to go east and away somewhat from 99.9 WODE.

I could be completely wrong with these reasons though!

Looks like they are using the tower on the old Architects building, which channel 35 used back in the 60's. That signal can really get out from that location..

The signal is really good, was at Springfield Mall today, it was solid even though they should be extremely nulled to the west to protect WRFY. WRFY which had a good signal in DELCO was overwhelmed. Then going into Medford tonight they were solid the whole way. Took a few pics of their XMTR today.

002.jpg008.jpg

Heard this signal, I can tell they are using really good equipment but in some of its strongest coverage area 102.5 Reading is really giving this translator a lot of interference, even being around the pennslanding area close to the center city where the antenna is located the signal gets whipped out. But from what I also heard, they are still working on the signal.

Not from my vantage points, WRFY has been non existent since their launch, they are super strong in NE. South/West Philly, DELCO, Camden/Glouster/Burlinton counties in Jersey, I am waiting for WRFY to complain, but I think they are owned by the same outfit, so all systems go, unless you miss Rock Hits, whatever that meant lmao.

I can't see Breakthrough Radio staying on for long. It's a prime location, covering the downtown office buildings well. Breakthrough Radio is basically donated to CHoP as a tax writeoff. It's on 102.5 temporarily till they work out the kinks of the new station.
At least it is unlikely to be shut down for interference because WRFY is co owned, and so is WIOQ. Perhaps they might throw Y-102 on an HD2 and use the translator to bring Y-102 into Philadelphia.
They would be wise to not compete with Greater Media because they own 102.9 MGK and that station could get the translator shut down for interference.
Many people commute into Philly from the 422 corridor up to Reading, that's why a simulcast with WRFY makes the most sense

Its a shame they weren''t owned by either Equity or Beasley. It would of been nice to have WMID or WMGK HD2 put on it to bring real oldies to the main band in Philly.

Wasted local LP signals IMHO 88.1, 94.9, 95.1, 95.3, 96.1, 97.1, 98.5, 99.9, 103.7, 105.7 and 106.5, some are more useless than others and block out once listenable/enjoyable distant signals but I will not elaborate. Although 92.9 OOM/GGT and 107.3 RDV are very useful and entertaining.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom