• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kevin Klein coming to LA?

Agreed. I think old radio nerds like me tend to hate voice-tracked shows because they typically have so little content - because that's what radio programmers want now. "The "DJ" is expected to only open the mic once per music set, and never seems to provide any content either going into or coming out of the stop set.But there is no reason that these shows couldn't have tons of content.

Sure, if the music (or other content) is far removed and interchageable (which ultimately means "disposable"), there is no reason why the DJ can't be either. Just don't expect the DJ to generate the brand identity or the listener loyalty that comes with it. Just by way of comparison, Don Barrett has a story up today about LARPs who could never be imitated or duplicated - one of a kind personalities. Our own Mr. Haggerty came up with a great list that fits the bill:

Art Laboe
Bill Ballance
Bob Crane
Johnny Magnus
The Real Don Steele
Robert W. Morgan
B. Mitchel Reed
Jimmy Rabbitt
Wolfman Jack
Frazier Smith,
Lee Baby Simms
Bobby Ocean
Phil Hendrie

I will add one to his list if I may, the great Jim Healy, who not only performed his own show, but produced all of his own content, and then ran his own board, which is still incredible when you think about it, particularly when you think about the old clumsy carts he had to deal with!

What do all of these guys have in common? They never faxed it in. They never came to the studio for a few hours to "tape the intros" and went on to do a morning TV show. I will stipulate that I believe the Wolfman did tape some of his shows in advance, but you would never know it; he was full energy all of the time and he was certainly not replaceable.

Sure, if the music (or other content) is far removed and interchageable (which ultimately means "disposable"), there is no reason why the DJ can't be either. Just don't expect the DJ to generate the brand identity or the listener loyalty that comes with it.

Keep in mind that brand identity isn't the same as content. For the past 30 years, radio stations have done imaging to create brand identity. Listener loyalty depends on the format. The alternative format has very low levels of listener loyalty, because the audience gets its music from so many different places. The advantage to something like The Woody Show is the loyalty is to the show, not the music. But if a station thinks it can build listener loyalty from music, it will be disappointed. That's why Kevin & Bean have been so successful. People tune in for them.

Assuming that's what the audience wants. Back-announcing songs isn't content, it's an interruption.

With more and more listeners using technology which displays the song currently playing, it's almost unnecessary to back announce to ID what was just played in the set, though Nic Harcourt (88.5 FM mornings) does that for each half hour and names each song/artist played in the previous 30 minutes but he does it in such a way as to not interrupt the cadence and flow of the program. He is one of the few who knows how to do this!

So it looks like KROQ has paired Klein with Ted Stryker in afternoons. But is that a permanent change, or are they simply parking Klein there for now, with plans to move him or do something different?

So it looks like KROQ has paired Klein with Ted Stryker in afternoons. But is that a permanent change, or are they simply parking Klein there for now, with plans to move him or do something different?

Are they testing a possible replacement show to Kevin and Bean? I remember either Kevin or Bean said they were hanging around for one more year...

Kevin and Stryker, with Allie McKay as third mic?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom