• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM arrays in Nashville from late 90’s

Kd4pbj

New Participating Member
Hi,

Way back in 1998-1999 I was coming through Nashville on the way up to Quincy IL to attend Audiovault training at Broadcast Electronics. Coming from my then home in NC, I took I-40 then got on 24 headed north. A short distance later, still in metro I remember seeing a multi tower AM array up in a field on the right side of the interstate and there was a small sign with call letters.
Fast forward to now and I’ve been living near Nashville now for almost 10 years. I’ve not found that site in all my searching. Does anyone know what it was?

Thanks!

Chris

Likely it was WVOL-1470, right off I-24/I-65 just south of the Trinity Lane exit. That is the only multi-tower array visible from the Interstates in Nashville.

Thanks! Yes I remember seeing WVOL then and a year or two ago. Was WNAH possibly directional back in the 90’s? It’s current single tower location would be nearby where I remember this array being located.

WWGM/1560 was originally licensed to Nashville and directional until it was moved to Gallatin with 1kw non-directional, as WMRO. I have no idea where their towers were located when they were directional.

WWGM/1560 was originally licensed to Nashville and directional until it was moved to Gallatin with 1kw non-directional, as WMRO. I have no idea where their towers were located when they were directional.

Briley Parkway and Ashland City Highway, southwest corner of the interchange. The old WAMB, now WFCN, uses one of those towers.

Thanks! Yes I remember seeing WVOL then and a year or two ago. Was WNAH possibly directional back in the 90’s? It’s current single tower location would be nearby where I remember this array being located.

It has been at the same location since about 1963. There are no changes in the record for that station since then, expect for a CP to increase to 5kW, which was promptly returned.

I've passed through that area for quite some time since the 1980s (I'm native to this area). I don't remember seeing any directional AM antenna arrays near that location except for WVOL's. As a kid, I always wondered what those towers were for. It wasn't long before I figured that out. :)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom