• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hitland 106.9

Ai4i

Star Participant
As of this last Friday, WSRQ (and W295BH)'s format is 1960's and 70's pop music.
Too bad they were only placeholding 98.3,
but they mentioned on their FB page that a signal increase is in the works.

An FCC query, looks like an app in Venice for 250 watts on 95.9, terrible HAAT but who knows they might be able to move it. and as always I might know more than letting on......seems like an older WSRZ
srqfm.com or direct link http://ice6.securenetsystems.net/WSRQ

With 103.9 as a CHR and now 106.9 as oldies, if you listen to the AM band, and you hear the AM counterparts of 1450 and 1220, respectfully, in addition to Regional Mexican 1280, (soon to be FM) you would think music is returning to the AM band.

What I think is funny, is it is almost what happened originally when music was king on AM and the FM was just there. The simulcasts were still there until the FCC said it couldn't. Then they reversed the decision and could be again.

What is old is new again. Gonna have to fire up that AM-only tube Philco once more!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Last edited:
in addition to Regional Mexican 1280, (soon to be FM)
Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
Launching a translator in an area the size of Sarasota is the same as launching a new station
and they will be spotty in much of Manatee county, so I wonder how long this format will survive.

I like the format. I hope it lasts. It covers Sarasota pretty well.

Too bad 106.9 moved from the old 103.3 tower.
That was a nice signal from there.
And, at the risk of sounding greedy, I would have liked to have heard them from the top, top, top, of the tower.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

...terrible HAAT but who knows they might be able to move it. and as always I might know more than letting on...
@47ft, they will be almost 3dB weaker than a 100@100 LPFM in Venice.

Hitland or WULB-LP, The Beach?
Opinions?

Hey Jeff notice anything lately?

Yup!
Went past and found a couple of bays which had been returned to the old Dove tower!

I assume the transmission line was left in good condition and reused.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Actually new transmission line, the old line was removed with the antenna. It is the same 2 bays but they went to SWR to be directional-ized for this CP. Now 95.9 was all new, both seem to perform pretty well. The new BW V3 transmitters have a lot more features like on board dynamic RDS which will get working soon.

RFRUS thank you on sounding good, hopefully 1220 will as well when done. (its hopefully happening real soon)

If you need any help with 1220, let me know. I think you know who I am.

The BW with the built in audio processor is the same as the GatesAir LX transmitter. GatesAir actually quoted me a better proce than BW for the same transmitter for a project I am working on. Its a nice transmitter.

I noticed both stations are spotty on 17th Street between Orange and 301.

I went with BW because the new V3 will do dynamic RDS, which hasn't been implemented yet. (station level) I agree in between the 2 is some thin spots but everyone is happy with the vast majority of coverage. Mr Rackley came by and did final tune up and bandwidth measurements today, WSRQ AM is now broadcasting from Beneva under automatic PTA, the 302 will be formally filed tomorrow. Literally this was built in about 7 days and would normally be 3 to 6 months. I am glad it is over and at my age will likely be the only time I get to build one myself. (design by Ron Rackley of course)

and FYI Gates when asked for a 1KW AM quote they did not respond with an offering which was also a point when I decided on BW. I think AM transmitters in general are a good indicator of a manufactures commitment to broadcast. Companies like Deva and BW that when emailed for support issues have firmware fixes in hours is impressive despite market share and I like to support those folks. (think Cutting Edge back in the day) I am saddened by Gates Air's lack of AM support.

If anyone would like pictures or a site visit I am pretty proud of the result and will gladly meet anyone that wants to see it.

Oh and this ends an STA of over 20 years for WSRQ AM, that in itself I think a pretty cool milestone considering the alternative of deletion!

After all of that moving around, they end up back at the original 1220 WSAF, site from 1960. I wonder why they didn't try and buy the original building which is still there.

As for the new transmitter, I thought they had a fairly new Nautel J1000.

It is the J1000, the MW1 hasn't made the move yet. It is missing a couple PA modules so it will be a long term project.

I am confused by all this.
Has the station erected a second tower or built two new ones here or what?
I suspect that "what" is the correct answer!

Back when they operated at that site on a slant wire the first time, before they bought the J1000, they asked me to look at the MW1, said it would not make 1kw. I explained that they had a STA for 250 watts day and 40 watts at night non-directional which was 25% of their licensed power. They kept insisting they were licensed for 1kw. I said yes, you are licensed for 1kw as a 2-tower directional. You can operate at only 25% power non-directional. They didn't like the answers I gave them and I never heard from them again.

Some of the previous owners took real liberties with rules and laws. 1 owner even tried to bribe a prominent engineer in town to bribe the commission so they could get an answer they wanted. Anyway the station has finally gotten back on track.

The station has installed on the originally licensed site, however the original towers have been long since removed. So a slant wire (shunt fed) was used to excite the self support cellular tower.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom