• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Strange song choices format-wise?

An alternative station had Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" in regular rotation awhile back. Maybe not that unusual as Cash had some alternative airplay on "Hurt"
A motorcycle passed me in Myrtle Beach and was playing it. Later I was in the car and an R&B oldies morning show was playing requests. This was one of them.

I work for a locally programmed AC variety/Jack FM like station and here's a sampling of music during my afternoon drive show today,. when we say "The best music variety.." we mean it

Cutting Crew
Zac Brown Band
Michelle Branch
David Bowie
Goo Goo dolls
Nico & Vinz
Spice girls
One Direction
Eagles
Calvin Harris/Rihanna
Foo fighters
Jimmy Buffet
En Vouge
Eddie Money
Darius Rucker
Juice Newton
Van Halen
Bruno Mars
Boyz II Men

WEZV just keeps coming up with surprises. "Hey Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" and "Remember When". Both are country songs. The first one was a crossover hit but one that I thought most AC stations would avoid. The second wasn't a crossover hit that I can remember.

I work for a locally programmed AC variety/Jack FM like station and here's a sampling of music during my afternoon drive show today,. when we say "The best music variety.." we mean it

Cutting Crew
Zac Brown Band
Michelle Branch
David Bowie
Goo Goo dolls
Nico & Vinz
Spice girls
One Direction
Eagles
Calvin Harris/Rihanna
Foo fighters
Jimmy Buffet
En Vouge
Eddie Money
Darius Rucker
Juice Newton
Van Halen
Bruno Mars
Boyz II Men

What station is this? looks interesting, might give it a listen.

Because the remake is only getting played on alternative stations and some active rock, while the Toto version was #1 at Top 40 and AC.

So that means broader airplay. #1 alternative may mean 4 plays a day, while #1 pop is twice that, on stations with more audience.

Not exactly, my local Hot AC is playing the remake. I also heard it on WPFM before that station was taken out, and on a couple other smaller market stations.

Not exactly, my local Hot AC is playing the remake. I also heard it on WPFM before that station was taken out, and on a couple other smaller market stations.

Some unknown really small station in a ghost town with the call letters WHTZ was playing the Weezer version 112x a week.

I think I've said this before, but this is being influenced by millennials who aren't constrained by formats or genres. They like what they like, whether it's country, rock, or pop. These kinds of formats will vary by market competition, but the main factor is reaching a particular lifestyle.

I think I've said this before, but this is being influenced by millennials who aren't constrained by formats or genres. They like what they like, whether it's country, rock, or pop. These kinds of formats will vary by market competition, but the main factor is reaching a particular lifestyle.

Where would these millennials have been exposed to Juice Newton, whose hits haven't been played at all on classic hits stations and are seldom heard on classic country stations? I can see most of the other acts on the list -- especially if this localized "Jack" is the proverbial inch-deep, mile-wide that national "Jacks" have been -- but Juice sticks out as a real outlier just tossed into the mix as an "oh wow" entry.

Sounds like the old Top 40 format.

What we do may not work elsewhere, but it works well for us.

Mom's car, driving to soccer practice as a kid.

as an on air jock, my previous experience with Juice Newton was playing her on a country station during our classic country segment

I recall years ago our local Easy Listening station would insert "Beth" by KISS into the rotation.

Interestingly they would NEVER identify the artist. But they would play it.

Where would these millennials have been exposed to Juice Newton, whose hits haven't been played at all on classic hits stations and are seldom heard on classic country stations?
YouTube...Spotify...Pandora...

My prescience is lacking in that situation.... :D

That would assume they'd seek that artist or have that style in their profile.

I suppose Newton could come up in the long side-panel of suggested videos that YouTube throws at you based on what you're now watching. For example, I just played Newton's "Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me" and got "suggestions" of "Walk Like an Egyptian," "Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses," "Lyin' Eyes," "One Night in Bangkok," and "Total Eclipse of the Heart." So maybe people who play any of those songs get the Newton tune in their "suggestions" as well.

I just played Newton's "Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me" and got "suggestions" of "Walk Like an Egyptian,"
That first song has one of the most memorable videos that I remember. She keeps getting hurt worse and worse.

It was close to sunset so I don't know who was playing it but that second song was playing somewhere. There are a couple of classic hits/oldies stations I can pick up and I don't know whether I was hearing the one that is clear during the day.

The Bangles get way overplayed on stations that feature 80s. So does Pat Benetar and Joan Jett. IMO, these are poor examples of what was a pretty good decade in music. Oddly, even though Olivia Newton-John had one of the biggest hits of the 80s, she doesn't get nearly as much play.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom