Is Dan Ingram Known Outside the New York Metropolitan Area? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Dan Ingram Known Outside the New York Metropolitan Area?

Quote Originally Posted by dumber than a box of hair View Post
    WABC was simulcast on WABC-FM/95.5 back then, although I don’t know if it was stereo. Today the FM is WPLJ.
    The FM must of had a great signal in the metro...back then..

Generally, no he was not known well outside of the NYC area. As a lifelong radio fan myself, I had never heard of him until I went through NYC in 1993 and heard him on CBS-FM. Of course I was blown away and have been a fan ever since. I have spoken with others who grew up in the 60s/70s Top 40 heyday and they did not know of Dan Ingram. However, most everyone knows Cousin Brucie.
    Last edited by RMarino; 07-02-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVero View Post
    A young broadcaster who was doing traffic reports in Tampa sent Rick a tape.
    Traffic reports? Mr. Cruz was a disc jockey at WLCY.

He filled in a lot for Dan. Bob had weekend shifts and eventually got Dan's afternoon slot when Dan moved to mornings for a little while.
    Bob Cruz was hired to host the all-night show (replacing Jay Reynolds); he substituted for Dan Ingram 36 Saturdays a year.

When Bob Cruz filled in for Dan, especially on Saturday, he never/rarely identified himself.
    Though he opened the Saturday shows without a monologue, he closed them with Ingramesque remarks to the accompaniment of Billy May's "Tri-Fi Drums."

I always wondered if Rick was testing the waters seeing if the audience would complain that Bruce was off the air. By late summer 1974 Brucie was gone.
    Are you suggesting Bruce Morrow was fired?
    Plugged into the electric radio

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    @ R Marino ....

Merely a guess here, but I would add the names Joey Reynolds, Jean Shepherd and Dick Biondi to that of Cousin Brucie as being a more recognized radio name outside the NY Metro.

Especially in the summer. Dan Ingram did a shift that began in broad daylight, year 'round. The others I mentioned had that nighttime-skip exposure to millions more, on the massive signals WKBW, WOR, WLS and that same WABC, respectively.

I'm a radio person, but one who would not recognize those super-jocks on the Coast -- Steele, Morgan, Tuna, Rose -- if they broadcast a remote from outside my house.

Great question, Bruce NYC !

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Traffic reports? Mr. Cruz was a disc jockey at WLCY.
    I strive for accuracy and I could have worded that comment better. The tape WABC PD Rick Sklar listened to was of Mr. Cruz giving a traffic report. At least that's what he said in his autobiography. Rick's recollections were not always accurate and certain things were embellished and this was discussed in one of my "Radio Days" strings in the North Florida board.

Bob Cruz was hired to host the all-night show (replacing Jay Reynolds); he substituted for Dan Ingram 36 Saturdays a year.
    If my memory serves me correctly, Pulse ratings were used. There were quarterly reports, I believe. I do remember Dan worked 4 Saturdays in a row and then he was off a whole bunch of Saturdays. From what I remember the ratings covered a month period usually starting on a Thursday in mid-month and ending the following month on a Wednesday around mid-month as well. That would probably explain the 36 Saturdays. Harrison Harrison, the morning jock, eventually had a similar deal where he worked on Saturday only during the ratings period.

Though he opened the Saturday shows without a monologue, he closed them with Ingramesque remarks to the accompaniment of Billy May's "Tri-Fi Drums."
    I believe all fill-in hosts ended Dan's show with the Tri-Fi Drums. They were among Dan's trademarks.

Are you suggesting Bruce Morrow was fired?
    Rick wrote and discussed in interviews of Bruce's business ventures and other activities that distracted him from concentrating on his show. The engineer tended to parts of the show while Bruce was on the phone. There was less and less participation from Bruce. The WABC formula worked with talk-ups on virtually every song and lots of personality and interaction with the audience. Rick agreed to open up Bruce's contract so he could be tied to compensation based on rating points. Bruce saw an opportunity to jump ship to WNBC. I suspect Rick was concerned about Bruce's performance and future ratings impacts. Rick wanted to get him back on track. Speculation on my part but I suspect Bruce's contract had a good chance of not being renewed if the nighttime numbers continued to be negatively impacted by the FM challenges. Again, speculation on my part but it seems logical. I've always been fascinated with Rick and I think I knew how he thought about things.
    Last edited by JohnVero; 07-03-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Formerly JohnJax. I've relocated to the beautiful Treasure Coast in Florida. Radio has been a long time passion. Fortunate to have "learned" from the very best. Radio is so full of surprises. Stay tuned.

Dan's addition to KBOX Dallas in 1959-1960 brought that station the highest ratings it would ever have during its Top 40 run. There are probably a few folks that will remember Dan Ingram from that brief Dallas run, though KLIF was at a 40+ share compared to KBOX's 10.

Harrison Harrison, the morning jock, eventually had a similar deal where he worked on Saturday only during the ratings period.
    I haven't any recollection of such an arrangement with Mr. Harrison. After Dan Ingram took over morning drive, however, he never worked another Saturday at WABC.
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 07-03-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Plugged into the electric radio

Is Dan Ingram Known Outside the New York Metropolitan Area?
    If you have to ask, the answer is probably no. Have to admit that I never heard of him.

Big Dan would have been known to some who might have recognized his voice when he announced during the early days of Home Box Office...who remembers that name?
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    Another name to add to that list 'outside the NY Metro' would be Bill St James, a fellow from Connecticut.

Well, another identiable 'voice', anyway. I doubt any civilian/non-radio person would know his name. Perhaps there are a few such souls in syndicated markets where his great show 'Flashback' got on the airwaves. But many more millions are familiar with his voice on those film-rental previews, where he ends with 'And nowwww ..... our FEATURE presentation .... '

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12