• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has a station split screened sports with breaking news?

In the 89 earthquake, ABC was well prepared since they had their crew in SF for the game, and that Ted Koppel was already in place for Nightline. They had more of a advantage than the other 2 networks. Didn't they also pick up parts of KGO's coverage with Cheryl Jennings? i saw her at one point on ABC, but i can't rememebr when.

Yes KGO-TV feed was used nationally on ABC News too with Cheryl Jennings and the 1989 ABC7 Crew. I know KOVR 13 the then ABC Affiliate for Sacramento went local in some segments of the KGO Simulcast to look for members of Cal OES to respond to the quake and probably went local initially with the initial reports of feeling a quake in the Sacramento Valley but not yet pinpointing the epicenter until they got the KGO Simulcast from ABC News.

The Clarance Thomas hearing caused a few split screen moments- ALCS Game 3 and Oilers-Jets. Can't remember if any other sports stuff was impacted.

KDFW did split screen during the end of Premier Boxing Championship on Fox special fight last night as parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth area were dealing with severe thunderstorms as there was Severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time for Dallas, Tarrant, Collin and Denton counties, i.e the core DFW Metroplex area.

KDFW did split screen during the end of Premier Boxing Championship on Fox special fight last night as parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth area were dealing with severe thunderstorms as there was Severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time for Dallas, Tarrant, Collin and Denton counties, i.e the core DFW Metroplex area.

If a tv station like fox did a split screen during a nationally televised big game i dont recall that.

"Perhaps the most famous of all the Beatles" was how Cosell felt he had to preface the news that Lennon had died. Ridiculous, as the Beatles were the first (and to my knowledge only) band in which all the members' names were immediately familiar to the general public. (Not counting bands whose names consisted of their members' names -- Crosby Stills Nash & Young or Emerson Lake & Palmer, for example.) But that was Cosell for you.

I was in my car at the time, listening to the national broadcast of that game (Patriots-Dolphins) and the news was announced there, too. Anyone know who the announcer might have been? I was in Arkansas at the time, so I know I wasn't listening to the Patriots' or Dolphins' local broadcast.

Jack Buck and Hank Stram were on the call for CBS radio.(I've heard the air check at radiotapes.com and WCCO AM)

Although not sports, WOIO Cleveland aired Wheel of Fortune and live storm coverage in a split-screen format a couple months ago.

I was tuned into the backhaul feed of the World Series when it happened. I started moving my second satellite receiver around looking for anything, and i found a feed from KGO at the Bay Bridge. At one point, i could see Al Michaels in the production truck at Candlestick Park, while seeing Leslie Brinkley(she was a KGO reporter) at the site of where the break in the Bay Bridge occurred. i also saw the baseball commissioner announce that the game was postponed. ABC's blimp footage showed how bad it really was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxN6BF7VlWY

Dan Adams who was then KXTV 10 Sacramento talent was one of the people who covered the Loma Prieta quake in 1989, Appeared on NBC Palm Springs to talk about how the Sacramento affiliates had to cover Loma Prieta when Bay Area Outlets were facing a power outage in the quake.

If a tv station like fox did a split screen during a nationally televised big game i dont recall that.

FOX did it yesterday (Sunday) during the Seahawks vs. Ravens game. In a time-out break, they squeezed-back to a two box with a spot in the right screen and various sideline and referee shots in the left. I've seen this before on FOX NFL games. Not positive, but I bet those shorter two-box breaks are probably sold at a different rate than a full screen :30 or :60.

A couple of things about the Lennon announcement on MNF:

Yoko had requested that the hospital not release the information until she had the chance to tell Sean. However, an ABC News producer (unaware of Yoko's request) was being treated in the ER at the same time and called the story back to the newsroom.

It was President of ABC News and Sports Roone Arledge who made the decision to announce it live on MNF that way, feeling it was more important to get the news out instead of waiting for the News Department to prepare something.

And Cosell had to be talked into announcing it. He initially refused, saying it was too big a story for that.

CBS never did break into programming nationally with a report, while NBC did a brief one during that night's Carson rerun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sa8ETV9qY0

KABC-TV Los Angeles went to Breaking News after the Monday Night Football game to cover the John Lennon's death though at the time the clip was released and borrowed clips from WABC-TV to cover the fallout though. Maybe in this time frame the national ABC News was not ready to go on yet and the affiliates were running John Lennon's death as the top story on the local news.

Not to bump this thread, but with the postponements due to the earthquake, the TV guides got messed up, because i seem to remember that "American Gladiators" was listed for 1:30 A.M. in the TV guide for that week on the Saturday of what was supposed to be Game 6 of the Series. AG ended up airing 30 minutes earlier, because there was no game. I bet the postponements drove WLOS(ABC station in Asheville/Greeniville) news people crazy, as that meant the news starting at 11pm, rather than 11:30 as advertised! And i remember Stephen Kings World of Horror airing at 1:30 instead of 1am because of the rescheduled game 4! AG aired on Sunday afternoon that week. i don't event remember if i watched the trophy presentation(may have switched to RollerGames on WSPA/7 Spartanburg after the final out).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom