• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst train wrecks

"Bang Your Head" by Quiet Riot followed by "Summer Nights" by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta.

Also, "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and "Photograph" by Def Leppard, but not together.

98-7 Simon. We play everything.

"Bang Your Head" by Quiet Riot followed by "Summer Nights" by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta.

Also, "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and "Photograph" by Def Leppard, but not together.

98-7 Simon. We play everything.

I do afternoon drive for a 50KW FM small market standalone station where I talked coming out of Gloria Gaynor and talked going into Justin Timberlake one day

Now here's a bad one. Imagine being the person who just discovered this station (actually AC, but it's a train wreck) when it was playing "Hey Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" followed by the Nat and Natalie duet "Unforgettable", then gets confronted by reality with "Black Velvet".

Now here's a bad one. Imagine being the person who just discovered this station (actually AC, but it's a train wreck) when it was playing "Hey Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" followed by the Nat and Natalie duet "Unforgettable", then gets confronted by reality with "Black Velvet".

That's only a trainwreck to your ultrasensitive ears. The vocal delivery on "Black Velvet" is more urgent than those other two songs, but it's a sultry ballad and not beat-driven at all. Have to disagree here, no trainwreck in sight.

That's only a trainwreck to your ultrasensitive ears. The vocal delivery on "Black Velvet" is more urgent than those other two songs, but it's a sultry ballad and not beat-driven at all. Have to disagree here, no trainwreck in sight.
Vocal? The bass player wrote the song, and he stands out more than anyone else.

You have to admit that bass after Nat and Natalie is a train wreck. Not on the scale of going from Quiet Riot to Olivia Newton-John, but that's pretty bizarre.

Vocal? The bass player wrote the song, and he stands out more than anyone else.

You have to admit that bass after Nat and Natalie is a train wreck. Not on the scale of going from Quiet Riot to Olivia Newton-John, but that's pretty bizarre.

We're talking about Alannah Miles' "Black Velvet," right, not some more recent song with the same title? If we are, I just don't see why a bass line, especially on a ballad, is so offensive on a station that plays the B.J. Thomas and Coles songs. But then, my ears aren't your ears.

We're talking about Alannah Miles' "Black Velvet," right, not some more recent song with the same title? If we are, I just don't see why a bass line, especially on a ballad, is so offensive on a station that plays the B.J. Thomas and Coles songs. But then, my ears aren't your ears.
If you heard the station you'd think Thomas and the Coles were what sounded strange. Actually, I found myself wondering why I bothered when it was only my memory of "Black Velvet" that sounded like a train wreck. It actually didn't sound so off the wall.

If you want a train wreck, just look at the following playlist from a 3 hour oldies show I did at the beginning of the month:

1986 - Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
1981 - Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands
1987 - LL Cool J - I Need Love
1979 - Donna Summer - Bad Girls
1988 - Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up [extended cake mix]
1964 - Dionne Warwick - Walk On By
1967 - Bobby Vee - Come Back When You Grow Up
1984 - Sheena Easton - Strut
1984 - Elton John - Sad Songs (Say So Much)
1994 - US3 - Cantaloop
1978 - Patti Smith Group - Because The Night
1986 - Billy Joel - A Matter Of Trust
1981 - John Lennon - Woman
1999 - Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) The Speech Song
1984 - Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
1980 - Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart
1962 - Chris Montez - Let's Dance
1969 - Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)
1984 - Cherrelle - I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
1984 - Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
1976 - Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon
1972 - America - A Horse With No Name
1986 - Hanson & Davis - Hungry For Your Love
1977 - Boston - Long Time
1982 - Pat Benatar - Shadows Of The Night
1984 - Re-Flex - The Politics Of Dancing
2000 - Barenaked Ladies - Pinch Me
1989 - Swing Out Sister - Waiting Game
1968 - Vogues - My Special Angel
1969 - Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)
1966 - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - Devil With A Blue Dress On and Good Golly Miss Molly
1988 - Belinda Carlisle - Circle In The Sand
1994 - The Smashing Pumpkins - Today
1999 - Destiny's Child - Bug A Boo (Refugee Camp Remix)
1973 - New York City - I'm Doin' Fine Now
1983 - Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
1979 - Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight (Single Edit)
1990 - George Michael - Freedom '90
1962 - The Contours - Do You Love Me
1965 - Impressions - People Get Ready
1998 - Stardust - Music Sounds Better

Just call me Gomez, I love a good train wreck and this entire show is.

This might seem crazy but the music is almost selected at random, I choose a random song from each year (approx 1954-2000 as this program is aimed at college students!) and if there isn't enough time other random songs are added never using the same year more than twice, Then the end result is run in a randomization program and this is the end result, scary eh?

If you want a train wreck, just look at the following playlist from a 3 hour oldies show I did at the beginning of the month:

1994 - US3 - Cantaloop
1966 - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - Devil With A Blue Dress On and Good Golly Miss Molly

This might seem crazy but the music is almost selected at random, I choose a random song from each year (approx 1954-2000 as this program is aimed at college students!) and if there isn't enough time other random songs are added never using the same year more than twice, Then the end result is run in a randomization program and this is the end result, scary eh?

Is this actually on radio somewhere? An internet stream? Playing radio with a couple of turntables up in the attic? I can't imagine any audience for this, not with songs from the '90s and '50s in the same playlist.

1994 - US3 - Cantaloop

Were these listener requests or songs that are in the actual daily library?

Sorry, I had mentioned in the original post (which got erased by accident) that this is for a private on-campus-only station (and that's all I can say about that!)

It's a Friday only program followed by either a CPOP, JPOP or KPOP program in a 3 week rotation. The daily program is a current hits format and Thursday is throwbacks.

There actually is an audience that enjoys the show and makes regular requests, and if you think 50's to 90's is bad, the program has had a few songs requested that are much older than that (The Liberty Bell March by John Phillip Sousa and the US Marine Band from 1894 comes to mind)

The all time worst train wreck had to be in Toronto, Canada, where their variety hits Jack FM just decided one day to go rock and keep the Jack FM name anyway.
It failed miserably, (naturally) causing them to change format shortly after. (they went back to being the CHR Kiss fm they were before Jack FM)

I still say if they changed the name of the station it would have worked for them because average rocker was still listening to Toronto's Q107 thinking that Jack plays what they want, and can play hip hop any chance given.

Here's the TV ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtK8hOtEy8Y ("yeah right, sure they rock-what music will they play next week?" lol)

Last edited:

1994 - US3 - Cantaloop

Nothing wrong with this list. You like it, you listen. Dislike it, you change the station. Keep up the good work Kraze!

Thats fine

It's a rare classic hits station, though, that's still playing pure pop like "Heartlight." Many of them are rock leaning. I've always felt that the whole train wreck concept is much more significant among radio professionals than it is among listeners. I've never really minded soft/hard, disco/rock, pop/r&b segues on oldies/classic rock stations, just as long as I like both songs. If I don't like the second song in the segue, then I'm punching another preset no matter how smooth and pleasing the transition may be to programmers who overanalyze characteristics of songs to the point of absurdity.

If I don't like the second song in the segue, then I'm punching another preset no matter how smooth and pleasing the transition may be to programmers who overanalyze characteristics of songs to the point of absurdity.

Man, just enjoy the music. Why people are so distinct and downright to the letter about punching another station when a less-desirable song comes along is to the point of ridiculousness. It's almost like clockwork for you guys. Enjoy the music. Let me guess, if a station's top-of-the-hour legal I.D. is missed by a couple seconds, they'll be bashed too.

Good grief!

Why people are so distinct and downright to the letter about punching another station when a less-desirable song comes along is to the point of ridiculousness.

I don't eat broccoli if served, either. People today have more choices, and they know they don't have to put up with songs they don't like.

This is called "reality". Face it. Accept it.

"When I'm Gone" by 3 Doors Down followed by "I Can See Clearly Now" (don't know the artist without the web site or a DJ telling us, but the station plays so few 70s I doubt it's Johnny Nash).

Jimmy Cliff. Ending song from "Cool Runings".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom