• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has anyone heard 1510 power up yet?

"Renegade Radio", which is sure to wind up in the New England Broadcasting Hall of Fame (/sarcasm--but some like it) has nothing to do with what is now on 1510 AM (WATD simulcast) and nothing to do with what will premiere in a few weeks (oldies, etc.) You will not hear Renegade Radio on WMEX, 1510 on your dial.
For many of us living on the South Coast and metro Providence, the name "Renegade Radio" should ALREADY be in the New England Broadcasting Hall of Fame......for it's notorious long-time association with the infamous 990-WALE, Greenville / Providence, RI.

Come to think of it......Berner & Comapny would have fit right in on the old WALE:D

For many of us living on the South Coast and metro Providence, the name "Renegade Radio" should ALREADY be in the New England Broadcasting Hall of Fame......for it's notorious long-time association with the infamous 990-WALE, Greenville / Providence, RI.

Didn't they do a remote once from a strip club?

Didn't they do a remote once from a strip club?
You have a pretty good memory!

Yes....that was a remote from an establishment known as "The Foxy Lady", which, at the time, did a regular breakfast-time promotion called "Legs & Eggs".

Ahhhhhhh......I remember it well!:D

Yup... I seem to recall there was one stripper^H^H^H^H^H^H^H exotic dancer who could make her breasts jiggle in opposite directions simultaneously.

Back to the C-Quam discussion - 1510 was in stereo as well in the late '90s when it was WNRB. I remember moving to Boston from another state with my Denon TU-680NAB and having several AM stereo options - 740, 1030, 1090 and 1510. I believe at the time 1150 was simulcasting WAAF and in mono.

As for the number of C-Quam receivers being less than double digits in the 1510 contour - I'd disagree since 1) many/most HD radios are able to decode C-Quam although I'll admit usually it doesn't sound as good as a designed for C-Quam tuner since the frequency response and stereo separation tends to not be as good, and, 2) many/most Ford SUV's and pickups in the late '90's and early 2000's came with c-quam tuners and there are still a lot of those vehicles on the road. Granted putting stereo on 1510 in 2018 would be more of a labor of love than a good business decision but some of us would enjoy it. I do enjoy WJIB now that it has been back in stereo for a couple of years. Probably the bigger issue right now is that I can pick up WATD-FM pretty much any where I can get a good 1510 signal so other than the novelty of listening to 1510 I can just flip to 95.9. Maybe that will change once 1510 is on its intended transmitter configuration.

Speaking of WJIB - one of these days I'm going to rig up the car to simultaneously record WJIB-AM and the FM translator for a side by side comparison of the two. The AM will be done from a Ford MACH sound system with AMAX compliant c-quam. The FM will hopefully be from a duplicate tuner pulled out of another vehicle but if that gets too crazy to set up then it will be from a JVC HD radio adapter that receives standard analog FM stereo when no HD is present.

Back to the C-Quam discussion - 1510 was in stereo as well in the late '90s when it was WNRB.

I believe 1510 was the only Boston station with the distinction of having used both mutually incompatible AM stereo systems that were on the market at different times. The Kahn-Hazeltine system as WSSH (AM) in the late '80s, then the Motorola system as WNRB in the mid to late '90s. I don't remember any other Boston area station using the Kahn-Hazeltine system at all.

I remember moving to Boston from another state with my Denon TU-680NAB and having several AM stereo options - 740, 1030, 1090 and 1510. I believe at the time 1150 was simulcasting WAAF and in mono.

1150 was C-Quam AM stereo as easy listening WHUE (AM) from 1982-1985 and as WMEX from 1985-1989, and maybe for a while after. After several other format flips it was back in mono by the WAAF simulcast in 1997.

Some other stations that could be heard in AM stereo in parts of the Boston area (listing daytime groundwave only) at various times included 550 (Pawtucket, RI), 790 (Providence, RI), 830 (Worcester), 1060 (Natick), 1310 (Worcester), 1330 (Waltham), 1360 (Lynn), and 1470 (Marlborough).

Probably the bigger issue right now is that I can pick up WATD-FM pretty much any where I can get a good 1510 signal so other than the novelty of listening to 1510 I can just flip to 95.9. Maybe that will change once 1510 is on its intended transmitter configuration.

Tentatively beginning Sept. 18 with the daytime upgrade to 10,000 watts, WMEX is planned to break away from WATD for its own programming every day following the simulcast "South Shore Morning News" program. You'll still be able to hear WMEX's programming in FM stereo if you're within range of the planned translator on 101.1 in Weymouth.

(listing daytime groundwave only) at various times included 550 (Pawtucket, RI), 790 (Providence, RI), 830 (Worcester), 1060 (Natick), 1310 (Worcester), 1330 (Waltham), 1360 (Lynn), and 1470 (Marlborough).

WLYN was in Stereo (for what good it did) until 2010 ish when the transmitter was replaced.

WAZN 1470 was not in stereo once MRBI got the license and moved it to the Salem Communications tower in Lexington

So all of a sudden, why can't I listen to the station on Tunein Radio? Just got a No Connection message.

Was it working in the past few weeks? TuneIn's site is displaying that Renegade Radio thing, the previous owners. I don't know if the Perry-owned WMEX is streaming on TuneIn or if they were, why it stopped. While they're simulcasting WATD you can hear them via 959watd.com
In a couple weeks they're due to start their own programming, with some shows still simulcasting WATD.

Was it working in the past few weeks? TuneIn's site is displaying that Renegade Radio thing, the previous owners. I don't know if the Perry-owned WMEX is streaming on TuneIn or if they were, why it stopped. While they're simulcasting WATD you can hear them via 959watd.com
In a couple weeks they're due to start their own programming, with some shows still simulcasting WATD.

I don't mean to hijack this thread since the focus is on WMEX/WATD, but re Tune(d)In: I removed them from ALL my mobile toys; no matter which station I used them for, the stream would stop abruptly after a relatively short period of time and I wasn't able to get it back. The only streams that have proven to be reliable, most - not all - of the time, are iHeartRadio and Entercom's Radio.com; in fact, the latter has gotten even better under Entercom than it was under CBS Radio.

I'm talking about 1510.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom