• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has anyone heard 1510 power up yet?

Deleted User

Star Participant
The clock is ticking on the STA for 1510, they have to be on the air no later than Saturday right, if only long enough to do a legal ID and file for another (third?) STA.

Anyone got a radio on and a recording device rolling?

We'll have to try and tune in, though signal will be weaker than before.
On Facebook some familiar names are excited--oh there's gonna be oldies, and Ed's putting on local news and sports.Oh, they have the construction permit for the FM translator, and they're gonna simulcast WATD for awhile, and they will get the 10,000 watt transmitter for when they go full power.

I have yet to hear of the FCC acting on the STA.Maybe they have and I missed it.No doubt they have the transmitter ready to go.

If they don't get the STA approved and fire it up by the end of this week, none of this happens other than maybe showing up on 1460, and they've applied for an extension of that STA. We'll see.

Joe McMillan on facebook:"Should be on anytime now...just have to hook up the 220 Power in Quincy....it will be simulcasting WATD for a couple of weeks with 130 watts of power...Ed said the 10K WATT transmitter is on its way" Joe also said he was recording IDs for WMEX.

The STA was granted June 6.

That STA was for a low power on the WBIX tower, but unless they get powered up, all bets are off as they will have been off the air 365 days. They are hours away from going past the point of no return, if they don't get on the air, the new call sign will be DWMEX

Jimmy Jay says on Facebook "we are doing test broadcasts this weekend" on WMEX (not reaching North Shore but hey it's lower power)

Some of the oldies folks from before have been saying they'd be a part of it--him, maybe Jim Callahan, also Joe McMillan.Awhile back someone told me Jimmy Jay would be doing oldies shows there but "keep it quiet for now".

Jimmy Jay's facebook:
"One year ago tonight we did the last music show on WMEX. Today I'm Happy to say WMEX is coming beck. We will be doing test broadcast this weekend then shutting it down till the week of September 18. I will be the midday WMEX Good Guy on the air from 9 AM - 1PM Everyday. Yea WMEX Good Guys are coming back and I am proud to say I am one again."

Jimmy Jay says on Facebook "we are doing test broadcasts this weekend" on WMEX (not reaching North Shore but hey it's lower power)

It's not on the air at all yet as of now. Maybe Saturday and/or Sunday, and even with just a few hundred watts, a weak signal may reach directly across the water from Milton/Quincy to the coastal North Shore.

Last edited:
Who is the "we" Jimmy is referring to?

How did he get involved?

Jimmy's syndicated one-hour oldies show "Rewind" has been airing Sunday nights at 9 PM on Ed Perry's WATD for years, and he has done other live fill-ins and features there.

I assume "we" is Ed Perry and some WATD/new WMEX staff.

Does the FCC have a history of granting "wiggle room" to licensees who sincerely want to return a station to the air but run into technical difficulties?

(Yeah, I'm following this thread. Guess I'm as geeky as everyone else.)

Does the FCC have a history of granting "wiggle room" to licensees who sincerely want to return a station to the air but run into technical difficulties?

Absolutely. Things like slow delivery by equipment providers, a bad winter or rainy period for tower work, proof that needed permits were requested but delayed by other government departments, even illness of the engineer or the owner can be used to get an extension.

I mentioned in another thread that a CP to move a Miami AM station to a site at the edge of the Everglades required 11 or 12 separate permits from everything from the EPA to the BIA, and it took half a decade to do the move. The FCC, upon receiving documentation, continued to grant extensions.

It had better be at least Saturday in any case if they want to keep the license. Last day on was 6/30/17

STAs and CPs can be renewed for looooooong periods if the FCC is given proof that a "best and diligent effort" has been made to return a station to the air.

STAs and CPs can be renewed for looooooong periods if the FCC is given proof that a "best and diligent effort" has been made to return a station to the air.

David, does the FCC these days accept a licensee's statement that they have been back on the air at some point prior to license expiration - or they need more proof? There are many stories of stations that have not been on the air in several years routinely reporting on-the-air status.

David, does the FCC these days accept a licensee's statement that they have been back on the air at some point prior to license expiration - or they need more proof? There are many stories of stations that have not been on the air in several years routinely reporting on-the-air status.

The burden of proof is on the licensee; however the statement that the station has operated is usually acceptable unless there is a complaint.

An example was a station in the Catskills (IIRC) which lit up one day a year over many, many years to hold the license. The FCC finally either got a complaint or saw comments in a publication or website and examined the situation and said, "enough is enough already" and it appears the license was deleted.

If a station is off due to site moves or the death of a principal or such, then they give certain leeway based on evidence of future plans to light the station up again. This all falls under the Commission's heading of "candor" or honest dealing with the bureau. Lying is worse than being off the air.

The low power test broadcast of 1510 WMEX is now on the air! A VERY weak signal here in Somerville, simulcasting 95.9 FM WATD.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom