• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLUV HD3 is now Classic Trax

tested

Frequent Participant
I just noticed today that Radio Disney is gone from KLUV's HD3 stream.
It has been replaced by something called Classic Trax.
Like the name implies, I've heard album cuts from ELO and County Crows along with Roadhouse Blues by The Doors.

Good to know they're putting something new on there, unlike other markets which are simulcasting the main channel signals of sister stations on their former Radio Disney HD outlets.

Is Classic Trax an in-house format? Google pulls up various bands by that name, along with podcasts and other internet-only material, but no sign of a radio subchannel format. Also, is it a deep-playlist take on classic rock or same old, same old? "Roadhouse Blues," while ancient, is still pretty common on classic rock FMs today even with the emphasis shifting to the '80s and early '90s.

It does appear to be an in-house format, yes. In fact, I noticed today that it is called KLUV's Classic Trax on one of my streaming apps.

I'm not seeing it on Radio.com's app. Maybe Tunein? Would like to listen to it since I don't have an HD radio.

I'm not seeing it on Radio.com's app. Maybe Tunein? Would like to listen to it since I don't have an HD radio.

If it's one station's in-house project, maybe the station doesn't want to deal with the royalties associated with streaming its HD2 programming. We've got a station here in Connecticut, WDRC-FM, that has an in-house, deep oldies HD2 that has never been streamed, while the main classic rock format is.

CTListener, that said, KLUV's HD2 Oldies channel is streaming on the radio.com site. Royalties may not be an issue there.

One thing I just realized is that KLUV will cut its ties to nextradio and be on radio.com, since the station is owned by Entercom.

Entercom is upgrading all of its streams to 128k for the Radio.com app. Some HD2 and 3 stations are streaming, some not. If the goal is to truly compete with IHeart, Pandora, Spotify, it should only be a matter of time before Entercom will have all of its HD 1s, 2s, and 3s streaming.

One thing I just realized is that KLUV will cut its ties to nextradio and be on radio.com, since the station is owned by Entercom.

No. Entercom is pulling its streams off of TuneIn.

NextRadio is an app that uses the FM chip on a phone and fails over to streaming if there's no FM chip (cough cough iPhone). While NextRadio is an Emmis product, Entercom is part of a consortium that paid Sprint to turn on the FM chips on its devices to make the app work. That consortium has an option to buy out Emmis next summer. The NAB is in a big push to advertise NextRadio on member stations right now, so pulling out of that app now would be a big FU to the NAB, which I don't see them wanting to do.

Throwing TuneIn an anvil as it's drowning in debt is good for radio.com. I see no strategic gain in pulling out of NextRadio at the moment.

No. Entercom is pulling its streams off of TuneIn.

NextRadio is an app that uses the FM chip on a phone and fails over to streaming if there's no FM chip (cough cough iPhone). While NextRadio is an Emmis product, Entercom is part of a consortium that paid Sprint to turn on the FM chips on its devices to make the app work. That consortium has an option to buy out Emmis next summer. The NAB is in a big push to advertise NextRadio on member stations right now, so pulling out of that app now would be a big FU to the NAB, which I don't see them wanting to do.

Throwing TuneIn an anvil as it's drowning in debt is good for radio.com. I see no strategic gain in pulling out of NextRadio at the moment.

Since my last post, I learned through Jay Cresswell at KLUV they will use radio.com as the stream provider for KLUV and all their HD subchannels.

Right. Entercom is pulling its streams off of TuneIn and trying to build up the radio.com asset they acquired from CBS.

Nobody is disputing that.

NextRadio is an app that controls the FM chip in Android phones, and Entercom holds a stake in it along with a handful of other station owners. They're leaving that alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom