• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93.3 FLZ

John Waywoods

Frequent Participant
Regarding names: I do not understand why FLZ has not chosen to return to their original name, Power 93. They went to number one with it and, of course, the in your face approach to the competition. What is happening?

Regarding names: I do not understand why FLZ has not chosen to return to their original name, Power 93. They went to number one with it and, of course, the in your face approach to the competition. What is happening?

That was over 20 years ago. Things are so so much different in the radio biz today hello.
Back then no internet competition really. Just a name change would not cut it today.Stations have to be willing to pay for great on-air talent and I don't see that happening anytime soon with media conglomerates merging or wanting to.

There is WYPW Power 90.1 in the market right now.

There is WYPW Power 90.1 in the market right now.

Any legitimate broadcaster knows something is fishy here, full blown commercials and coverage of a C3 I am not buying it. Hopefully the schedules come with a clause "If the FCC comes knocking we will refund your advertising I mean underwriting money"

With PPM nowadays, stations aren't really too concerned about the station name.

The name is just as important today as it is the "reference point" for return listening incidents. Reminding listeners of the name / dial position is less about memorability for the diary and more about identifying the product with the station so that there is clear attribution... and that lets people know where to look for more of the same later or the next day.

And with the increasing usage of traditional radio stations on platforms that don't have a dial or frequency numbers, the name is what listeners will ask Alexa to play or what a stream will be called.

Last edited:

And with the increasing usage of traditional radio stations on platforms that don't have a dial or frequency numbers, the name is what listeners will ask Alexa to play or what a stream will be called.

Exactly as far as what he said about smart devices. I also believe the "name" is also important to online social media channels since broadcasters of certain formats consider the digital and social media just as important (if not more so for say a CHR format) as the actual broadcast signal.

Exactly as far as what he said about smart devices. I also believe the "name" is also important to online social media channels since broadcasters of certain formats consider the digital and social media just as important (if not more so for say a CHR format) as the actual broadcast signal.

Not one average radio listener I have spoken to in the last 5 years can tell me the actual name of their favorite radio station.

Every single one I ever speak to always mentions the frequency and has no idea what the name is.

Any legitimate broadcaster knows something is fishy here, full blown commercials.
Like one on 99.1 in St Pete that will be in for a rude awakening when a new translator in Sarasota lights up and kills them in Bradenton.

It seems, most all stations that have rebranded since the early 90s used the full frequency in their name. Power 93 worked when most radio's used a knob to move a physical stick up and down a dial that didn't have all the numbers printed on it. Now every radio displays the specific frequency: 93.3. Since the early 90s, almost every station that has rebranded has used the specific frequency in the name. The only ones that don't are the ones that never changed their name in 30+ years: 98 Rock. Since they have been 93-3 FLZ for over 20 years, that's the brand name now burned into everyone's brain. No reason to change it absent a complete format change. I will agree with Jimmydean, that most people just mention the frequency, and don't pay attention to the name: "I heard it on 93-3."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom