why would anyone listen to FM T-radio in Philly for music - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: why would anyone listen to FM T-radio in Philly for music

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    No, I'm not.

70% are popular tunes, or 1400. The others are reserved for weekends, specials and the like. You get to play far more titles, if you play less of the same ones everyday. No need to spin "Don't Stop Believin'" 5 times in 24 hours anymore.
    I have had the very, very good fortune of competing with stations with similarly absurd playlists on a number of occasions, including in markets like San Francisco, Fresno, Dallas and the like in the US and ones like Buenos Aires, San Juan and Santo Domingo in Latin America.

The results have always been enormous victories for the tight, well researched list and in every case the competing station left the format.

Only once did I try to approach the "more variety" mirage by playing "more songs". I was badly defeated, and learned how little I could know about what listeners wanted unless I actually asked them for their input. Fortunately, I was the manager at the station and was not fired... but I had a major epiphany about what people say and what they mean..

Oh, and if you spin "Don't stop..." five times a day, the average listener will hear it once about every 10 days.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    No need to spin "Don't Stop Believin'" 5 times in 24 hours anymore.
    Unless it makes you #1.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567