Power 106 transmitter move in 1993 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power 106 transmitter move in 1993

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    Why is Flint Peak better than the much higher Mt. Lukens? I know the area around Lukens was burned in the Station Fire as well, so perhaps that location is not suitably far enough away?
    That location is in the same mountain range that had the Station Fire, and is considered to have equal risk as Wilson.

Lukens is even farther north, and has significant shadowing from the Verdugos and the Hollywood Hills in parts of the basin. It is also blocked to some extent into the San Gabriel Valley by the other parts of the same range such as Wilson and Harvard. And it is much farther from the OC areas that are also in the LA MSA.

Flint has nearly 2,000' AMSL and is capable of putting a very adequate signal over the MSA in an emergency situation. And it is much more accessible.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Here's what someone told me: Because KPWR was grandfathered "superpower" from Flint Peak, FCC permitted them to move to Mount Wilson with a directional antenna producing a 60 dBu contour that is contained within the 60 dBu contour of the superpower Flint Peak facility.

I could run a study to see if the 60 dBu part of this is correct and research the rest, I suppose. But however it happened, good for KPWR and the other Mount Wilson stations that got licensed with those splendid facilities.

David as you know KPCC is the only Class B on Mount Wilson compliant with today's FCC rules with respect to ERP. Even the lower powered Class B stations on Mount Wilson are superpower, exceeding Class B maximum power at their HAAT. And each of those stations has a story about how it got there.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Strickland View Post
    And each of those stations has a story about how it got there.
    Hello Greg! And, indeed, there are stories on each of them. While a few were up there before the Class B rules were implemented, most managed to make a convincing story about how dropping power would result in a loss of service to a market that was geographically one of the largest in the nation.

Of course, when I saw your name on a post about "Power" I immediately thought Power 96, not Power 106!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Sometime back, the FCC changed the rules for grandfathered stations, allowing them to move and keep their grandfathered status. Before that, a move to say, Wilson would've forced them to lose their grandfathered status and drop to a few hundred watts, so presumably, no one did it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12