• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom to end its Broadcast contract with Tunein for Radio.com

I wonder if there is enough value there for Entercom to consider buying TuneIn (at a bargain basement price) and not the $500 million dollars sticker price.

There's nothing there to buy. Radio.com has the same platform, and Entercom owns it.

I don't think Tunein is going anywhere. They still have hundreds of independent, mid-sized radio groups (Hubbard, Saga, Bonneville, etc...) College and Public stations, and the international stations as well. As a side note, a lot of Triton Digital streams went active this week, all 128k, and all belonging to Entercom!

I tend to think TuneIn will still be fine after Entercom leaves as it still has most stations and operators. Beasley, Alpha, Cox, Emmis, Bonneville and many others are still on the platform, though some of them are also on iHeartRadio and their own apps.

I do, however, notice TuneIn's lack of attention to local broadcasters, and it does make me less sure of its future. As recently as two years ago, I could submit a station's streaming link, and I'd usually get a response back that it would be on the platform in 48 hours. User submissions were discontinued at the end of '16. Broadcaster submissions have become much less responsive, too, from what I've heard. I recently talked to a friend at Alpha, and he implied some of the reason Alpha added its stations to iHeart (though they’re still on TuneIn) was because TuneIn was becoming too cumbersome to deal with.

I tend to think TuneIn will still be fine after Entercom leaves as it still has most stations and operators. Beasley, Alpha, Cox, Emmis, Bonneville and many others are still on the platform, though some of them are also on iHeartRadio and their own apps.

I do, however, notice TuneIn's lack of attention to local broadcasters, and it does make me less sure of its future. As recently as two years ago, I could submit a station's streaming link, and I'd usually get a response back that it would be on the platform in 48 hours. User submissions were discontinued at the end of '16. Broadcaster submissions have become much less responsive, too, from what I've heard. I recently talked to a friend at Alpha, and he implied some of the reason Alpha added its stations to iHeart (though they’re still on TuneIn) was because TuneIn was becoming too cumbersome to deal with.

Online Radio Box. I believe they will be the next TuneIn Radio. I can stream Townsquare stations that TuneIn cant. Unfortunately Entercom and iHeart are unable to. There is another app out that can stream every station including iHeart stations, but it's only available for iPhone users

Online Radio Box. I believe they will be the next TuneIn Radio. I can stream Townsquare stations that TuneIn cant. Unfortunately Entercom and iHeart are unable to. There is another app out that can stream every station including iHeart stations, but it's only available for iPhone users

What app is that?

Tunein is no longer adding any more stations.

R

None whatsoever, regardless of who operates it.

R

Could TuneIn be thinking of getting out of AM/FM radio entirely and focusing on other content? Maybe the writing is on the wall, with broadcast groups looking to eliminate the middle man and group all their properties (and none of the competition's) into one handy, branded app, with an eye toward building a paywall later on.

Could TuneIn be thinking of getting out of AM/FM radio entirely and focusing on other content?

As I said in another thread, TuneIn has launched their own hosted radio stations and specialty radio shows. They even do some live broadcasts. The main thing they're pushing is the subscription premium service. The paywall, as you put it, is there now.

As I said in another thread, TuneIn has launched their own hosted radio stations and specialty radio shows. They even do some live broadcasts. The main thing they're pushing is the subscription premium service. The paywall, as you put it, is there now.

I was referring to the big broadcast groups potentially charging for access for their terrestrial stations' content. I realize that TuneIn already charges for some of its.

I was referring to the big broadcast groups potentially charging for access for their terrestrial stations' content.

What I keep hearing is that they might do that for exclusive content, but not streaming their station content. On the other hand, I've seen a few small local stations ask for subscriptions to support their online stream.

Apparently this only affects TuneIn. I'm listening to WBBM on my Grace Digital internet radio, which uses Receiva, as I write this.

Apparently this only affects TuneIn. I'm listening to WBBM on my Grace Digital internet radio, which uses Receiva, as I write this.

As per OP: Legacy CBS stations like WBBM will be exclusive to Radio.com starting August 1st.

As per OP: Legacy CBS stations like WBBM will be exclusive to Radio.com starting August 1st.

Not exactly. Grace Digital/Receiva still works with WBBM and KYW (I don't have any other Entercom stations saved).

Not exactly. Grace Digital/Receiva still works with WBBM and KYW (I don't have any other Entercom stations saved).

Those radios use Chromecast that (from what I can see) has the radio.com app installed.

I really should buy one of those...they look better than Alexa.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom