Old KRKO Studios for Sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old KRKO Studios for Sale

Good grief no... KRKO's was just a "feel good" hole in the ground. The equipment, at least when I saw it, was a portable broadcast table that was so old, even the owners at the time couldn't have believed it had life left to give. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say they had to have something in there to prove to the Civil Defense people that it could actually be used.

Only saw the KXLE building from the inside once, back in the '70s. Recall it as being sturdy then, though maybe a little exposed. People might have survived a small blast, but I don't know about the tower.

Probably the most interesting shelter I've seen was the one at KSYC, Yreka, CA. The shelter had 3 or 4 large rooms and the studios, transmitter and automation systems were all in there. It was the working part of the radio station. I did some repair work for them, back in the mid-'70s. Don't recall it as a particularly pleasant place to work in... stuffy... being the walls were thick and the whole place was concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounded Grid View Post
    Only saw the KXLE building from the inside once, back in the '70s. Recall it as being sturdy then, though maybe a little exposed. People might have survived a small blast, but I don't know about the tower.

Just saw that bldg. last Friday and was amused that the front door was propped wide open! Homeland Security bulletins clearly haven't reached Ellensburg recently!

As someone who was born in the Burg, trust me when I say that not much of anything reaches Ellensburg "recently." Even WW3 (or is it WW4 by now, I lose track...) would show up 3 weeks late in the Kittyscratch Valley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12