• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

70's-style AM radio - anywhere locally?

From what I've read, the Radio Disney HD experiment, as you call it, ended in April. The main upside I see for MeTV in Milwaukee is cross-promotion of the TV station. So looping it back to Phoenix, if there is such an affiliate in Phoenix, it might make sense for Entercom & Envision to make a similar deal.

I think Weigel asked Entercom because iHeart is known for doing their own thing. Sure, Entercom could bring it to Phoenix to replace the KOOL-HD2 ‘70s format which dates back to CBS and Steve Goddard’s involvement at KOOL. Weigel said they would promote the station on the MeTV station in each market whether they own it or not. I find it strange that they’re still running CBS Sports Radio on 101.5 HD2 when they have a Phoenix affiliate. I guess it’s to clear the whole schedule to make it look better to agencies.

Weigel said they would promote the station on the MeTV station in each market whether they own it or not.

BTW, the agreement is to CROSS-promote, so that means each station gets something from it, since there's no money to be made from an unrated radio station.

Weigel doesn't own a TV station in Phoenix, so that's out. Is there a MeTV affiliate in Phoenix?

See WMYX-HD2, Milwaukee. See the whole Radio Disney HD experiment. The only problem with that is that RD paid to be on those subchannels and there were several other options to receive RD. I’m not even counting the iHeart jukebox formats on their HD2s.

Now, I’ll get a numerically-backed counterpoint from the “Old Gringo,” but we are over-radioed in terms of younger-skewing formats. If this worked on a “Franken FM” in Chicago, why wouldn’t it work on a 40,000 watt rimshot in Phoenix (and I’m not even talking about HD)? You won’t be the highest billing station in town, but you probably be billing enough to be comfortable. Is being the second hip hop station good enough? We don’t have any small in-market class A’s, so we might just be out of luck with standard analog broadcasting.

While the format might be suitable for a rimshot, there is a big difference between the FrankenFM in Chicago (good power and height) and such a deficient facility in PHX.

KKFR and KMVA appear to be the highest billers of the rimshots... around 15th 18th in market revenue. The rest of those rimshots are well below 20th. If a station can make money on partial coverage and an audience segment that won't get much agency business, it might work.

WFAT, KFXM, WMID, WPON, WKCE, they all stream, there are many out there if you take time to look.

I thought WPON had been off the air for some time. It's listed on the FCC's silent list.

They have been broadcasting on WCXI 1160 AM in Fenton, until the new site is ready from what they say on the air, but I listen on line so I don't know whats actually on 1160..

99.1 KBUU-LP in Malibu, streaming at www.radiomalibu.net , plays early 70s quality rock Tuesdays-Fridays 6 to 7 p.m. LA time, plus 12 hours of 60s/70s rock 6p Saturdays to 6a Sundays. It's part of the "we paid for the station and we don't care what the haters have to say" format. And it works, our market research shows we have a 4 rating in our little bitty LA-adjacent market.

I wish there could be a 70's-style AM radio (or FM, but AM would be better) that played nothing but Gerry Rafferty, Air Supply, Dan Fogelberg, Pablo Cruise, Donny & Marie, maybe some ABBA. Maybe that "Brown Eyed Girl" song, too. Like what 94.5 used to be in the 80's -- I wish they could have just kept their now-old songs in rotation.
You're in luck! KDRI from Tucson (830 kHz) is easily receivable throughout the Valley during the day, and they stream as well. Locally owned and operated with live DJs - no automation or satellite feed here :)

Nearly a three year old thread...does @indieradioguy still want this station? In this market?

Responding to the thread title: The 70s format never quite caught on. Locally, when we had a 70s station, another station switched to Rock Hits of the 60s, 70s and 80s(called, Classic Hits)and the 70s station quickly added 80s, then 90s and then dropping 70s and becoming Hot AC. Regular Oldies was still at full strength and there was no more room. I suspect that this was the same situation elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing 50+ year old music being viable on its own.

Nearly a three year old thread...does @indieradioguy still want this station? In this market?

Yes. And I've found it...albeit in 92.7 FM. No alt-"mold" (a la 93.3) anywhere in sight. It seems like all the best stations are left of the dial (except, of course, for the alt-"moldies" on 93.3 - they apparently still play "Creep" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in regular rotation.) 92.7 is the best commercial/non-LP music station in town - no 80's and absolutely positively no 90's crap. That's who should be running 94.5

OK, KAZG has a 1 share, and KOOL 94.5 has a 4 share. Obviously the people of Phoenix don't agree with you.
And in 25-54, KAZG is 34th with a 0.3 share while KOOL is 7th with a 4.1 share... that is almost 14 times better for KOOL-FM.

OK, KAZG has a 1 share, and KOOL 94.5 has a 4 share. Obviously the people of Phoenix don't agree with you.
I'm guessing there are a ton more people in the younger decades of life than in the older ones who still cherish the greatest music of all time. There was a time when I actually turned down relocations because of KOOL's playlist and on-air talent. That disappeared years ago when they dumped 60's, 70's and early 80's music from their playlist and fired their talent.

Yes. And I've found it...albeit in 92.7 FM. No alt-"mold" (a la 93.3) anywhere in sight. It seems like all the best stations are left of the dial (except, of course, for the alt-"moldies" on 93.3 - they apparently still play "Creep" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in regular rotation.) 92.7 is the best commercial/non-LP music station in town - no 80's and absolutely positively no 90's crap. That's who should be running 94.5
There is no doubt that Oldies 92.7 is a top notch oldies station. One of my favorites as well.

With regards to the ratings, it’s difficult to compare a translator on 92.7 FM to one of the most powerful stations in the valley from South Mountain in KOOL 94.5. I can’t even pick-up Oldies 92.7 inside my home in Gilbert. Comparing Oldies 92.7 to KOOL 94.5 is like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
I'm guessing there are a ton more people in the younger decades of life than in the older ones who still cherish the greatest music of all time.
(Emphasis mine)

That is where this argument fails. 60's and 70's music is great to those who lived the era when those songs were "currents". It is far less relevant to someone born in the 70's who grew up on 80's and 90's songs. Or someone born in the 90's who grew up on 00's and 10's songs.

Each generation has their music. And many, born further in the past, also accept and enjoy the music of subsequent decades and eras. But, to most of us, the music of prior generations is not appealing (unless you look at timeless music like classical and some jazz); it was "our parent's music".

I grew up on Buddy Holly and the Four Seasons. There are some songs from that era I still like to hear... but most are tiring and, just, old. I loved a lot of the 70's, including the Bee Gees and even Manilow. I don't want to hear "Born to be Alive" or "YMCA" any more. 80's the same... lots of great songs from Michael, Police, Madonna, Dire Straits, REO Speedwagon. Some are still very listenable.

Even the 90's with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dr Dre, U2 and even some of the Euro Dance like Castles in the Sky. I can re-listen occasionally. I can say the same for the last 20 years, too, although most of my taste changed to country, reggaetón and vallenato in that period.

But my point is that each decade and every year seems to have plenty of songs that are just as good as a year ago and a decade ago and two decades ago and...

It's a lot more fun not to be stuck in an era. That means ever time I hear the radio playing a current based station (or ask Alexa to spin some songs), I can be surprised with something new to add to my repertoire.

Last edited:
It's a lot more fun not to be stuck in an era. That means ever time I hear the radio playing a current based station (or ask Alexa to spin some songs), I can be surprised with something new to add to my repertoire.
This. Given my age, I'm musically stuck in the 80s, so KOOL's current approach appeals to me, but I didn't stop listening to new music and declared that everything else sucks as I grew older.

I can't tell you what makes one song endure over another as time passes, but I can tell you that it has nothing to do with where it peaked on the chart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom