70's-style AM radio - anywhere locally? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 70's-style AM radio - anywhere locally?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    From what I've read, the Radio Disney HD experiment, as you call it, ended in April. The main upside I see for MeTV in Milwaukee is cross-promotion of the TV station. So looping it back to Phoenix, if there is such an affiliate in Phoenix, it might make sense for Entercom & Envision to make a similar deal.
    I think Weigel asked Entercom because iHeart is known for doing their own thing. Sure, Entercom could bring it to Phoenix to replace the KOOL-HD2 ‘70s format which dates back to CBS and Steve Goddard’s involvement at KOOL. Weigel said they would promote the station on the MeTV station in each market whether they own it or not. I find it strange that they’re still running CBS Sports Radio on 101.5 HD2 when they have a Phoenix affiliate. I guess it’s to clear the whole schedule to make it look better to agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    Weigel said they would promote the station on the MeTV station in each market whether they own it or not.
    BTW, the agreement is to CROSS-promote, so that means each station gets something from it, since there's no money to be made from an unrated radio station.

Weigel doesn't own a TV station in Phoenix, so that's out. Is there a MeTV affiliate in Phoenix?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    See WMYX-HD2, Milwaukee. See the whole Radio Disney HD experiment. The only problem with that is that RD paid to be on those subchannels and there were several other options to receive RD. I’m not even counting the iHeart jukebox formats on their HD2s.

Now, I’ll get a numerically-backed counterpoint from the “Old Gringo,” but we are over-radioed in terms of younger-skewing formats. If this worked on a “Franken FM” in Chicago, why wouldn’t it work on a 40,000 watt rimshot in Phoenix (and I’m not even talking about HD)? You won’t be the highest billing station in town, but you probably be billing enough to be comfortable. Is being the second hip hop station good enough? We don’t have any small in-market class A’s, so we might just be out of luck with standard analog broadcasting.
    While the format might be suitable for a rimshot, there is a big difference between the FrankenFM in Chicago (good power and height) and such a deficient facility in PHX.

KKFR and KMVA appear to be the highest billers of the rimshots... around 15th 18th in market revenue. The rest of those rimshots are well below 20th. If a station can make money on partial coverage and an audience segment that won't get much agency business, it might work.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    ...Is there a MeTV affiliate in Phoenix?
    KAZT 7.2 Prescott/Phoenix.
    Save AM radio...kill I-CRAP.

WFAT, KFXM, WMID, WPON, WKCE, they all stream, there are many out there if you take time to look.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    WFAT, KFXM, WMID, WPON, WKCE, they all stream, there are many out there if you take time to look.
    I thought WPON had been off the air for some time. It's listed on the FCC's silent list.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

They have been broadcasting on WCXI 1160 AM in Fenton, until the new site is ready from what they say on the air, but I listen on line so I don't know whats actually on 1160..

99.1 KBUU-LP in Malibu, streaming at www.radiomalibu.net , plays early 70s quality rock Tuesdays-Fridays 6 to 7 p.m. LA time, plus 12 hours of 60s/70s rock 6p Saturdays to 6a Sundays. It's part of the "we paid for the station and we don't care what the haters have to say" format. And it works, our market research shows we have a 4 rating in our little bitty LA-adjacent market.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123