70's-style AM radio - anywhere locally? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70's-style AM radio - anywhere locally?

Why AM? I doubt anyone would listen. Music sounds terrible.
    In my vehicles, for music I usually have it set to 92.7 FM. I prefer to hear 60s & 70s songs, I'm not a fan of current pop. And to me 94.5 plays the same 80s & 90s stuff over & over...with too many commercials.
    I wish 92.7 would play a little more variety. But to give them credit, every once in a while they toss in a few that aren't over-played, which is nice. I know quite a few old farts like myself (over 45) that listen to 92.7. It's too bad their signal isn't stronger.
    Think about it, most people under 30 don't listen to terrestrial radio for music these days.

Why not create stations aimed at the over 40 listeners?

Quote Originally Posted by Billkex View Post
    Why not create stations aimed at the over 40 listeners?
    You think that KOOL and KSLX aren't aimed at people over 40? They are, which is why they are centered in the 80s.

If you're 45, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, and Guns & Roses are bands you listened to in high school and college.

Now, if you're asking why they don't create stations aimed at people over 60, the answer is there's more money to be made targeting people over 40 than over 60.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    You think that KOOL and KSLX aren't aimed at people over 40? They are, which is why they are centered in the 80s.

If you're 45, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, and Guns & Roses are bands you listened to in high school and college.

Now, if you're asking why they don't create stations aimed at people over 60, the answer is there's more money to be made targeting people over 40 than over 60.
    I guess I prefer hearing older stuff...and a variety. I listened to all that (GNR, Bon Jovi, etc.) growing up & to tune into a station that plays the same 50 songs over & over, doesn't do it for me. I know plenty of other folks in their 40s & 50s that feel the same way. BTW: I heard Steve Goddard on 92.7 today...NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by indieradioguy View Post
    I wish there could be a 70's-style AM radio (or FM, but AM would be better) that played nothing but Gerry Rafferty, Air Supply, Dan Fogelberg, Pablo Cruise, Donny & Marie, maybe some ABBA. Maybe that "Brown Eyed Girl" song, too. Like what 94.5 used to be in the 80's -- I wish they could have just kept their now-old songs in rotation.
    Not on AM, but 103.1 KCDX.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    I think the last time you had a station like that was KTWC, unless KCCF came and went after Twice the Train Wrecks gave way to Cool Jazz at 103.5.

The recurring theme to stations that emulate the old school KOY or KARZ MOR approach today is they didn't do very well and changed to something else. Even KOAZ quickly ditched the yacht rock when it didn't gain any traction a few years back.
    The Oasis did not have patience. They launched the format, only to tinker with the playlist every two months. Did I see any commercials for them on TV? I saw billboards, but few and far between.

Now with KOY gone, I can see an HD2 filling a niche for a softer gold format like the syndicated MeTV format. That’s if you get the people who have those later-model Buicks and Cadillacs with HD in Sun City to work the controls in order to receive the station. MeTV is experimenting with this in Milwaukee (with a promotion blitz on TV). I can see this work in Arizona, where the MeTV station outranks several other primary TV stations (which would be good for promotion). I don’t see Hubbard doing it though, because that would cannibalize KAZG.
    The views expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    <...>Now with KOY gone, I can see an HD2 filling a niche for a softer gold format like the syndicated MeTV format. <...> MeTV is experimenting with this in Milwaukee (with a promotion blitz on TV).
    Explain...or, better yet, a link to read about this would be effective.

Autos in the desert can last a really long time. That's why the '84 Olds is still in the driveway at MeMaw's place.

Quote Originally Posted by kwthom View Post
    Explain...or, better yet, a link to read about this would be effective.

Autos in the desert can last a really long time. That's why the '84 Olds is still in the driveway at MeMaw's place.
    But for every ‘84 Olds in their driveway, there’s an couple driving a 2018 Buick with premium audio. Sure, it would be better to have a translator for that HD2. Sierra H. could have controlled their destiny if they hadn’t sold 92.7 to Hubbard, but hindsight is 20/20. What does an operator have to risk other than the equipment/licensing costs for activating an HD2 with the syndicated format? At the least, with a little consumer education, it would drive some interest in receivers.

What does an operator have to risk other than the equipment/licensing costs for activating an HD2 with the syndicated format?
    The real question that will get asked is: What does an operator have to GAIN? The answer is: Not much.

I'm not aware of syndicators that will allow their music formats to be used for HD channels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The real question that will get asked is: What does an operator have to GAIN? The answer is: Not much.

I'm not aware of syndicators that will allow their music formats to be used for HD channels.
    See WMYX-HD2, Milwaukee. See the whole Radio Disney HD experiment. The only problem with that is that RD paid to be on those subchannels and there were several other options to receive RD. I’m not even counting the iHeart jukebox formats on their HD2s.

Now, I’ll get a numerically-backed counterpoint from the “Old Gringo,” but we are over-radioed in terms of younger-skewing formats. If this worked on a “Franken FM” in Chicago, why wouldn’t it work on a 40,000 watt rimshot in Phoenix (and I’m not even talking about HD)? You won’t be the highest billing station in town, but you probably be billing enough to be comfortable. Is being the second hip hop station good enough? We don’t have any small in-market class A’s, so we might just be out of luck with standard analog broadcasting.

See WMYX-HD2, Milwaukee. See the whole Radio Disney HD experiment. The only problem with that is that RD paid to be on those subchannels and there were several other options to receive RD.
    From what I've read, the Radio Disney HD experiment, as you call it, ended in April. The main upside I see for MeTV in Milwaukee is cross-promotion of the TV station. So looping it back to Phoenix, if there is such an affiliate in Phoenix, it might make sense for Entercom & Envision to make a similar deal.

But let's not think you can compare the audience for a Franken FM with an HD-2. Very different situations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast