• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC proposes Major kids TV changes

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fcc-proposes-major-kids-tv-rule-changes

This discussion was bound to happen though also on Commercial TV the shows that meet the E/I standards currently are coming from Litton productions the syndicated arm of Hearst Television as of 2018.

. The NPRM would:

"Tentatively conclude that the requirements that Core Programming be at least 30 minutes in length and regularly scheduled weekly programming be eliminated.
"Seek comment on whether to expand the timeframe when Core Programming can be aired.
"Tentatively conclude that noncommercial stations should no longer be required to identify Core Programming with the “E/I” symbol, and seek comment on whether to continue to require commercial stations to identify Core Programming with the “E/I” symbol.
"Seek comment on whether to retain the requirement that broadcasters provide information identifying children’s programming to publishers of program guides.
"Tentatively conclude that the Children’s Television Programming Report, FCC Form 398, should be filed on an annual rather than quarterly basis and seek comment on ways to streamline this report
"Seek comment on whether to modify the three-hour per week safe harbor processing guideline for determining compliance with the children’s programming rules.
"Seek comment on the creation of a framework under which broadcasters could satisfy their children’s programming obligations by relying in part on special sponsorship efforts and/or special non-broadcast efforts, and propose to allow Media Bureau staff, rather than the full Commission, to approve the renewal applications of licensees relying on such special efforts.
"Propose to allow multicasting stations to choose on which of their free over-the-air streams to air their required Core Programming hours and tentatively conclude that the additional Core Programming guideline applicable to multicasting stations should be eliminated.
"Seek comment on whether the policies governing the preemption of children’s programming should be revised or whether other rule changes proposed in the Notice would provide broadcasters sufficient flexibility to schedule their Core Programming so as to avoid the need for preemptions."
Signaling the proposed kids TV dereg might leave a void that noncommercial TV could fill, America’s Public Television Stations president Patrick Butler said following the NPRM's release: “America’s public television stations stand ready to work with all interested parties to ensure that the educational and informational needs of America’s young people are fully met with all the scholastic, technological and policy tools we can devise and devote to our most fundamental mission.

“Public television provides the only free, over-the-air national television service for children -- offering more than 20 shows that support kids’ learning -- and now reaches more than 95 percent of U.S. television households all day every day, reaching the 54 percent of America’s children who don’t receive any formal preschool education," he said, adding that it could do even more with "more financial resources, whether from governments, foundations, corporations, individuals, or fellow broadcasters..."

Hoping that means the return of Saturday morning cartoons since Litton & Hearst own way too much with the Nature shows & E/I shows that no one watches.

Hoping that means the return of Saturday morning cartoons since Litton & Hearst own way too much with the Nature shows & E/I shows that no one watches.

I loved nature and science shows as a kid, as well as cartoons. What makes you think nobody's watching them today, especially given the sorry state of modern animation, which seems hell-bent on mimicking the cretinous anime style. No Jay Wards or Fritz Frelengs to be found today, I'm afraid. Heck, nothing even as witty and sly as Spielberg's "Pinky and the Brain." If I were a parent, I'd much rather my kid be watching real-life rhinos and elephants than some animated, politically-correct do-gooder cats or whatever, mouthing lines totally lacking in intelligence or wit.

Why stuff that was laughable in the '70s when packaged as "Kimba" and "Speed Racer" is considered great art to me is unfathomable, and if E/I is keeping it off Saturday morning TV, well, more power to E/I!

So if Litton takes them off, 99% chance there will be infomercials or more news on Saturday mornings instead. Oh joy. Maybe in my dreams, the networks can bring back some cartoons at least, even if they come from another network originally. I do enjoy some of the Weekend Adventure shows on ABC, especially Rock the Park and Sea Rescue - well produced IMO.

As long as Disney, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have the lion’s share of the 2-11 audience (as well as peripheral demographics), cartoons on OTA television will remain a thing of the past.

As long as Disney, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have the lion’s share of the 2-11 audience (as well as peripheral demographics), cartoons on OTA television will remain a thing of the past.

Absolutely. There is zero, zero chance of a return to decades past on commercial broadcast regarding cartoons. The audience is being served elsewhere.

Absolutely. There is zero, zero chance of a return to decades past on commercial broadcast regarding cartoons. The audience is being served elsewhere.

And by the way, one of the things that pushed kids TV to cable were the crazy regulations on broadcast TV.

So as the report says, public TV is the only broadcast service for kids. Which is partly why Congress continues to support it.

Not only that, but the companies that own the rights to the cartoons -- Disney, Time-Warner (Warner Bros., MGM, Hanna-Barbera, Fleischer/Paramount), Jay Ward Productions (yes, they're still around), and the others -- are probably more interested in DVD sales than low-rated broadcasts that wold attract more grandparents than their grandkids. Most, if not all of the classic cartoons from the 1960s and earlier are available for purchase, and many of them have been since the VHS era.

Not only that, but the companies that own the rights to the cartoons -- Disney, Time-Warner (Warner Bros., MGM, Hanna-Barbera, Fleischer/Paramount), Jay Ward Productions (yes, they're still around), and the others -- are probably more interested in DVD sales

I hate to break this to you, but DVD sales are in worse shape than CD sales. Those companies aren't counting on DVD sales for anything.

Pre-teen kids stream their cartoons on their parent's phones, iPads, and other devices.

Those companies own their own ad-supported platforms, and they get revenue that way, as well as streaming royalties.

If E/I is eliminated one of 2 things will happen. If the time stays with the networks they will expand their morning news shows and/or sports. If it goes back to the local stations they will fill it with local news at best or trash talk and infomercials at the worst. I'd prefer expanded sports. But it's highly unlikely that Saturday morning cartoons will make a comeback in any form.

Last edited:

I know I am not the intended audience but I watch several hours of the Saturday morning Litton shows every week. Like the old Mutual of Omaha nature programming I really enjoy them (and have learned a lot in the process). The only thing that amazes me are the commercials; mostly prescription drugs.

Can they not just create a 24/7 broadcast channels for all of this kids content?

Not gonna happen even PBS has a contract with a streaming stick designer to sell streaming sticks or in some areas this streaming stick that PBS has may be mentioned during local pledge drives on the local affiliates. Even PBS and their affiliates know where the audiences for kids programming are going to and its to devices like Roku, Apple TV, Amazon TV and others. My nieces and nephews who are the target demos for kids programming are getting this over TV Apps though. I don't think children's programming will return to OTA TV where the trends are going.

https://www.amazon.com/PBS-Plug-Play-Streaming-Stick/dp/B0719CQH3B

Almost every Saturday on Weekend Adventure I see the Mayhem Allstate commercial where he imitates a lost phone - BZZT! BZZT! Drives me nuts...at least 4-5 times during the shows I watch. This morning it was another Mayhem, the one with 'Going to the Chapel'. Not to mention prescription drugs and reverse mortgages with Tom Selleck.

Almost every Saturday on Weekend Adventure I see the Mayhem Allstate commercial where he imitates a lost phone - BZZT! BZZT! Drives me nuts...at least 4-5 times during the shows I watch. This morning it was another Mayhem, the one with 'Going to the Chapel'. Not to mention prescription drugs and reverse mortgages with Tom Selleck.

Doesn't sound much different on the Litton shows than the types of ads you'd still see if CBS/Freemantle decided to start a kids' version of "The Price is Right."

And no more Henry Winkler on the reverse mortgage ads?

"Propose to allow multicasting stations to choose on which of their free over-the-air streams to air their required Core Programming hours and tentatively conclude that the additional Core Programming guideline applicable to multicasting stations should be eliminated.
--------------------

If the Core Programming guideline is eliminated for subchannels, I wonder if that will mean a possible return of 24/7/365 all-weather formats on some stations' subs. Especially in those Comcast-dominated markets who lost Weatherscan in the last year or so, and with "The Weather Channel" having little to no interest in broadcasting weather anymore.

Even though you can still get the same info on the internet--but sometimes internet may not be too convenient during severe weather.

Looks like it might be an end for any chance of Saturday Mirning Cartoon's returning on the big five, not that there really was a chance. However, let's see how this affects the only non PBS OTA cartoon service: KidsClick. Probably won't do anything really, but it would be interesting.

--------------------

If the Core Programming guideline is eliminated for subchannels, I wonder if that will mean a possible return of 24/7/365 all-weather formats on some stations' subs. Especially in those Comcast-dominated markets who lost Weatherscan in the last year or so, and with "The Weather Channel" having little to no interest in broadcasting weather anymore.

Even though you can still get the same info on the internet--but sometimes internet may not be too convenient during severe weather.

I don't see the locals using a sub-channel for weather I think WOTV .4 is weather radar with weather radio audio use to be on cable but took that out when Grit & GetTV pushed it to .4. WZZM has OnTarget Weather now that is only OTA as they wanted Quest on the cable channels which I don't get why WZZM just put another network on the .2 which I never understood why they didn't move OnTarget Weather to .4.

I would hope that perhaps something like Kids Click could be made into a full time subchannel. But then how many stations would carry it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom