Why no Triple-A radio in Seattle? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why no Triple-A radio in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    The lines between AAA and alternative seem to be blurring these days. Vance Joy, Rag 'N' Bone Man and Nathanial Rateliffe & The Night Sweats do not sound like Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World or Muse.
    The more they become like folk and less like rock (such as Nathanial Rateliffe), the less likely they'll be heard on commercial radio.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The more they become like folk and less like rock (such as Nathanial Rateliffe), the less likely they'll be heard on commercial radio.
    In my observations of the charts, any mini folk music boom on the charts is a warning to brace yourself for a big change. They occurred right before The British Invasion, Disco, Grunge and Nu-Metal
    I do not have ducks.
    I do not have a row.
    I have squirrels and they're at a rave.

In my observations of the charts, any mini folk music boom on the charts is a warning to brace yourself for a big change. They occurred right before The British Invasion, Disco, Grunge and Nu-Metal
    But all that was before popular music went relentlessly uptempo and rhythmic. There had always been a place for ballads on the pop chart until the past decade or so.

Exactly! and what goes around comes around. Just follow the music tracks of history.

.....and that Nathaniel Rateliff "You worry me" is some pretty tasty rotation stuff right now on KNDD, KBCS/Carol, and KAPY/Valley 104.9. Folk, is that what you call it? Kinda like CSN, JT, Joni and Dylan in the early 70's. Seattle circa 2020, Another triple A commercial station breaks through the FM Mc Clutter, as the rip rap rhythm and the boy band production fake country age 20 something's move on to less contrived musical pastures ? Feel free to envision.......

AAA means (usually) Adult Alternative. The 'Adults' of 2020 that would be a AAA stations primary audience will be the ones we call Millennials today.

You know -- the hip hop generation.

I sort of doubt they're all going to embrace a form of folk music. AAA is sort of like New Age or Smooth Jazz. It's done. Specialty show only.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    AAA means (usually) Adult Alternative. The 'Adults' of 2020 that would be a AAA stations primary audience will be the ones we call Millennials today.

You know -- the hip hop generation.

I sort of doubt they're all going to embrace a form of folk music. AAA is sort of like New Age or Smooth Jazz. It's done. Specialty show only.
    As much as I used to love this format, I have to agree with the sentiment.

Somebody mentioned the XM channel "The Loft" upthread. It's been 10 years since I have listened to that channel. I just don't get into the folk stuff anymore.

I worked for a major market AAA back in the early 90s. We kind of did our own thing when we didn't have any debt; we could pay the bills and turn a decent profit. Once we bought a couple more stations and had to pay a bank note, the musical adventure was over and we shifted to Hot AC because we needed more money coming in.

That's what I'm taking away from this conversation. If you're in a small market with the right lifestyle group (or you're a non-comm) and little to no debt load, you can take this format on if you can find enough direct business. But any decent signal in a major market comes with the debt load built in, and that kind of precludes narrow boutique formats.

I get my new age fix from a podcast these days. I still use as much broadcast radio as I used to. My use of new media has basically replaced my CD collection, not my radio listening.

If you build a radio station to be a mood service but people only use you once a week when they're in the mood for something acoustic, that's not an efficient use of a radio station.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

I thought this was interesting and relevant to this conversation. Today NARAS announced it was adding some categories and changing others in order to get more diversity in the Grammy Awards. So one of the categories they're changing is Alternative. Here's how the describe it:

It is now defined as “a less intense version of Rock or a more intense version of Pop,” which “may embrace a variety of subgenres or any hybrids thereof and may include recordings that don’t fit into other genre categories.”

"Alternative" as a genre name is so dated. You mention alternative and the first thing people think of is Nirvana, Soundgarden and the usual Seattle grunge depression of the '90s and today's stuff is nothing like that. It's more indie pop than anything, musically much closer related to early '80s skinny tie power pop than Black Sabbath.
    I do not have ducks.
    I do not have a row.
    I have squirrels and they're at a rave.

"Alternative" as a genre name is so dated. You mention alternative and the first thing people think of is Nirvana, Soundgarden and the usual Seattle grunge depression of the '90s and today's stuff is nothing like that. It's more indie pop than anything, musically much closer related to early '80s skinny tie power pop than Black Sabbath.
    I'd agree with you -- except like you, I remember the 1990's, and the wide variety of stuff that was played on The End, as well as other alternative stations.

I'm not so sure how dated the term Alternative is, because it was always a wide format. Bands and artists like Weezer and Beck and Everlast really didn't sound all that much like grunge. Grunge was just a part of the mix, although it was the part of the genre that kicked the mix into the mainstream.

Today's alternative is also all over the place, and probably more than it was in the 90's, except today's alternative doesn't seem to have any heaviness to it -- there are no Pearl Jams, Nirvanas, and Soundgardens. So in that respect you are correct.

But there was a lot of indie pop in the Modern Rock and Alternative format back in the 90's and 00's, it's just that the rock has disappeared from the format.

One thing the Big A mentioned a month or so ago was that alternative is too nichified and wide -- they don't have any core artists that grab the mainstream. That is why it is struggling in many places as a format. I think I'd have to agree. Whatever core artists Alternative has aren't necessarily household names as they were 20 years ago. Formats seem to need that to be super viable.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    One thing the Big A mentioned a month or so ago was that alternative is too nichified and wide -- they don't have any core artists that grab the mainstream. That is why it is struggling in many places as a format. I think I'd have to agree. Whatever core artists Alternative has aren't necessarily household names as they were 20 years ago. Formats seem to need that to be super viable.
    If you don't have a core artist that grabs the mainstream or is a household name, is it really a core artist?

If your core artists can only pack small clubs, you probably will have trouble paying the bills.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234