Amp 103.3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp 103.3

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    Ask 105.7 how that WROR call thing worked out for them, They still have the calls, the concept was dead on arrival.
    Would you kindly explain the last six words in the above?

Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post
    Would you kindly explain the last six words in the above?
    Well if you don't mind I will quote Eli Polonski, who I think we can agree is a not only in the industry, but also someone with some knowledge of the industry.

In a thread on this board, about Ken Shelton he said, and I quote

"After WBCN, he was on WZLX and then WBOS for a while. His last area on-air gig that I know of was at WROR about six years ago when they briefly tried switching from classic hits to a classic AOR format. They hired Ken as a voice that would recall Boston AOR radio in the '70s and '80s. The experiment was unfortunately a ratings failure, and after two declining books they went back to the classic hits format, and let Ken go."

I don't know of anyone who was around at the time that thought it went well, do you?

Also from Eli, same topic

"And also around that time, "Timeless Rock & Roll Classics". It was WROR's classic Boston AOR recreation experiment attempt of 2001. I and a few other aficionados of the late '60s/'70s AOR deep cuts that they were sprinkling in thought it was pretty cool, but it flopped badly in the ratings. After two nosediving books, it was back to classic hits, and their ratings came back up."

Yes, except for that brief ill-fated "classic AOR" recreation experiment around 2001, WROR has otherwise been quite successful with Classic Hits since 1996, especially since 2012 when 103.3 flipped from its more pop-skewing version of Classic Hits to CHR as "Amp", giving WROR the local Classic Hits format by default. WROR has been in the top five, occasionally at number one, in the all-ages since then.

Back to the subject, the "heritage" call letters WROR have little to do with its current success. Recognition of the original 98.5 WROR calls may have helped a bit in launching them on 105.7 back 22 years ago, but not since then. Give the audience the hits they want to hear, the ratings go up. Give them too much "deep" stuff (even if a small "cult following" including myself appreciates it), the ratings go down, regardless of the call letters.

Heritage calls can have some value only if you're a non-corporate specialty station skewing toward a much older local cult audience than corporate stations want, such as Nostalgia/Easy Listening on Bob Bittner's WJIB, and Ed Perry has WMEX, said to relaunch it as an Oldies station.
    Last edited by Eli Polonsky; 06-26-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    Well if you don't mind I will quote Eli Polonski, who I think we can agree is a not only in the industry, but also someone with some knowledge of the industry.

In a thread on this board, about Ken Shelton he said, and I quote

"After WBCN, he was on WZLX and then WBOS for a while. His last area on-air gig that I know of was at WROR about six years ago when they briefly tried switching from classic hits to a classic AOR format. They hired Ken as a voice that would recall Boston AOR radio in the '70s and '80s. The experiment was unfortunately a ratings failure, and after two declining books they went back to the classic hits format, and let Ken go."

I don't know of anyone who was around at the time that thought it went well, do you?

Also from Eli, same topic

"And also around that time, "Timeless Rock & Roll Classics". It was WROR's classic Boston AOR recreation experiment attempt of 2001. I and a few other aficionados of the late '60s/'70s AOR deep cuts that they were sprinkling in thought it was pretty cool, but it flopped badly in the ratings. After two nosediving books, it was back to classic hits, and their ratings came back up."
    WHAT "concept was dead on arrival"?

You cite instances of WROR - I assume you mean 105.7 WROR - and its attempted forays into AOR, but I am not able to connect the dots about a DOA "concept".

I was a regular listener to 105.7 WROR in the mid-aughts, when they played "THE 60s, 70s, and 80s ALL IN ONE PLACE".

As for 98.5 WROR - they had problems finding their way with the automated fare from Drake-Chenault, but were making some headway when they dropped the automation and went live for a few years before becoming Mix 98.5 WBMX.

Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post
    WHAT "concept was dead on arrival"?

You cite instances of WROR - I assume you mean 105.7 WROR - and its attempted forays into AOR, but I am not able to connect the dots about a DOA "concept".
    I believe what he meant about “DOA” was the concept of whether the “heritage” callsign from the old 98.5 WROR benefits today’s 105.7 WROR.

My answer was maybe a little to help 105.7 launch as WROR 22 years ago in 1996, but since then, their performance has been due to the programming presented, not the call letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Polonsky View Post
    I believe what he meant about “DOA” was the concept of whether the “heritage” callsign from the old 98.5 WROR benefits today’s 105.7 WROR.

My answer was maybe a little to help 105.7 launch as WROR 22 years ago in 1996, but since then, their performance has been due to the programming presented, not the call letters.
    Eli,

Thanks for taking the time to make this clearer for me (and maybe even a few others!).

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Polonsky View Post

Certainly, WROR 98.5 was a player in the 80's fueled by Joe and Andy but were the calls that important? 105.7 should have explored getting back the WVBF callsign

Quote Originally Posted by Fenway1912 View Post
    Certainly, WROR 98.5 was a player in the 80's fueled by Joe and Andy but were the calls that important? 105.7 should have explored getting back the WVBF callsign
    WVBF has been in use on 1530 AM, a local talk station in Middleborough, MA, since the mid-'90s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12