• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pulse 87 atfernoon dj Abel Sanchez Joins WNYL (ALT 92.3)/New York For Weekends

Personally, I can listen to just about any terrestrial format for a half an hour to see what's up .... Classical, today's Country, A/C, CHR, Jazz, Oldies, Spanish-language (and I can't complete a sentence in Spanish) .....
But my anecdotal indulgences are by-the-by.

Mostly, I enjoy the idea that, in 2018, * someone * with an FCC license is causing some buzz. And with the summer season here, maybe this weekend programming agenda can catch some ears. Irrespective of format.

One Oldies station I PD'ed wound up with some terrific response when we started stealing a march on the weekends during the good-weather months. The response -- PAGES of requests on an AM daytimer -- carried over 'til Monday mornings on clock radios.
Here's a 'Salut!' to WNYL for displaying some weekend chimes.

Last edited:
A full-time placement was hinted at by new PD Mike Kaplan in his last press release about the Abel Sanchez hire (Abel also previously worked at 92.3 Now):

Bryce Segall joins as MD/Evenings starting on Monday 7/2/2018.
He was previously APD/on-air at Entercom's KNDD Seattle 107.7 The End.

Dan Stone joins as Imaging Director effective on Monday 6/25/2018.
He was previously an imaging contributor and consultant for Cumulus Media in Chicago, which included WLS, WLS-FM, WKQX (Q101) and the recently sold-off WLUP.

Story link: http://t.e2ma.net/message/yxwztf/2cz2il

Hopefully this flurry of hires will amount to more than nil for 'NYL (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!).

Still no morning show. Strange.

It took them a while to replace Carson Daly in LA, so obviously talent isn't a high priority in this format.

So they have Christine doing mid-days, and now Bryce in evenings (probably VT), and some weekend talent.

In the story linked below (scroll down to the second item on the page), it is mentioned that they're looking for
"an afternoon talent and a morning team to dominate NYC!" with links to the Entercom Job Portal and PD Mike Kaplan's email.

https://t.e2ma.net/message/ida0tf/2cz2il

Keep in mind that the PD was just hired in May, 6 months after the format debuted.
Thus, they're actually moving at a decent pace hiring-wise.

Also to clarify, while Bryce Segall was previously at KNDD Seattle (working with Mike Kaplan, by the way),
his most recent job was "as Label Manager for Mad Zoo, a boutique electronic record label".

Thus, I would guess he'd be coming to NYC as he wasn't currently employed in radio,
plus also being the Music Director might entail being "on-site",
but with home studios proliferating recently, voice tracking could still be possible.

Maybe mike kaplan the pd is trying to get the woody show for the morning show considering they do mornings at the station he use to work at ALT 98.7 in Los angeles. They are syndicated now.

Maybe mike kaplan the pd is trying to get the woody show for the morning show considering they do mornings at the station he use to work at ALT 98.7 in Los angeles. They are syndicated now.

I hope not. I hope alt 92.3 does what Radio 104.5 in Philly does with their mornings; have just music

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom