• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1300 KKOL...

Reviving this old thread.. I noted that KKOL has been on the Silent Station List since September 27, 2019. Simplistically-speaking; that means they need to either come up on the air with licensed facilities for a certain time, then re-apply for an addition year of silence by 9/17/20, or risk license cancellation. KKOL has no FM translators, and they spent a fair bit to move the station to Braindead Island.

Any scuttlebutt on what the story is with this pig? Are the owners going to finally just let this station go extinct?

Wasn't it traded to someone in OR for something?? So it's no longer Salem's dog.

Its owned by Intelli, LLC which is Do Van Tron, he owns a Portland station... KAZA 1290 near San Jose, an LA area station, A Dallas area station an an Atlanta area station.. all doign vietnamese

I can assure you all that Salem engineering was right on top of any and all RFI issues the moment they fired up on 1300 there. Salem's entire cluster in the Seattle area is AM stations, they know what they are doing with regard to RFI.

We can only assume the locals on Bainbridge are not willing to be satisfied with a solution to phones nobody has anymore.

I can assure you all that Salem engineering was right on top of any and all RFI issues the moment they fired up on 1300 there. Salem's entire cluster in the Seattle area is AM stations, they know what they are doing with regard to RFI.

We can only assume the locals on Bainbridge are not willing to be satisfied with a solution to phones nobody has anymore.

I seriously doubt ticked-off Braindead residents are keeping the station silent. The Commission will push the station to satisfy the neighbors to the best of their documented ability, but nothing more. I've done a lot of RFI mitigation to home phones, business phone systems, alarm systems, TV's, electric organs, buzzing outlets, you name it. All the FCC requires is you make real effort to satisfy then residents affected. The key is to document the process, and to expect there will be some residents who won't even let you in their home to demonstrate the problem, let alone install a filter. They figure by being difficult and writing complaints to the Commission, you'll just go away. Doesn't work that way.

Being on the KBRO tower, KKOL's signal can't be that spectacular. The RF floor noise on Capitol Hill almost wipes KBRO out even on a top notch radio. Aside from the waterfront, downtown Edmonds and Green Lake, you can hardly get a decent signal from KBRO in the Seattle area anymore - not that it was ever that decent, but it wasn't this noisy. I can't imagine KKOL faring much better from that stick.

In the case of KKOL, does the 60dbu rule cover the whole of a city or just part of it? Or does the STA temporarily suspend that until greener pastures can be found for this cow?

They were on the KBRO tower while the Bainbridge site was built out. The new site is built and they have 50KW day and around 3KW nite. I don't think they have had the new site on long enough to sample the new signal.

Being on the KBRO tower, KKOL's signal can't be that spectacular. The RF floor noise on Capitol Hill almost wipes KBRO out even on a top notch radio. Aside from the waterfront, downtown Edmonds and Green Lake, you can hardly get a decent signal from KBRO in the Seattle area anymore - not that it was ever that decent, but it wasn't this noisy. I can't imagine KKOL faring much better from that stick.

QUOTE]

KKOL diplexed onto the KBRO tower for a little over a month, only to maintain its license while "community" issues were worked out on Bainbridge. What was amazing was that, even knowing it would be very short term, they did a first-class job of the buildout. It looked like it could have been intended to be there for 40 years... a real first-class job. When they moved out, you would never have known they were there.

I heard KKOL from the Bainbridge site a few times after they moved out of KBRO... maybe for 2 or 3 weeks before they turned it off and STA'd it... something about not having a program link established to the site. Today, it might be the cost of power, which is why another owner in the area has turned off a bunch of his AMs and STA'd them.

I heard KKOL from the Bainbridge site a few times after they moved out of KBRO... maybe for 2 or 3 weeks before they turned it off and STA'd it... something about not having a program link established to the site. Today, it might be the cost of power, which is why another owner in the area has turned off a bunch of his AMs and STA'd them.

Bainbridge is a terrible site for an AM, in spite of being surrounded by saltwater. If you check the day coverage, it's not great. 0.5mVM barely makes it through Federal Way and the point in Tacoma. That's about it. Most of the field strength goes up Admiralty Inlet North. Whidbey Island should get great coverage day.

Another one of these 50kW shoe-horn jobs that throw too much power toward areas with no population. And 3.2kW night? Will barely make it to downtown Seattle. In other words, given the impulse and terrestrial noise plaguing AM these days, why bother?

I'm wondering if they fired this thing up, licensed the facilities, then discovered it will never be a competitive signal? Whoops!

Being an AM doesn't help either.

Even when KKOL was at their old site they didn't have that great of a signal here in Edmonds. They were quite noisy during the day on all but the best of radios, and sounded like a distant skywave at night.

Relevant Radio now

Earlier tonight while tuning around on my Sangean I heard Relevant Radio here. Wondered which station flipped.

Just heard a 'KKOL Seattle' ID at the top of the hour. Looks like they're back on the air, same bearing as they had when they were playing Xtian pop/AC a year ago.

Earlier tonight while tuning around on my Sangean I heard Relevant Radio here. Wondered which station flipped.

Just heard a 'KKOL Seattle' ID at the top of the hour. Looks like they're back on the air, same bearing as they had when they were playing Xtian pop/AC a year ago.

Haven't checked their FCC files lately, but my guess is this may be a 'one-year-silent' clock reset. If my hunch is correct, expect them to disappear again once the FCC processes their Silent Station STA.

Haven't checked their FCC files lately, but my guess is this may be a 'one-year-silent' clock reset. If my hunch is correct, expect them to disappear again once the FCC processes their Silent Station STA.

Yeah, I heard them last night (weakly), and they're MIA today.

Even when KKOL was at their old site they didn't have that great of a signal here in Edmonds. They were quite noisy during the day on all but the best of radios, and sounded like a distant skywave at night.
Way back when we were on Harbor Island, we had one heck of a null towards Mason City, Iowa. Not much signal in Eastgate.

Relevant Radio is going to LMA 1300, look forward to regular full time operation soon.

I give it six months before going back to silent. Thing is: Bainbridge has always been a terrible location. Even KZOK/KUUU didn't cover the area well, and that was before the AM band was swamped by terrestrial noise courtesy of LED lights, consumer electronics, and aging utilities.

If nobody is able to listen, it's a tough business case to justify dumping money into the care and feeding of an AM station, let alone one that doesn't cover the entire market.

From All Access Music Group

"INTELLI LLC has applied for an STA to operate KKOL-A/SEATTLE with its nighttime power (3.2 kw) during daytime hours to get the station back on the air before its permit expires; the station has been dark while dealing with complaints of blanketing interference from neighbors."

From All Access Music Group

"INTELLI LLC has applied for an STA to operate KKOL-A/SEATTLE with its nighttime power (3.2 kw) during daytime hours to get the station back on the air before its permit expires; the station has been dark while dealing with complaints of blanketing interference from neighbors."

Those NIMBY neighbors on Bainbridge are going to be relentless. Yet another reason Bainbridge has to be one of the worst sites to locate an AM station.

Having done a lot of RF mitigation in businesses and residential areas; shutting down or operating at significantly reduced power is the LAST thing a station should be doing. Each time one shuts down, it shows the NIMBY's that they have leverage to work against, not with you. It also resets the mitigation clock, because the complainant's will always prefer the station being off, and will determine the only alternative is the station just go away. Each time you fire back up, it becomes like you moved in for the first time, as does the number of complaints. Also, it's technically impossible to work through all the various versions and amounts of RFI, if the station isn't operating at the parameters it will be going forward.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom