• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Ultimate Train Wreck?

And then Ready for the World's "Oh Sheila" followed by Tommy Roe's "Sheila" followed by the Who's "Tommy" followed by ....

Ahh, now you are talking about entertaining and intellectually stimulating radio and that is absolutely against the rules. Occasional train wrecks are can sometimes be ok. I love how our noted pros are very much against them, unless they are "professionally" done by a station that engages in paid market research, and then it is ok - "trust us, our researched train wrecks are still superior to you playing what you want to hear"

In any case, I am sure Sheena the punk rocker goes to the Rock N Roll High School. I just mention that so I have an excuse to write "I don't care about history; cause that's not where I want to be"

One of the best lyrics ever!

Ahh, now you are talking about entertaining and intellectually stimulating radio and that is absolutely against the rules. Occasional train wrecks are can sometimes be ok. I love how our noted pros are very much against them, unless they are "professionally" done by a station that engages in paid market research, and then it is ok - "trust us, our researched train wrecks are still superior to you playing what you want to hear"

In any case, I am sure Sheena the punk rocker goes to the Rock N Roll High School. I just mention that so I have an excuse to write "I don't care about history; cause that's not where I want to be"

One of the best lyrics ever!

"Don't know much about history. Don't know much methodology. Don't know much about music flow. Don't know how deep a playlist should go." ;)

I love how our noted pros are very much against them, unless they are "professionally" done by a station that engages in paid market research, and then it is ok - "trust us, our researched train wrecks are still superior to you playing what you want to hear"

Huh? We're talking about an extremely popular radio station here. It's not who programs, but the results. And the results here are very good.

So yes, they are obviously doing a good job because it's resulting in great ratings and revenue. That's the point. This isn't a hobby.

Huh? We're talking about an extremely popular radio station here. It's not who programs, but the results. And the results here are very good.

So yes, they are obviously doing a good job because it's resulting in great ratings and revenue. That's the point. This isn't a hobby.

The Dallas Jack is also quite different than the other Jack's around the country. I like our Jack and the ratings show the rest of DFW does too.

The Dallas Jack is also quite different than the other Jack's around the country. I like our Jack and the ratings show the rest of DFW does too.

Actually I like the Dallas Jack better than the LA Jack as well. It simply has more variety, particularly the early 80s artists like, well, Sheena Easton. I like Sheena and I don't care who knows it! The difference exists no doubt because the Dallas area has less of an ethnic audience than LA.

The Dallas Jack is one of the few that has local personalities. That's one of the things that makes it different.

But the format is designed to be different from market to market, with music selected by local programmers.

The Dallas Jack is one of the few that has local personalities. That's one of the things that makes it different.

But the format is designed to be different from market to market, with music selected by local programmers.

Only in the Top 10 Markets IIRC, the rest are fed off the bird at a central location or at one time had been.

The Dallas Jack is also more rock-leaning than the others in addition to having DJs now, though the Dallas Jack has almost always been a step away from Classic Rock. Its been a long time since Jack launched but I seem to recall the first few years of a Jack station are spent sat fed before getting turned loose to local programmers and then only in the top markets.

Only in the Top 10 Markets IIRC, the rest are fed off the bird at a central location or at one time had been.

The top 50 markets, IIRC my chats with Sparknet folks, the format is assembled specifically for the market... including local research if warranted... and custom rotations, imaging, etc. As such, it is more like a consulting agreement.

In the below-50 markets, the format is provided for local running but without customization.

The Dallas Jack is also more rock-leaning than the others in addition to having DJs now, though the Dallas Jack has almost always been a step away from Classic Rock.

Each of the consulted markets is done differently, generally based on what the local research indicates.

Its been a long time since Jack launched but I seem to recall the first few years of a Jack station are spent sat fed before getting turned loose to local programmers and then only in the top markets.

The era of satellite feeds is pretty much gone. Stations execute syndicated formats locally, so they don't have to pad commercial windows (and can set their own commercial limits), but they use the supplier's imaging, consulting, guidance, etc.

I love how our noted pros are very much against them, unless they are "professionally" done by a station that engages in paid market research, and then it is ok - "trust us, our researched train wrecks are still superior to you playing what you want to hear"

Stations do not research segues. They may research blends, but as a broad, "view from thirty thousand feet" perspective. The actual log and the massaging of the sets and segues is totally the domain of the program director and their staff.

It's about finding out what listeners want to hear, and then creatively combining likable songs so that the patterns, blends and mixes are never quite the same.

The difference exists no doubt because the Dallas area has less of an ethnic audience than LA.

Yes, there is an ethnic difference, but the bigger difference is in the market lifestyle. That's why the larger market Jack stations are customized locally in coordination with Sparknet and the local programmer.

I can remember a couple of AOR train wrecks back in the day.

103KDF Nashville going from “It’s So Easy” by Linda Ronstadt into “*** On Feel The Noize” by Quiet Riot.

96Rock from Atlanta Seguin from “Shout at the Devil” by Motley Crue into “Every Breath You Take” by the Police.

Those were jolts.

I can remember a couple of AOR train wrecks back in the day.

103KDF Nashville going from “It’s So Easy” by Linda Ronstadt into “*** On Feel The Noize” by Quiet Riot.

96Rock from Atlanta Seguin from “Shout at the Devil” by Motley Crue into “Every Breath You Take” by the Police.

Those were jolts.

The Nashville segue sounds pretty good to me, especially going from the cold end of the Ronstadt song to the basic drums/vocal intro of the Quiet Riot song. As a listener and not a radio pro, I wouldn't be "jolted" at all. As for Atlanta ... meh, nothing great, but nothing all that wrong with it. I assume the songs played before "Shout at the Devil" were hard-edged rockers as well, so the slower vibe of "Every Breath You Take" might have worked well at that point to inject a little variety.

Unreal. Bring back Jhani Kaye!

As I said before, this kind of segue is very useful and positive and says, "hey, we don't play songs that all sound alike..."

As I said before, this kind of segue is very useful and positive and says, "hey, we don't play songs that all sound alike..."

I think people are confusing what a radio DJ (or PD or MD or whoever schedules the music) is supposed to do with what a DJ at a dance club is supposed to do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom