• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where is KNLY?

Follows their pattern of giving the last three formats about ~3 years of life.

Let's stop kidding ourselves. They're not going to take any more audience from KRBE. UrbanOne has tried just about everything at this point (Regional Mexican, News, Top-40, Gospel, Old School Hip-Hop). I can't think of what else they could try. Rock? Pure Classic Hits? Talk? Sports?

They could try another Mega 101 style station, maybe DIGITAL 92.1 or LATINO 92.1.

Ok, so what do you suggest they do with it?

It's a truly inferior signal, and that has been its problem since the classical format was dropped; while the classical audience would go to extremes to hear it, that's not the case with any type of more contemporary format.

Their biggest ongoing success was gospel, but the format leaned very old and was a tough sell. But it was an exclusive, higher-demand format. They need to find something that they can be alone in and which listeners will use even with a less perfect signal.

KROI is not changing anytime soon. Terri (PD at Urban One) says they plan to give the Now format at least three years to catch on.

A little hard for any format to catch on that frequency with the non-existent advertising they give to that station. I don't know anyone that knows about it

Follows their pattern of giving the last three formats about ~3 years of life.

They've not always gone three years:

La Mera Mera: Axed after 21 months
Praise: Little over five years
News92: Three years
Boom: 27 months

I'm thinking RadioNow will survive into early 2019, but if the numbers are still low and stagnant, it will be axed mid-year.

There are two stations doing that already. The Spot and xxx.

Speaking of The Spot, I notice they have refreshed the playlist a bit. I'm hearing quite a few songs that the station hasn't played before. Seems to be skewing ever so slightly younger now. Much needed; the core playlist was getting really stale.

From the posting:

"91.1 FM "The Boss"
Latin, Country, Top40's, 80's and News
Houston's Choice for Music Mix!"

Sounds like a variety station! Cool.

Unfortunately it seems they’re downgrading from 15,000 to 8000 Watts. So it won’t be reaching any of Houston.

I pulled the coverage map from the FCC and it appears the station 60 dbu is more like typing 0 but offset at an angle on a line from southeast Huntsville to just northwest of Liberty. With the tower site halfway between New Waverly and Cold Spring, it misses the populated places except New Waverly and Cold Spring. Not sure of the population count in the 60 dbu but my guess the price of $200,000 was a hefty one for a non-commercial FM. I'm guessing about $4 to $5 per head in population. I hear $3 or less is average.

I know from selling advertising, the merchant likes to be able to receive the station. Selling Underwriting is the same scenario. Given this station does not hit the areas where the bulk of the business community resides, it will be tough to gain ground in sales. The average listener to a public supported station might give on average $150 a year. That figure includes stations that hire pros to direct and fulfill fund drives. In other words, you drop that 'hired hand' results and that annual figure might be $75. And without a hired hand, years of community presence might get 1 in 15 listeners to donate. The rule of thumb is to not even attempt to have a fund drive until you have been on air for 2 years because the results are terrible. That means you need to find creative ways to find your operating budget. And grants ain't it.

By the way, they used the typical 'template' of religious programming to describe the format, something done quite often. While the FCC does not regulate programming, a programming description is added on an application. Filing to say you choose religious programming means no questions from the FCC. So many applicants use the religious programming description even though they don't intend to be. Since a station can change format at will, if it was ever questioned, the applicant would simply say 'we chose to take the station in a different direction'.

I think the proper answer to the original question is - in the middle of nowhere.

The rabbits will enjoy listening to this station. People, not many covered by it.

It's hard to imagine a worse allocation of financial resources and radio signal for a non-commercial station that relies on donations - "broadcasting live from the middle of Sam Houston National Forest somewhere between Huntsville and Cleveland." For the 5 or 10 hikers there, great, but only if they're willing to donate big bucks to the cause. BamaTX and Stan are right, the rabbits will enjoy the station, but only for another 6 months.
See the signal coverage here: https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=KN...zip=&arn=&party=&party_type=LICEN&latd=&lond=

I was able to pick them up tonight by my neighborhood. Lots of static, but mostly Banda songs.

The station was on Fox 26 with Ruben Dominguez. The guy said you can hear the station here in the woodlands. But starting next week you'll be able to hear us in Houston. Any scoop of what he meant by that? There is no info online of them getting a construction permit.

I was scanning around last night and was able to pick up KNLY... they were playing a pretty bizarre mix of music - pop, country, and Spanish pop, along with sweepers attempting to sell advertising. Their website also makes mention of commercial advertising, complete with a media kit: http://www.radiotheboss.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Mediakit-2019-without-Prices.pdf. Seems rather sketchy, a non-commercial "Christian" radio station, running secular music and selling commercial spots.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom