• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNX Moves From KCBS-HD2 to KRTH-HD2

Now that's interesting.
Could KNX finally make the leap, a la WBBM and KCBS-AM?
"KNX 10-70 and FM 101."

I'm curious. Does anybody take advantage of the HD stations (other than HD1) and listen to them?

About 8 years ago, my car stereo died, so I bought an aftermarket unit with HD2. I really liked a lot of the HD stations, though I heard it was a flop at the time. I gave that car to my son, and got into playing MP3 in the car, in any case. But I'm wondering if HD2 and 3 stations are gaining any traction.

Now that's interesting.
Could KNX finally make the leap, a la WBBM and KCBS-AM?
"KNX 10-70 and FM 101."

KRTH bills as much as KNX does, at a fraction of the programming expense. With no FM competitor a la KQED or threat of one a la Merlin, Entercom has no incentive to put a declining format on FM, eliminating the revenue of one of the market's top billers.

That's sad to hear. Other CBS/Entercom All-News stations are among the nation's biggest billers... WINS, WCBS, WBBM.

Along with KFI, KNX is often in the Los Angeles Top 10 in ratings. You'd think the billing would be better than KRTH, if only because KNX can run two or three times as many ads and sponsorships, since spots are not as intrusive on a spoken word format.

KRTH bills as much as KNX does, at a fraction of the programming expense. With no FM competitor a la KQED or threat of one a la Merlin, Entercom has no incentive to put a declining format on FM, eliminating the revenue of one of the market's top billers.

I'm not sure what the deal was with WBBM, but in the case of KCBS, the 106.9 frequency purchased just a couple years previously by CBS (in a swap with a religious broadcaster for 610 AM) had experienced two format flops - an FM talk format, followed by the poorly executed re-birth of Classic Hits KFRC. In fact, the KFRC call letters are still assigned to 106.9, though you only hear them once per hour.

Point is - putting KCBS on FM was kind of a no-brainer, not like blowing up K-Earth.

I'm curious. Does anybody take advantage of the HD stations (other than HD1) and listen to them?

About 8 years ago, my car stereo died, so I bought an aftermarket unit with HD2. I really liked a lot of the HD stations, though I heard it was a flop at the time. I gave that car to my son, and got into playing MP3 in the car, in any case. But I'm wondering if HD2 and 3 stations are gaining any traction.

I have an HD radio at home and listen to KNX on HD2 almost every morning. It started on 97.1-2, moved to 93.1-2, and now to 101.1-2. I used to have a car radio with HD. I have mixed feeling about HD radio. Although there are a lot of HD2's that simply simulcast a sister AM format, there are a few formats one can't get on FM/HD1. I am disappointed with the quality of the HD2 signals. It seems to cut out easily, especially with all the canyon roads in the LA area.

My wife spends the vast majority of her commute (405, 710, 110) listening to KROQ2 (106.7 HD2). My son enjoys K-Mozart (88.1 HD2). K-Surf (105.1 HD2) is an excellent format option available to us most optimally via this HD2 channel since their 1260 signal is scratchy here in southern LA County. and unaudible after sunset. I also frequently listen to KNX on HD2 (93.1 came in excellent with nearly no drops. I have yet to see if moving to 101.1 HD2 will provide the same reliable coverage without the annoying HD signal drop outs).

I certainly do!!!

I listen heavily to 88.5 HD1 KCSN/KSBR for my Adult Alternative Rock and 88.5 HD2 for KSBR Jazz. I listen to KPCC 89.3 HD2 (Broadcasting MPR's 89.3 'The Current' AAA format) and 89.9 KCRW's Eclectic24. Commercially, I do listen to KTWV 'Wave Classics' on 94.7 HD2 and Dodgers on Alt 98.7 HD2 (KLAC) - I won't put KNX on my presets for FM HD as they already broadcast in HD on AM 10.70

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom