• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCAP - Lowell

Who is programming WCAP, anyone know?

I know who the owners are...but who internally is choosing programming?

THey seem to have gone off the Left End with programming from Russia Today, etc.

WCAP will run ANYTHING if the check clears.

Jeff Santos, Howie Carr, it matters not.

They over paid for the station, the Colonel had to buy out his partner, the transmitter is barely functioning, IIRC there have been issues related to the transmitter site.

I don't think they are in any position to turn down any paying customers.

You think Thom Hartman (formerly of Russia Today) is paying them?

You think Stephanie Miller is paying them?

BTW...How much did they pay for the station

Sighs** Rarely do I like to revive old threads with no new updates...or burn bridges with my former workplace...but...

As someone who worked at WCAP for many years, I can safely assume that Thom and Stephanie are NOT paying the Colonel.

Again, I don't like to gossip about my former...$2.4 Million.

Who is programming WCAP, anyone know?

I know who the owners are...but who internally is choosing programming?

THey seem to have gone off the Left End with programming from Russia Today, etc.

Yeah god forbid, one station should have left wing programming. You have 12 right wing echo chamber stations to listen to. Stop your complaining

Yeah god forbid, one station should have left wing programming. You have 12 right wing echo chamber stations to listen to. Stop your complaining

Stop complaining? Have you ever worked at this station? Have you even seen inside this place? Have you ever worked their equipment? Please don't counter my experience with your ignorance.

As far as Hartmann and Miller are concerned, they're not "left-wing." They're center-left. And aside from the morning show, there really hasn't been much "far-right" programming on WCAP in about five years. Mostly "centrist-right" local programming and "centrist-left" syndicated programming is what's on their agenda. Cool?

Stop complaining? Have you ever worked at this station? Have you even seen inside this place? Have you ever worked their equipment? Please don't counter my experience with your ignorance.

As far as Hartmann and Miller are concerned, they're not "left-wing." They're center-left. And aside from the morning show, there really hasn't been much "far-right" programming on WCAP in about five years. Mostly "centrist-right" local programming and "centrist-left" syndicated programming is what's on their agenda. Cool?

Listen split hairs, I haven't worked at WCAP , but I've worked with people who have worked there.
You seem very opinionated, based on what? Do you have access to my radio resume ? Do you have access to my resume" which states I've worked at 5 stations, I've been a concert booking agent, and I've written for radio trade publications, and importantly, I've raised money for progressive no n profits for many years.
Thom and Stephanie are progressive, who cares if they are left, center left whatever, they are a rarity on commercial radio in so called progressive, liberal Massachusetts, and I enjoy listening to them.
You must be no fun to work with

Listen split hairs, I haven't worked at WCAP , but I've worked with people who have worked there.
You seem very opinionated, based on what? Do you have access to my radio resume ? Do you have access to my resume" which states I've worked at 5 stations, I've been a concert booking agent, and I've written for radio trade publications, and importantly, I've raised money for progressive no n profits for many years.
Thom and Stephanie are progressive, who cares if they are left, center left whatever, they are a rarity on commercial radio in so called progressive, liberal Massachusetts, and I enjoy listening to them.
You must be no fun to work with

See? If I knew that you would have a vested interest in defending a radio station's satellite feed, I wouldn't have revived this thread back up from the muck.

Do you normally do this to people? I'm sure you have worked at various radio stations. Nobody is saying that you haven't. But unlike you, I don't feel the need to list my line of work in order for you to justify your vain defense of two limousine liberal syndicated hosts. If you enjoy listening to them, then there's WCAP. But there's also FreeSpeechTV where you can find TH and SM.

The term "progressive" is vague. There are several factions of the Democratic Party that identify as "progressive" and others that identify as "centrist." Miller and Hartmann fall into the latter. They support traditionalist candidates, are skittish on single-payer healthcare and have even expressed some doubts over free college. Again, I'm not going to turn this into a back-and-forth or even turn this political. This is a radio thread. My point was that Stephanie Miller and Thom Hartmann are more middle-of-the-road liberal. Not "progressive" as you have stated. So, I tried to kindly correct you. Instead you have gotten personal and listed your accomplishments as a means to devalue my experience at my former place of employment.

In regards to the notion for which you allege that I am "no fun to work with," I'm sure that if you checked your Facebook Friends List and saw who was behind these retorts, you'd quickly rethink your position. I'm full of sunshine and rainbows.

Lastly, and I'll never revive something like this again. I don't like to throw shade on my former place of employment. Especially in this industry. And I have worked at several stations in the past 10-12 years. Maybe not as many as you have Norm, but I respect the business of radio. I, like so many others, usually shy away from calling out someone they used to work for or work with. It's not a good look. With that said, my experience at WCAP - ironically it was my first job - was very disappointing. A lot of what has been said about 980 is actually in the right ballpark. And whilst I don't enjoy playing the so-called "identity politics" card, I still feel to this day that management went a bit extra and called me names based on my ethnicity and race. Now, while I'm going to delve any further on this, I will say that the comments made by management to me countered with the supposed virtues of the liberal syndicated programming. I felt that they (the management) were very unfair in how they communicated matter to me. It's not how a professional should be treated in any field, let alone the broadcast industry. And I'm not alone in this, but I will let those individuals speak for themselves when they are ready.

Again, I'm not myopic. I'm not like Dr. Claw screaming "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET!" I'm glad that the Colonel and WCAP have landed on their feet each and every single time. I wish them all the success in the world. I do not feel that sitting back and hoping that they fail is healthy for anyone. In fact, I love Jack Baldwin. I think he's a great guy and fun to listen to on Friday afternoons. I'm just speaking from experience and that's it.

Norm, I think that you should send your long resume to the Colonel and maybe he can put you on? :)

See? If I knew that you would have a vested interest in defending a radio station's satellite feed, I wouldn't have revived this thread back up from the muck.

Do you normally do this to people? I'm sure you have worked at various radio stations. Nobody is saying that you haven't. But unlike you, I don't feel the need to list my line of work in order for you to justify your vain defense of two limousine liberal syndicated hosts. If you enjoy listening to them, then there's WCAP. But there's also FreeSpeechTV where you can find TH and SM.

The term "progressive" is vague. There are several factions of the Democratic Party that identify as "progressive" and others that identify as "centrist." Miller and Hartmann fall into the latter. They support traditionalist candidates, are skittish on single-payer healthcare and have even expressed some doubts over free college. Again, I'm not going to turn this into a back-and-forth or even turn this political. This is a radio thread. My point was that Stephanie Miller and Thom Hartmann are more middle-of-the-road liberal. Not "progressive" as you have stated. So, I tried to kindly correct you. Instead you have gotten personal and listed your accomplishments as a means to devalue my experience at my former place of employment.

In regards to the notion for which you allege that I am "no fun to work with," I'm sure that if you checked your Facebook Friends List and saw who was behind these retorts, you'd quickly rethink your position. I'm full of sunshine and rainbows.

Lastly, and I'll never revive something like this again. I don't like to throw shade on my former place of employment. Especially in this industry. And I have worked at several stations in the past 10-12 years. Maybe not as many as you have Norm, but I respect the business of radio. I, like so many others, usually shy away from calling out someone they used to work for or work with. It's not a good look. With that said, my experience at WCAP - ironically it was my first job - was very disappointing. A lot of what has been said about 980 is actually in the right ballpark. And whilst I don't enjoy playing the so-called "identity politics" card, I still feel to this day that management went a bit extra and called me names based on my ethnicity and race. Now, while I'm going to delve any further on this, I will say that the comments made by management to me countered with the supposed virtues of the liberal syndicated programming. I felt that they (the management) were very unfair in how they communicated matter to me. It's not how a professional should be treated in any field, let alone the broadcast industry. And I'm not alone in this, but I will let those individuals speak for themselves when they are ready.

Again, I'm not myopic. I'm not like Dr. Claw screaming "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET!" I'm glad that the Colonel and WCAP have landed on their feet each and every single time. I wish them all the success in the world. I do not feel that sitting back and hoping that they fail is healthy for anyone. In fact, I love Jack Baldwin. I think he's a great guy and fun to listen to on Friday afternoons. I'm just speaking from experience and that's it.

Norm, I think that you should send your long resume to the Colonel and maybe he can put you on? :)
Thanks for taking time to reply, but no thanks

Who says I want right-wing programming? I just don't want "bad programming....or anything underwritten by Russia.

As far as Hartmann and Miller are concerned, they're not "left-wing." They're center-left.

"centrist-left" syndicated programming is what's on their agenda. Cool?

No one considers Hartmann and Miller "centrist-Left.....they're just LEFT! ;-)

Please don't counter my experience with your ignorance.

Please tell us of your experience/resume jdmonairnh!

Judge rules that a DC radio station airing Spunik Radio from Russia must register as a foreign agent:

https://radioink.com/2019/05/07/dc-station-must-register-as-foreign-agent/

The station contends there's no collusion.

And right here in Boston, WILD-AM, 1090 on your radio dial, has been leased out to China Radio International a state-owned international radio broadcaster of the People's Republic of China .

A foreign company or non U S Citizen can not own or be part of a broadcast license, but that does not stop them from either buying time or just leasing the whole thing under a LMA.

I thought that rule got loosened, no?

Actually, they can.... 20 percent of Legend communications (owner of about a dozen stations) is/was someone from the Isle of Man in england. I think it was up to 25 percent foreign ownership allowed, but a british citizen and polish citizen (husband and wife)own a new york station and an australian citizen couple own all of some alaska and texas stations

Actually, they can.... 20 percent of Legend communications (owner of about a dozen stations) is/was someone from the Isle of Man in england. I think it was up to 25 percent foreign ownership allowed, but a british citizen and polish citizen (husband and wife)own a new york station and an australian citizen couple own all of some alaska and texas stations

And Univision Communications got permission nearly two and a half years ago for up to 49% foreign ownership and is petitioning for up to 70% for its radio division.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/pla...cle_2dcc7e12-7169-11e9-9153-f741bcf0403d.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom