AM Daytime Bandscan From Montville Connecticut - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AM Daytime Bandscan From Montville Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiigar View Post
    Interesting bandscan! Thanks for sharing.

I used Google maps to see where Montville, Connecticut is and now I can see why WFAN was a 5, WCBS was a 4, but WABC was only a 1.

The path from WABC's tower in Lodi, New Jersey is virtually all over land while the path from WFAN and WCBS from High Island in the Bronx is most all over salt water.
    Yeah exactly! I believe 710 and 1010 are the same way as WABC BUT I receive those fairly well. Sometimes, transmitters are weird. I have a history of getting the blowtorches from NYC and surrounding areas quite well and WBZ went from 1-2 to now a 3 since they went back on the air. At night all the NYC blowtorches kill the AM dial with my tecsun reading 60's and 70's for signal strength.

Good stuff, Carl. Add me to the list of those surprised by the differential between WABC and the other NYC big sticks. My limited experience with the New York day signals was about 20 years ago driving west on I-80. On that drive, WABC definitely held its own with the other big signals. IIRC, it was good for about an hour into Pennsylvania.

And, FWIW, WABC and WCBS are the best NY skywaves at my location northwest of Chicago.
    Owner of a radio receiver

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdad View Post
    Good stuff, Carl. Add me to the list of those surprised by the differential between WABC and the other NYC big sticks. My limited experience with the New York day signals was about 20 years ago driving west on I-80. On that drive, WABC definitely held its own with the other big signals. IIRC, it was good for about an hour into Pennsylvania.

And, FWIW, WABC and WCBS are the best NY skywaves at my location northwest of Chicago.
    Yeah, I've heard stories about NYC stations coming in everywhere. Pretty much everywhere I go, NYC comes in. Like someone else said, WABC has a different signal pattern while WCBS and WFAN are directed toward me over salt water.

At my location in the near north Chicago area WCBS has always had the best sky wave signal of any NYC station. WABC is second when WBBM isn’t using HD. When they are I can forget about hearing WABC at my location.

Quote Originally Posted by radioman148 View Post
    At my location in the near north Chicago area WCBS has always had the best sky wave signal of any NYC station. WABC is second when WBBM isn’t using HD. When they are I can forget about hearing WABC at my location.
    Very cool! On my end I receive WBBM fairly well, WMVP with lots of static (Sounds like a 60s radio) and WGN 720 on sky wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Carltheradioguy View Post
    Very cool! On my end I receive WBBM fairly well, WMVP with lots of static (Sounds like a 60s radio) and WGN 720 on sky wave.
    No WLS or WSCR I’m guessing because of WFAN & WCBS tower.

Quote Originally Posted by radioman148 View Post
    No WLS or WSCR I’m guessing because of WFAN & WCBS tower.
    Oh yeah forgot about those. I get them but they are full of splatter but they are receiveable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12