• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

May 2018

The House is far more likely to zero out the funding, despite your best hopes that it'll sail through. Since 'Congress' consists of both portions of the legislature, this is hardly indicative of how the combined body feels, or how the funding might fare when it comes to choosing something of value or funding CPB.

Not if you look at the members of the committee. Tom Cole is a big fan of public broadcasting, as is Rod Freylinghuysen and Dan Newhouse. If you look at the states, many are beneficiaries of this funding. Getting federal money to the home districts where it can fund local jobs and services is always popular before an election. It may not be as overwhelming as the Senate, but there's no reason to think it won't pass.

Last edited:
Not counting translators, there are 67 licensed stations in the Detroit MSA. Only 16 of them bill over $4 million.

...and 14 of those 16 are located on the FM band. :)

Assuming David is only examining commercially licensed stations here, by my count, that leaves only four FM stations in Detroit that bill less than $4 million annually (not counting 88.7 and 93.9 from Windsor, which bill nowhere near $4 million a year. Years ago, even before Dave & Chuck left 89X, I believe that station was well short of $4 million).

Of the four stations that bill less than $4 million annually, we all know at least two of 'em are owned or LMA'd by Urban One - Praise 102.7 WPZR and Hot 107.5 WGPR.

I have no idea what 103.5 WMUZ bills.

If 105.1 The Bounce already cracked the $4 million barrier in 2017, that's pretty impressive. The last estimates I had access to (2016) showed both 93.1 & 106.7 barely missing the $4 million mark.

I wonder if CKLW bills over $4M? They are #1, by far, in Windsor, but that is a small market. They do carry at least three syndicated shows so they can clear the Detroit market.

...and 14 of those 16 are located on the FM band. :)

24 commercial FMs in the Detroit MSA, including CIMX and CIDR.

Assuming David is only examining commercially licensed stations here, by my count, that leaves only four FM stations in Detroit that bill less than $4 million annually (not counting 88.7 and 93.9 from Windsor, which bill nowhere near $4 million a year.

In the MSA there are 8 FMs billing under $4 million.

I have no idea what 103.5 WMUZ bills.

Between $1 and $1.2 milliion.

If 105.1 The Bounce already cracked the $4 million barrier in 2017, that's pretty impressive.

It is nearly double that figure for '17.

The last estimates I had access to (2016) showed both 93.1 & 106.7 barely missing the $4 million mark.

WDRQ was under $1.5 million in 2016 (and up about 20% in 2017), and WDTW was just at $5 million (and flat in 2017).

WDTW was billing $5 million- that should be more than enough to be profitable in a market like Detroit. That makes their decision to flip to “Alt” even more cringeworthy.

Re:

WDTW was billing $5 million- that should be more than enough to be profitable in a market like Detroit. That makes their decision to flip to “Alt” even more cringeworthy.

I agree completely! Bear in mind 106.7 The D spent very little on air talent, so profit margins were likely attractive to boot. I think it's highly unlikely that Alt 106.7 will be to achieve revenue figures in that range.

24 commercial FMs in the Detroit MSA, including CIMX and CIDR.

Well, David, you did say "MSA." :) In contrast, I focused only on the stations that provide solid coverage of the Big 3 counties - Wayne, Oakland and Macomb.

The Class A stations based in Lapeer, Livingston and St. Clair counties only serve a small fraction of the Metro Area at large. WHMI is a "Howell" station, WQUS is a "Lapeer" station, and both WGRT and WSAQ are "Port Huron" stations. All are located inside of the Nielsen MSA, but for all intents & purposes, none of those stations are regarded by the general public or the local advertising community as "Detroit" radio stations. None can be heard with any consistency within 25 miles of downtown Detroit. Frankly, one has to get about 40 miles outside of downtown to get a really good signal from any of them.

With all of that technical mumbo jumbo out of the way, I would definitely like to say "thanks!" for the enlightening info you provided on WMUZ, WMGC, WDRQ and WDTW-FM.

If true, $1.8 million in 2017 for WDRQ is just horrendous! There are five or six FM stations in Grand Rapids that outperform that number! I wonder what percentage of avails during syndicated programming are sold at the corporate (national) level? Could such a practice be making DRQ's number look worse than it truly is?

Cumulus should just sell its Detroit cluster to Beasley already and call it a day. WJR, WDVD and WDRQ would pair nicely with WRIF, WCSX and WMGC.

Cumulus should just sell its Detroit cluster to Beasley already and call it a day. WJR, WDVD and WDRQ would pair nicely with WRIF, WCSX and WMGC.

Unless something changed in their approach to sales, they really need those stations for national sales.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom