• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Ratings released 6/12/18

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
The Boston ratings came out on 6/12/18.

Observations from someone outside the market. NPR station WBUR-FM got a nice jump, while the other NPR station WGBH-FM was down slightly. WBZ-FM was up some. WEEI-FM was down some. (Interesting. I thought they do well during baseball season). The only other observation I have is whether the ratings went up or down they didn't go up or down too significantly.

Full numbers here: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb013

WKAF beats WJMN?
(WKAF has had some surges before....makes me wonder how well this format would do on a full signal that people knew about...)

WODS lowest in 4 months?
(I think of this when I see their billboards around town.)

WBUR doing great!
(So many people in the business write off this station as "just a non-comm" or "educational" station. Many people I have spoken to tell me they have never listened to this station. Seems like this station is really becoming THE "news station" for the next generation. Boston's largest radio newsroom! ;-) Which, these days, isn't very hard. Given that many stations have no newsroom.)

Yeah, I know, I know...it's only 6+...but you can see some trends.

....and Krazy K00000nah continues to be an anchor around RKO's neck....

During today's 4 pm top of the hour news on WRKO's iHeart stream, a bizarre remix/loop of promos for Kuhner Sat. replays ("Collusion, could not be proved") and The Lutheran Hour ("Jesus...don't you care about me?"). The parable about the fisherman and Kuhner/Carr Sat. reruns was eventually replaced by weather and traffic.

I think WKAF has beat WJMN once or twice before...

I think they would make WJMN a Mainstream Urban if the signal weren't so big. The problem is the station has so many loyal listeners in Northern MA/Southern NH where the Black population is too low. It would be a wasted signal-they would might even be better served goin Tropical FM (due to Essex County and Suffolk County both being 20%+ Latino) than Mainstream Urban on WJMN.

Iheart needs to keep the station Rhymic but they MUST MUST add more NEW MUSIC and move their local show to the day time not 10-12 sunday. Has to be 12-2 Sunday. Boston hip hop artists are getting more plays outside of Boston than in it. Ive heard them in Baltimore and LA.

WKAF might work on JAMNS signal but if they switched jamn to WKAF it would require a change of name and JAMN would have to switch to Mainstream Urban because it would be much more lucrative in that Boston-Brockton area than Rhthymic.

WJMN plays so much early 2000s hip hop- young people in Greater Boston have been hearing them play the same songs their ENTIRE LIVES-thats why they are in a constant decline. I cant even remember what they played in the early 2000s- think it was Tag Team and Black Street.

During today's 4 pm top of the hour news on WRKO's iHeart stream, a bizarre remix/loop of promos for Kuhner Sat. replays ("Collusion, could not be proved") and The Lutheran Hour ("Jesus...don't you care about me?"). The parable about the fisherman and Kuhner/Carr Sat. reruns was eventually replaced by weather and traffic.

Sunday there was dead air for about 20 minutes from ~8:40 until the automated news broadcast at 9am.

Today, their iheart feed is busted... keeps playing the same 2-3 minute segment of Barry Armstrong over and over again, for hours now.

How long before the Bull and Jam'n swap signals? Seriously, there is no reason to keep Jam'n - which has been underperforming for several years now - on the powerful 94.5 MHz signal.

If Beasley is going to insist on the use of WRIF Detroit air talent for Alt 92.9, then at least flip the damn station to a compatible music format. If I were them, I'd gun straight for WAAF. Otherwise, get a morning show that isn't crude & offensive, and get a PM drive host that (a) is LOCAL and (b) doesn't sound like a biker. Don't get me wrong - Al Beck is a perfectly capable air personality - on a ROCK station, not a weak sauced "Alternative" station.

How long before the Bull and Jam'n swap signals? Seriously, there is no reason to keep Jam'n - which has been underperforming for several years now - on the powerful 94.5 MHz signal.

The only reason I see NOT to do it....is that 101.7 is a signal that is centered North of Boston. So the Urban format would be less powerful in the (inner) city...and Brockton, etc.

And, second, the Country format is more focused on suburban listeners.

$.02

Jam'n is still in the top 10 in billings, and although it is off from a few years ago, there is no reason to mess with it. Changes of frequency tend to create audience confusion and at least temporary ratings dips, so there is a cost and risk involved. When there is no reason to make such a change, better to look for ways to improve the existing frequency and format performance.

Also worth considering is the state of rhythmic CHR product vs. a few years ago. That segment of the CHR sector tends to be cyclical.

If Beasley is going to insist on the use of WRIF Detroit air talent for Alt 92.9, then at least flip the damn station to a compatible music format. If I were them, I'd gun straight for WAAF.

Uh, 92.9 outbills WAAF.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom