• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKSF-AM 910 to flip back to talk radio

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35582

Previously KKSF-AM was Spanish Sports/talk and the flip will take place on June 12th.

iHeartMedia San Francisco will flip Spanish Sports KKSF-AM to Progressive Talk as "Real Talk 910" under new Program Director Cory Callewaert. The station will debut on June 12 and features a programming line-up lead by Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman and Norman Goldman, along with consumer expert Clark Howard. In addition to a syndicated talk line-up, Real Talk 910 will introduce new podcast content, beginning with the iHeartRadio "Daily Dive" news podcast which will air weekdays at 5:40am.

"Hosts like Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman, and Norman Goldman have a history in the market from a time that was nowhere near as politically charged as today's environment," said Senior VP/Programming Don Parker. "Given their alignment with the liberal-leaning make-up of The Bay Area, we believe they will resonate well with listeners. In addition, our forward-thinking programming approach will take advantage of being based in the tech capitol of the world with an ever increasing amount of podcast content featured as part of our weekly broadcast schedule."

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35582

Previously KKSF-AM was Spanish Sports/talk and the flip will take place on June 12th.

I don't predict much success for this format. The problem is, IMO - that liberals tend not to need a "ditto-head" sounding board to endorse their belief system. I'm not trying to say that liberals are superior to conservatives, but I think it's been proven that conservatives want that angry talk-radio sounding board. Liberals - not so much. Just compare the ratings over the years for the Rushbo/Hannity audience compared to the...uh...who is a famous liberal radio talk host, anyway? I'm blanking.

Besides, most liberal radio listeners are tuned in to NPR, in any case.

Speaking for myself, I'm already pissed off enough about the political state of this country, I really don't need to get any angrier by listening to bloviating talk show hosts. Ugh!

I don't predict much success for this format. The problem is, IMO - that liberals tend not to need a "ditto-head" sounding board to endorse their belief system. I'm not trying to say that liberals are superior to conservatives, but I think it's been proven that conservatives want that angry talk-radio sounding board. Liberals - not so much. Just compare the ratings over the years for the Rushbo/Hannity audience compared to the...uh...who is a famous liberal radio talk host, anyway? I'm blanking.

Besides, most liberal radio listeners are tuned in to NPR, in any case.

Speaking for myself, I'm already pissed off enough about the political state of this country, I really don't need to get any angrier by listening to bloviating talk show hosts. Ugh!

"The problem is, IMO - that liberals tend not to need a "ditto-head" sounding board to endorse their belief system." In the Bay Area, progressives don't really need to look to the radio to endorse their belief system, since they can look to their peers for this, since much of the Bay is becoming an echo chamber for progressives. Bay Area conservatives are the ones who need talk-shows to find like-minded beliefs. But you are right there doesn't seem to be much of a market for progressive talk, how long did Air America last?

As for me, I tend to avoid echo chambers of all stripes.

"The problem is, IMO - that liberals tend not to need a "ditto-head" sounding board to endorse their belief system." In the Bay Area, progressives don't really need to look to the radio to endorse their belief system, since they can look to their peers for this, since much of the Bay is becoming an echo chamber for progressives. Bay Area conservatives are the ones who need talk-shows to find like-minded beliefs. But you are right there doesn't seem to be much of a market for progressive talk, how long did Air America last?

As for me, I tend to avoid echo chambers of all stripes.

I echo you sentiments. :rolleyes: It has been said often, but in the Bay Area, we live in a bubble within a bubble. Exhibit 1: the SF Mayor's race in which one left-leaning candidate is opposed by leftier-leaning candidates because she is too "pro-business."

The fact that it's all syndicated means it's basically an automated throw-away for iHeart. They'll use it to promote their podcast network.

Interesting that iHeart owns KKSF but most of the shows listed will be from Cumulus-owned Westwood One... Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann and Clark Howard. I'm not sure who syndicates Norman Goldman, based at 950 KTNF Minneapolis. Of course, iHeart's Premiere Networks does not have any progressive or liberal hosts.

On the other hand, I see Cumulus-owned KGO runs Coast to Coast AM, a Premiere show. Sometimes its hosts go a bit into conservative politics but most of the time it's non-political and could work on a progressive talk station.

iHeart does have one progressive talk outlet, 1350 KABQ Albuquerque, which has the same line up, Miller, Hartmann, Goldman and Howard.

Interesting that iHeart owns KKSF but most of the shows listed will be from Cumulus-owned Westwood One... Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann and Clark Howard. I'm not sure who syndicates Norman Goldman, based at 950 KTNF Minneapolis. Of course, iHeart's Premiere Networks does not have any progressive or liberal hosts.

On the other hand, I see Cumulus-owned KGO runs Coast to Coast AM, a Premiere show. Sometimes its hosts go a bit into conservative politics but most of the time it's non-political and could work on a progressive talk station.

iHeart does have one progressive talk outlet, 1350 KABQ Albuquerque, which has the same line up, Miller, Hartmann, Goldman and Howard.

I don't know how true this has been for radio over the years, but it's been true of TV for at least a couple of decades. Fox produced shows run on NBC, the occasional CBS produced show runs on ABC, and so forth. I've often wondered, if CBS is producing a show, why don't they just run it on their own network? But I realize that the whole distribution thing is more complicated than that.

The bottom line point is to make money - however that works.

The bottom line point is to make money - however that works.

And as I said in another thread, sometimes you can make more money by charging cash for your content than by selling the airtime yourself. I see this time and time again, especially with sports rights. But in radio, a few years ago, Lew Dickey threatened to drop Rush from Cumulus stations. It ended up being an empty threat, and the only change was in NYC, where iHeart bought WOR, and moved Rush there from WABC. I'm reminded of the quote attributed to George Patton about dying for one's country.

The cash you get from a competitor for carrying their show is worth twice as much as the spots you get by airing that show yourself. Because the cash you get is a cost that's charged to that company's budget. So your hurt their bottom line, plus you make money on the barter spots from their ratings. Why wouldn't you do that?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom