• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: May 2018

I guess if I were forced to have thoughts, I'd wonder if Beasley, iHeart, or Entercom have any formats they're excited about that might eventually show up in place of BEN-FM, Real 106.1, or TDY. Of the three, I feel like TDY is most vulnerable since BEN and Real are easier to package with sister-stations.

I guess if I were forced to have thoughts, I'd wonder if Beasley, iHeart, or Entercom have any formats they're excited about that might eventually show up in place of BEN-FM, Real 106.1, or TDY. Of the three, I feel like TDY is most vulnerable since BEN and Real are easier to package with sister-stations.

I've wondered if XTU's billing is good enough to go after in Philly. Have iHeart Launch Big 106.1 or something like that, and clear the Bobby Bones show in the market. Again, it all matters if the $$ could be worth it.

I've wondered if XTU's billing is good enough to go after in Philly. Have iHeart Launch Big 106.1 or something like that, and clear the Bobby Bones show in the market. Again, it all matters if the $$ could be worth it.

I'm sure it's been discussed, especially after this past Saturday's Chesney concert at Lincoln Financial. Huge coup to have the Super Bowl trophy and the team show up. More people there than the WH.

XTU is about 5th in market billings, and about 35% behind WBEB.

There are around $14 million country dollars in the market, based on a station being just inside the top 10 in 25-54 on average (in Jan-Feb-Mar averaged they were 12th in that demo).

If there were two stations, it is likely that the billing would be split, and neither station would be in even the top 15 in the sales demos; that would mean that the country revenue would decline, and there might be $10 to $12 million split between two stations. And then there is the considerable revenue loss that accompanies a major format shift where few, if any, advertisers would carry over.

The only iHeart station that is so revenue challenged that billing $5 or $6 million a year would be a gain would be low-billing WRFF.

Clearing Bobby Bones is not an automatic revenue source; music based morning shows are sold based on delivery, not clearances.

XTU is about 5th in market billings, and about 35% behind WBEB.

There are around $14 million country dollars in the market, based on a station being just inside the top 10 in 25-54 on average (in Jan-Feb-Mar averaged they were 12th in that demo).

If there were two stations, it is likely that the billing would be split, and neither station would be in even the top 15 in the sales demos; that would mean that the country revenue would decline, and there might be $10 to $12 million split between two stations. And then there is the considerable revenue loss that accompanies a major format shift where few, if any, advertisers would carry over.

The only iHeart station that is so revenue challenged that billing $5 or $6 million a year would be a gain would be low-billing WRFF.

Clearing Bobby Bones is not an automatic revenue source; music based morning shows are sold based on delivery, not clearances.

XTU seems to be in a sweet spot. Makes decent money, but not enough for someone to attack it!

I just realized that I didn't even mention the biggest thought: WRFF is in really bad shape right now. They can't sell it with good numbers and now the numbers are really in the tank. They're likely more vulnerable than all of the stations I mentioned previously.

WRFF is in really bad shape right now. They can't sell it with good numbers and now the numbers are really in the tank. They're likely more vulnerable than all of the stations I mentioned previously.

A lot of stations would love their numbers. They serve a purpose in the iHeart cluster. The company just launched a new podcast, and they'll use their alternative stations to drive audience to it.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bi...line_id=n35588

Now you’re just going to wake up someone who doesn’t want to hear that.

Oh yeah. Like maybe it'll do better if someone buys and shuts down an Urban One property. Ugh, it used to be humorous but now it's just tiresome.

A lot of stations would love their numbers. They serve a purpose in the iHeart cluster. The company just launched a new podcast, and they'll use their alternative stations to drive audience to it.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bi...line_id=n35588

The numbers could certainly be worse but even if they shot up to a 6-share and were 2nd in the demo, it seems ad buyers don't want it. It's a shame because when I hear 104.5, I usually think it's a good library.

Oh yeah. Like maybe it'll do better if someone buys and shuts down an Urban One property. Ugh, it used to be humorous but now it's just tiresome.

If you would get off your high horse with your "anyone that mentions an urban product" is racist, and realize the reason I mentioned 103.9 had nothing to do with the format or owners. I DO NOT care if it was the old WIBF, WDRE or whatever, it is the frequency, if you knew anything about radio instead of pushing your sick liberal agenda, you would know 103.9 is preventing 93.3 from entering the antenna farm, and if they were gone, MMR would have the same advantage as all the other signals, with the exception of 107.9 and 106.1 which is close anyway. BTW your constant anti-Alternative rants are more than tiresome.....

Last edited:
If you would get off your high horse with your "anyone that mentions an urban product" is racist, and realize the reason I mentioned 103.9 had nothing to do with the format or owners. I DO NOT care if it was the old WIBF, WDRE or whatever, it is the frequency, if you knew anything about radio instead of pushing your sick liberal agenda, you would know 103.9 is preventing 93.3 from entering the antenna farm, and if they were gone, MMR would have the same advantage as all the other signals, with the exception of 107.9 and 106.1 which is close anyway. BTW your constant anti-Alternative rants are more than tiresome.....

Judging by 93.3's ratings, they're doing just fine without broadcasting from the Tower Farm. Their advantage is the juggernaut that is Preston and Steve, plus a legendary midday host and 50 years of heritage.

"Sick liberal agenda"? Haha. You are a real piece of work. BTW: I didn't mention racist. You did, racist.

I am fascinated by how much higher the ratings are for WOGL compared to Ben-FM. Other than some of the 90s and 2000s music, their 80s selection are much more diverse and I think better. You hear everything from Warrant to Tone Loc, from Motley Crue to Bell Biv Devoe. Any ideas why??? I am thinking because WOGL is living off of their name...either that or I just like music that no one else likes lol.

WOGL is living off of their name...either that or I just like music that no one else likes lol.

I think the latter. As we often point out, tighter and more focused playlists are usually more successful that unfocused playlists.

But in a market like Philadelphia, there's an audience for both. Just one gets better ratings.

I am fascinated by how much higher the ratings are for WOGL compared to Ben-FM. Other than some of the 90s and 2000s music, their 80s selection are much more diverse and I think better. You hear everything from Warrant to Tone Loc, from Motley Crue to Bell Biv Devoe. Any ideas why??? I am thinking because WOGL is living off of their name...either that or I just like music that no one else likes lol.

WOGL is going for an audience centered in the late '80s that's less accepting of rap/hip-hop and hard rock/hair bands. Ben seems to be going for a younger demographic.

WOGL is going for an audience centered in the late '80s that's less accepting of rap/hip-hop and hard rock/hair bands. Ben seems to be going for a younger demographic.

Not sure about that. "Younger" may be relative. Ben just played REO Speedwagon & Mellencamp.

Ben is more rock, WOGL is more pop. If you grew up with WMMR, then you probably prefer Ben.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom